Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #8,881 of 64,386
  A friend of mine has an ED9 but I didn't really like it so I'll give the ED4 a shot. I was once a basshead but ever since I've had my B3P1 and Carbo Tenore my preferences have changed.

I don't have the ED4 so can't comment sorry.
Just make sure of a couple things with the ED9, first the tiny paper filters on the inside of the brass nozzles need to be in place...not curled up or missing. Also if you unscrew the nozzles there should be a screen inside the actual body in front of the driver. I call it a driver screen but could be wrong on that terminology...either way it should be there to protect the driver itself and also defuse some of the sound...

I also used a tiny bit of a porous air filter material in the nozzles to defuse the sound a bit more...great results. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #8,882 of 64,386

cool.gif
CAD you just answered my question: why the heck are you playing around with a $50 pair of Headphones when you Have a Pair of Senns? I adore my 600's. In fact I've grown to like them better than my 650's which are just a tad too veiled. If I want bright I just throw in my AKG 701's or 702's and I'm there. I did the Bass mod on the 702's so now they are a little fuller sounding like the Quincys.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

I love options...I have the HD600, DT880 & K612's and enjoy them all. I also have 3 separate hp systems set up at the house. I've been an audiophile for years and love listening...it's like therapy for me. I did a ton of research before deciding on the 600 vs 650 and think I made the right decision although the HD650 is an excellent hp from what I've read and I almost went that route. 

This KZ journey has been an absolute blast and I'm amazed what KZ can do for 6 to 12 bucks! 
I think some of the prerequisites for posting even on these cheaper hp's is you should own the hp...let them burn in a bit...do some tip rolling and listen to several genres for at least several days before passing judgment. JMHO
Go KZ!

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8,884 of 64,386
  Prob the EVO...it's a very fun listen. The EVO needs the foam mod to tame some excessive low end (details on the EVO forum) but after the mod it sounds great especially for the price.
The 668b needs some serious burn-in but after, is also very good for the price. I use the velour pads with both, don't listen to them much with the DT880's & HD600's on hand but they are a nice option to have and are pretty easy to drive.

Cool, guess I'll be picking up the EVO and maybe the 668B at some point. As far as I've heard, some people say the newer EVO doesn't need the mod. I'd love to have some HD600's but as a broke college student I take what I can get. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8,885 of 64,386
I usually like to spend a few weeks with a new product before I post impressions. Try numerous tips, work on the fit, etc. that way your giving the product a fair chance, and not misleading potential buyers with misinformation.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #8,887 of 64,386
  Cool, guess I'll be picking up the EVO and maybe the 668B at some point. As far as I've heard, some people say the newer EVO doesn't need the mod. I'd love to have some HD600's but as a broke college student I take what I can get. 

Let me tell you the EVO (and 668) sound pretty good and you could do a lot worse. Listen to the EVO when they come in and if they have a bit too much bass for you check if they have a thick black piece of felt glued to the driver screen... mine did and I think mine were the newer version...anyway carefully remove it and replace it with a thinner piece of material. I used a white 100% cotton makeup pad thingy I stole from my wife and it was a great improvement. Some people remove the felt and don't replace it with anything but that was a little too much for me. I think you'll like the EVO it's a good inexpensive full size can...great fun. I've been listening to my Superlux's in between listening to KZ's and they are a blast if you aren't too critical on them. 
Finish your education and get yourself a decent job, you can then get whatever headphones you want. 
smile.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #8,888 of 64,386
I usually like to spend a few weeks with a new product before I post impressions. Try numerous tips, work on the fit, etc. that way your giving the product a fair chance, and not misleading potential buyers with misinformation.

I've been reading your posts for a while now raybone and you've got my respect.
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #8,889 of 64,386
Both of us said the same about the ED9.
The ed9 is quite high regarded and most people feel it's the best KZ offering. The fact that you find the treble harsh is to be honest, unusual because most members do not. That's the reason I suggested tip rolling. Tip rolling by way, does not mean try another KZ tip. In fact, I don't use KZ tips on any of my earphones. I usually discard them an opt for my preferred tip. That's why I don't post impressions immediately as I feel you need time to get to know the earphone. You may even have to make mods. With ed9 tip selection was all I had to change. Lots of factors go into finding the best sound. that could take a day, week, or longer.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #8,890 of 64,386
Totally agree on the part on tip rolling. Tips do make a difference..isolation, width of bores,comfort.. sometimes the thickness of the material will affect comfort too.. some prefer the biflange or triflanges..

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #8,891 of 64,386
Let me tell you the EVO (and 668) sound pretty good and you could do a lot worse. Listen to the EVO when they come in and if they have a bit too much bass for you check if they have a thick black piece of felt glued to the driver screen... mine did and I think mine were the newer version...anyway carefully remove it and replace it with a thinner piece of material. I used a white 100% cotton makeup pad thingy I stole from my wife and it was a great improvement. Some people remove the felt and don't replace it with anything but that was a little too much for me. I think you'll like the EVO it's a good inexpensive full size can...great fun. I've been listening to my Superlux's in between listening to KZ's and they are a blast if you aren't too critical on them. 
Finish your education and get yourself a decent job, you can then get whatever headphones you want. :smile:
+1 on the Evo. I have 668b and 660 too. All really sound good especially for the price. My order of preference is Evo, 660, 668b.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #8,892 of 64,386
The ed9 is quite high regarded and most people feel it's the best KZ offering. The fact that you find the treble harsh is to be honest, unusual because most members do not. That's the reason I suggested tip rolling. Tip rolling by way, does not mean try another KZ tip. In fact, I don't use KZ tips on any of my earphones. I usually discard them an opt for my preferred tip. That's why I don't post impressions immediately as I feel you need time to get to know the earphone. You may even have to make mods. With ed9 tip selection was all I had to change. Lots of factors go into finding the best sound. that could take a day, week, or longer.

It's not like we don't have any tips. I tried every tip I had in my bag, triple flange, double flange, whirlwind, foam and they don't change the sound.
I already put it out there and yet you feel the need to correct my opinion (at least that's you seem like to me) when someone else has a vastly different opinion. It's just a genuinely hot IEM that I heard and it's not a tinny sound either resulting from poor fit. It's highly regarded but what if a trained ear who looks for a neutral signature and a top end that doesn't sound like "teeth"? That wasn't going to happen and it's not like the source is to blame either I've used the same source for over a billion IEMs and my phone is highly regarded as a neutral good driver of any IEMs.
Also it's not my first time buying a KZ either. You could call my KZ collection vast.
But I'm getting rid of most of them because they don't match up to the S3 simple as that.

One last thing, on the xiaomi hybrid thread many said that it is dark and yet I get people telling me not to stop saying it's dark just because Twin a older member said it's not? Oppression?
Just to confirm again, crownest also tried the hybrid and it's anything but bright.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #8,893 of 64,386
It's not like we don't have any tips. I tried every tip I had in my bag, triple flange, double flange, whirlwind, foam and they don't change the sound.
I already put it out there and yet you feel the need to correct my opinion (at least that's you seem like to me) when someone else has a vastly different opinion. It's just a genuinely hot IEM that I heard and it's not a tinny sound either resulting from poor fit. It's highly regarded but what if a trained ear who looks for a neutral signature and a top end that doesn't sound like "teeth"? That wasn't going to happen and it's not like the source is to blame either I've used the same source for over a billion IEMs and my phone is highly regarded as a neutral good driver of any IEMs.
Also it's not my first time buying a KZ either. You could call my KZ collection vast.
But I'm getting rid of most of them because they don't match up to the S3 simple as that.

One last thing, on the xiaomi hybrid thread many said that it is dark and yet I get people telling me not to stop saying it's dark just because Twin a older member said it's not? Oppression?
Just to confirm again, crownest also tried the hybrid and it's anything but bright.

Ah well you're up against it now! You've clearly, articulately comunicated why in fact the 9's don't work for you as they do for most. The young guns are up in arms, the ageists would be up in arm if they could get them over their heads and you've maintained a cordial tone haven't resulted to taunts, insinuations or breast beating. I'm completely impressed not many can hold up under such pressure. That said the 9's do work for me ( puts me in the average group ) but they are no where near as good as my Zn1's ( back in the 1% group ) so my advise is stand tuff you're doing good and while average is nice it can always be better. Plus the rest of can always point to you and say " That guy yeah I heard about him" instant noteriety!

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #8,894 of 64,386
Brass has heavier bass than the gold, so it's warmer but the gold is neutral ... which makes it sound sharp and harsh, they are both equally sharp and harsh on both filters.

Ok. So I had spent some time with these (ed9) again after a quite long time and yes,they are harsh only when the volume is stepped up but no sibilance to me even at this level.I usually set the volume at 40-55% for normal listening and upto 80-90% only when my ears demand,which is rare. The harshness is in the upper mids and the treble is smooth,natural.The tips I used were the stock Ms.And btw,the filters (sound) are quite the other way around,for me,to yours.
Infact I prefer these to the one I bought lately by the name S3 (not kz's), ed9s blow them out of the water in many ways,to me....

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #8,895 of 64,386
Hey! I`m back from vacation! ;P If someone bothers, then fast feedback about new KZ IEM would be nice. As far as I remember last one I heard of was HDS1. Any newcomer that is on/above SQ level of ED9 / ATE-b / ED10 / HDS1 / ZN1 / ANV ?

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention that I received promo sample of KZ hands-free bluetooth 4.0 in-ear for smartphones. It works great and has silicone "leg" that holds it nicely in place. Haven`t tested battery life yet but so far good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back