Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #8,251 of 63,916
Took a break from the Titan 3 and 5 after using them non-stop this weekend and decided to give the ED8 some ear time today.

They are surprisingly good; clean treble with good extension, well defined mids, and of course, wonderful subbass. Midbass is nicely restrained so it doesn't bleed into the mids.

We're these not so stupidly massive and heavy, I could easily see them being a lot more popular.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #8,254 of 63,916
Warning: iPhone photos ahead. You've been warned.

Guess who!!

ED4 have arrived! Initial impressions coming shortly.

So are those really ED3's with a new type (round) vent screen in the back
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #8,255 of 63,916
So are those really ED3's with a new type (round) vent screen in the back:confused_face_2:

I personally couldn't tell ya! I have yet to pick up a pair, I may pick up the Silver Acme though. Here's another shot:

Stock tips don't come with an internal channel so they float on the stem of the ED4, exchanged for the KZ Comply's (which are freakin awesome, I should add!) and they slid all the way down the stem, so I've got a decently deep insertion.

OOTB Initial Impressions:
Puts on, sounds like crap out of my m2, throws onto my phone and choose Sublime radio. "Once Again" by Pressure comes on... Wait, are these KZ?
Double check, yep definitely. I keep listening and I'm fathomed by their clarity and BALANCE. What, a normal sized driver with horror bass being balanced!? I'm confused too, don't worry.
These sound PHENOMENAL. I put them back on my m2, and threw on "abnormalize" by Ling Tosite Sigure since I know the song quite well.
Separation is amazing, there's plenty of microdetail but it's slightly veiled. TK's voice sounds so natural and true to the song, the quick strumming and distortion of the electric guitars sound awesome. I compared these to my Rock Zircons and they're damn near identical in sound, with the ED4 feeling a bit more balanced across the bass spectrum. Some more listening seems to have revealed a hyped treble, TwinACStacks might get a headache from these. Seems there's slight sibilance on loud cymbal clashes and possibly some loud, high freq. synths.

"Gula Redeux" by deadmau5 you can really feel the sub bass wobbles, and the piano shines beautifully but isn't drowned out by the background synths. The drop has amazing separation and once again, insane coherence. There's a decently wide soundstage here, honestly. Everything is just so damn coherent, and I've been ONLY listening to my HD598 lately. These compliment quite well.

Also, switching to the stock zs1 tips (red core) it seems a bit bass heavy now. I'm also not getting as deep of an insertion with these tips, which may be giving more room to the IEM for the bass to resonate. Seems to be more sibilant now too. I'm going back to the foams.

Hope ya'll enjoyed my first ever impression/review for an OOTB.

Also about the back: the entire back is actually just for show, or atleast it would seem. The wire mesh sits atop a metal or paper backing with two vent holes on each bud, aligned vertically so that they sit above and below the round center plate.
Covering the back reduces the bass.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #8,256 of 63,916
I personally couldn't tell ya! I have yet to pick up a pair, I may pick up the Silver Acme though. Here's another shot:

Stock tips don't come with an internal channel so they float on the stem of the ED4, exchanged for the KZ Comply's (which are freakin awesome, I should add!) and they slid all the way down the stem, so I've got a decently deep insertion.

OOTB Initial Impressions:
Puts on, sounds like crap out of my m2, throws onto my phone and choose Sublime radio. "Once Again" by Island Roots Riddim comes on... Wait, are these KZ?
Double check, yep definitely. I keep listening and I'm fathomed by their clarity and BALANCE. What, a normal sized driver with horror bass being balanced!? I'm confused too, don't worry.
These sound PHENOMENAL. I put them back on my m2, and threw on "abnormalize" by Ling Tosite Sigure since I know the song quite well.
Separation is amazing, there's plenty of microdetail but it's slightly veiled. TK's voice sounds so natural and true to the song, the quick strumming and distortion of the electric guitars sound awesome. I compared these to my Rock Zircons and they're damn near identical in sound, with the ED4 feeling a bit more balanced across the bass spectrum. Some more listening seems to have revealed a hyped treble, @TwinACStacks might get a headache from these. Seems there's slight sibilance on loud cymbal clashes and possibly some loud, high freq. synths.

"Gula Redeux" by deadmau5 you can really feel the sub bass wobbles, and the piano shines beautifully but isn't drowned out by the background synths. The drop has amazing separation and once again, insane coherence. There's a decently wide soundstage here, honestly. Everything is just so damn coherent, and I've been ONLY listening to my HD598 lately. These compliment quite well.

Hope ya'll enjoyed my first ever impression/review for an OOTB.

THX Fallrsk, I feel the same about these and the only difference I'm seeing is the vents holes in the back!

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #8,257 of 63,916
Hmm... Podster you playin tricks on me or is that an accidental HDS1 pic? But yeah, judging by pictures the ED4 seems to be the true successor to the ED3.

The bass scales well to different songs by the way, listening to some Childish Gambino "You See Me" you get some serious horror bass, but it's all sub bass. Yet, I can get decently natural sounding drums and bass chords from instrumental music.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #8,258 of 63,916
Hmm... @Podster you playin tricks on me or is that an accidental HDS1 pic? But yeah, judging by pictures the ED4 seems to be the true successor to the ED3.

The bass scales well to different songs by the way, listening to some Childish Gambino "You See Me" you get some serious horror bass, but it's all sub bass. Yet, I can get decently natural sounding drums and bass chords from instrumental music.

No, I originally meant to say the HDS1's but could not get the ED3 out of my head! They are just staying to close now and I'm not sure big changes are happening between KZ releases anymore
blink.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #8,260 of 63,916
Anyone have already compared the xiaomi hybrid with the kz ed9??
which one is better?

Look here - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/665111

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #8,262 of 63,916
Swapping tips for the "Xiaomi hybrids" makes a BIG difference in altering its' sound. So, don't give-up on them, yet!

Even though the picture below is not the Xiaomi hybrids, these are the silicone tips I use on them.

....They are narrow-bore tips.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #8,264 of 63,916
Tingo FL800's are really good!.....after 50 hours, they really open up!

@Igor,

Did you ask for an exchange on these?

They start-up sounding like the wires are crossed and 3D-like, also weird sounding with literally little bass. But, after 50 hours of burning them in they have great texture and a clear and wide soundstage. It sounds very transparent. These are great for monitoring purposes! I love these! They look identical to the originals with no sign of the Tingo logo name on the IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back