Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 30, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #59,971 of 64,384
You can be a good critic of AS16 pro, looking forward to your impressions.
Please try AST with 30 Ohm and possibly with 48 Ohm - you may like it much more. Though all of these IEM are far from basshead and geared more to classical/acoustic music.

Sorry to hear about it!
The previous mesh was more open and better then.

First, if it helps I run my two ASX without any mesh (totally freeing the sound:)), iit works OK given ear wax is not much of a problem.

AE sells IEM mesh already with the glue and at very reasonable prices: here is the link.

You need 5.0 mm for AS16 pro, the opening is a bit larger - 5.1 mm or so.
Thank you. Didn't realize the mesh comes with glue. I don't notice anything bad about the sound now that I removed the mesh on the left side, but I don't think I have the best critical listening since I usually like earphones that receive horrible reviews. :)

I can't tell...is the mesh screen on the AS16 Pro metal or something else. I need a magnifying glass as it's hard to tell.

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #59,972 of 64,384
On my AS16 Pro the left-side volume became extremely low and muffled, very obvious. The sound just about disappeared completely at one point, and then returned some, but still obviously way too low.

Today I used a needle to pull out the mesh screen, and now as far as I can tell the volume is back to normal.
I'm not sure what the issue was. I only used them a handful of times, and I don't have any wax issues that would plug them.

All I can think, is that it has something to do with the glue on the mesh screen. There is glue all around the perimeter with just a small opening in the middle. I wonder if the glue moved as the earphone was used and got warm.

So anyway, how do I put a new & better mesh filter on? I'm not sure what size or material to get, and not too sure how to put it on. Do I need some special glue?
Use micropore paper tape. Normally you'd poke a small hole with a pin, or cut a small wedge near the edge with a fine pointed blade. You may not need to with an all BA set. The AS16 Pro doesn't have a BA in the nozzle, so it's pretty safe to do. The tape already has adhesive and comes off again easily. Trim it after it's stuck down, you can press it down around the sides of the nozzle if it isn't trimmed exactly to fit.

If that works, you can save yourself the annoyance of waiting for an order from AE. It may also pay to do both sides as you won't get a perfect match with the existing filter.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #59,973 of 64,384
What have u change?
1) contacts (+) and (-) set as it should (in stock was (+ wire ) -> (- board ), (- wire )-> (+ board ) );
2) added resistors: 10 ohms for mids BA, 47 ohms for highs BA;
3) put capacitors 2.2uf in parallel for mid BA

Now sounds more better than stock: deeper bass, puncher mids, warmer highs.
No sibilants, no BIG-BASS, very good sound for metal/industrial/pop

i put my graph into KZ discord but no feedback from KZ haha :)

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #59,974 of 64,384
Use micropore paper tape. Normally you'd poke a small hole with a pin, or cut a small wedge near the edge with a fine pointed blade. You may not need to with an all BA set. The AS16 Pro doesn't have a BA in the nozzle, so it's pretty safe to do. The tape already has adhesive and comes off again easily. Trim it after it's stuck down, you can press it down around the sides of the nozzle if it isn't trimmed exactly to fit.

If that works, you can save yourself the annoyance of waiting for an order from AE. It may also pay to do both sides as you won't get a perfect match with the existing filter.
Yeah I'd definitely do both sides. Right now the side without the mesh is louder/not-as-mellow as the side with the original mesh.
Since the original mesh has such tight spacing does it contribute significantly towards the tuning? It seems like it must due to how tight it is.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #59,975 of 64,384
Should it be quiter when you add impedance?
yes correct The impedance adapter works as it lowers volume by half but when i crank up the volume to about same levels the sound signature is very subdued, even the mids and treble. however the impedance switch on the dac that switches between high a low has no effect whatsoever. haven't tried the impedance switch with the adapter though

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #59,976 of 64,384
Yeah I'd definitely do both sides. Right now the side without the mesh is louder/not-as-mellow as the side with the original mesh.
Since the original mesh has such tight spacing does it contribute significantly towards the tuning? It seems like it must due to how tight it is.
instead of removing the original mesh i wonder if wash with alcohol and cotton bud might it remove some of the excess glue. or another idea is to use a fine needle to poke and enlarge the holes on the original mesh without removing it.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #59,977 of 64,384
instead of removing the original mesh i wonder if wash with alcohol and cotton bud might it remove some of the excess glue. or another idea is to use a fine needle to poke and enlarge the holes on the original mesh without removing it.
Isopropyl alcohol does act as a mild solvent (i.e. good for removing sticker residue for instance) and will evaporate pretty quickly (especially the higher concentrations >90%).

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #59,978 of 64,384
Good idea...too bad I already removed and mangled it. I still wonder why the volume almost disappeared completely and then came back some.
Hopefully I didn't harm the drivers by playing them full-blast in order to make a couple of videos to show the seller the issue.
If it really was the mesh, then I still have never had a driver go bad in any of my earphones, which is pretty impressive I think.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #59,979 of 64,384
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #59,981 of 64,384
Anyone got reports on the just released zs10 Pro x?
A bit early yet, it's up for order about a day ago. All we have is KZ supplied FR graph, promo materials and price. No reviews yet.

The only video is basically just reading info off the KZ website. The armatures aren't new they have been used before on KZ ZAS, KZ ZAX and CCA CA16.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #59,982 of 64,384
Its the Black BA that they use occasionally.
but yeah, new BA compared to the old ZS10Pro

Not sure whether its the tuning or the BAs themselves but far general concensus on the black BA are pretty detailed, have a better tone, but a bit rolled off

my worry on ZS10Pro is the Bass shelf, if its like ESX, its a bit much for me as it start to bother other sounds in the song.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #59,984 of 64,384
Its the Black BA that they use occasionally.
but yeah, new BA compared to the old ZS10Pro

Not sure whether its the tuning or the BAs themselves but far general concensus on the black BA are pretty detailed, have a better tone, but a bit rolled off

my worry on ZS10Pro is the Bass shelf, if its like ESX, its a bit much for me as it start to bother other sounds in the song.

They seem to be a continuation of the KZ ZS10 Pro in only 2 ways

1: same faceplate
2: same name

So it's a new IEM trying to cash in on the popularity of an older model. Tuning is similar but looks to be less aggressive treble

They have no BA in the nozzle. They have 2 dual (identical) extended mid range BAs around the DD (similar to CCA CA16 configuration but less drivers). ZS10Pro had 2 mid range and 2 high frequency BAs (funnily enough the same ones as the new TRN ST5 uses).

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #59,985 of 64,384
They seem to be a continuation of the KZ ZS10 Pro in only 2 ways

1: same faceplate
2: same name

So it's a new IEM trying to cash in on the popularity of an older model. Tuning is similar but looks to be less aggressive treble

They have no BA in the nozzle. They have 2 dual (identical) extended mid range BAs around the DD (similar to CCA CA16 configuration but less drivers). ZS10Pro had 2 mid range and 2 high frequency BAs (funnily enough the same ones as the new TRN ST5 uses).
Its abit unique

ST5 boast a bit more upscale Berry DD but paired it with old Bellsing BA
ZS10Prox boast a new BA (black BAs) and seems to be in house DD

ST5 at $59 give full alloy shell and upscale cable with replacable jack
ZS10Prox at $39, some will arrive with unknown new cable but the usual resin+faceplate and kz barebone box
---

Next to ST5, TRN have TA1Max with 1 Berry Dd and 2 knowles BA with similar price.

Its the ol 5 driver war, all we missing is cca c10prox

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back