Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #59,791 of 63,922
Just got the KZ AS 16 Pro. Added a 10cm extension cable that I used on the LG V30 to trick it into quad dac mode. It's my only all BA set. Surprised the bass is so good and has impact. I like these, they sound good. Do all BA sets need burn-in? Using L Spiral Dots (Except for a NiceHCK single BA).

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #59,792 of 63,922
For split second I thought a of new multi driver KZ with great tuning because of "VX" word had me thinking about TRN VX
new single driver TWS, great tuning, questionable stability, batt life, codec and connection.

Wow I had PTSD listening to the TRN VX haha!
Super shouty and fatiguing (though it had good technicalities).

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #59,794 of 63,922
I find myself frustrated with iems because sometimes I find my self enjoying my beloved Zsr off my Coolpad phone more than my Xelento or n5005 via expensive dap, of course they aren't as refined, but man are they fun, powerful and Punchy lol.

I find myself frustrated because i cant buy 2 more ZSRs because KZ tweaked\ruined them. Their price-performance ratio was insane, actually end game for most people imo.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #59,795 of 63,922
I find myself frustrated because i cant buy 2 more ZSRs because KZ tweaked\ruined them. Their price-performance ratio was insane, actually end game for most people imo.
I thought I was alone. Zsr was my first KZ IEM and I'm still loving the sound quality. The treble is a little piercing but deep bass and good soundstage.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #59,797 of 63,922
I ordered a pair also. Let's see how this will turn out. I haven't purchased any kz product since kz asx.
Btw there's less than 24 hours left for the seller to ship. And my impression about 'Earphone Factory Derect Store' won't be good i guess....

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #59,799 of 63,922
So this may be a dumb question, but ever since I got my custom molded Ultimate Ears UE5 Pros, I've always wondered as far as tech specs, how iems like my CCA Ca16 or CRA, compare?

Is it mostly just the custom fit, and driver details? The CCAs both sound wonderful, and almost have more bass than my UEs. I'm a drummer and use these mostly for on stage performance.

I can definitely tell I get more lows from the CCAs than the UEs.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #59,800 of 63,922
I continued to experiment with variable impedances, made a bit more refined version (balanced, 100-Ohm 10-turn resistors, variable connectivity):
20220812_194757.jpg

And the super winner of the higher impedance is AST! Just amazing: its quite loose and ample (for BA) bass gets more focused and refined, with more treble (!!) brought to life - the drivers are all there; while retaining smooth planar-like upper mids of the BA array at higher impedances (50-100 Ohm).

Good source is really helpful for handling higher loads properly.I largely experimented with Tempotec E44 and BHD, and a bit with CX31993 pro.

The later coupled with a simple volume control cable (1 kOhm):
20220812_194854.jpg

can bring non-balanced "variable impedance setup" for well under $20, so finally the cable that can really deliver all the infinite variations of sound beyond any wild imagination :) :)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #59,801 of 63,922

I definitely stand by my previous post (below).
It was a huge disappointment when all of the backup ZSRs I ordered had a different tuning than my original set. I was so disappointed. The v1 had the perfect amount of top end air and low end kick with a fairly good midrange. The v2 has lost the air. KZ dialed back the treble while thickening the bass. It's too slow and overwhelming. The ZSRv1 sounds like the ED16 with a much wider soundstage despite the ZSR's slight increase to its midbass punch. Unfortunately, while the ED16 is a very good in-ear, I prefer the ZSRv1 for its wider soundstage and thicker low end tuning. After my disappointment I actually had to order the last few ED16s available on Amazon so I could get as close to the ZSRv1 sound signature as possible. I can EQ them for midbass punch but the ZSRv1's super wide soundstage is reigned in on the ED16. The ZSRv2's wide soundstage is present but the presentation sounds veiled and dark in comparison.

IMO, KZ retuned the ZSR due to criticism in some reviews about the upper treble. Crinacle's graphs show a ridiculous spike at approximately 8khz but the treble on my ZSRv1 doesn't sound anywhere near that peaky. Anyway, when KZ retuned the ZSR they ruined it. My three backup ZSR's were a total of $75 (still have them). I should have returned them but I thought that perhaps I could open up a set and see if it's possible for me to work around KZ's neurotic behavior. Problem is my reluctance to risk damaging the only set of v1's I own.

It took a while but I've gotten over it because the BA10 and AS12 have superior tuning but the $75 could have gone towards a third BA10 or a handful of upgrade cables.

This is why I order multiple sets when they release something interesting. They typically, but not always, tune things right the first time (ZS1, ZS5, ZS6 and ZSR). Later, in an attempt to please everyone, they ruin not only the tuning but the very thing that made the model so entertaining.

One ZSRv1 and a few ED16s is plenty since they all work flawlessly and I only use them intermittently but the maladjusted tuning or any re-tuning without warning is simply unacceptable.

Still looking forward to the DQ6 and whatever else they may have on the drawing board.

The only option you have today is to locate an ES3 and purchase it/them before it disappears as well.
https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Dynamic-Hybrid-Headphones-without/dp/B076H3JZNJ

41By4UEQi2L._AC_SY1000_-1.jpg

It will not sound exactly the same but it will be close. The different faceplate and single balanced armature keep the ES3 a small step below the ZSR but because it is the same era it will have the same ZSR drivers and it will have the same stompin' bass and vivid yet restrained midrange. The ZSR (version1) has better definitionin in said midrange due to the dual balanced armatures. The ES3 will not have the ZSR wide and open soundstage but if you don't mind modding your ES3 you could probably open up the sound by removing the faceplate and drilling tiny holes in 3 or 4 strategic (see pic) but inconspicuous locations.

20220814_130703.jpg

If that is not acceptable or doable then my highest recommendation for a hybrid would be the ZSX.
It's next level in my opinion and it will not disappoint you.

https://www.amazon.com/KINBOOFI-Headphone-Earphone-Detachable-Musician/dp/B07XCKQVCL/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=2CUW3JFG62VGG&keywords=KZ+ZSX&qid=1660510020&sprefix=kz+zsx,aps,197&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

There is another seller on Amazon that sells the ZSX for approximately $53 as opposed to the $64 one in my included link but I can not post the link (banned vendor). You'll have to do your due diligence to find it but it's not difficult.

The ZSX vs ZSR.
a) different faceplates
b) ZSX has upgraded nozzle (with a lip this time)

ZSX pretty much fits exactly like a ZSR.

20220814_132332.jpg

20220814_132123.jpg

It has 5 balanced armatures as opposed to the 2 in the ZSR and thankfully KZ put only one in the nozzle.

20220814_133426.jpg

Bottom line:

You'll get a more refined sound that just as much "fun" as the beloved ZSR (version 1).
You'll get a more refined finished product (better nozzle, upgraded faceplate)
You'll get the same ergonomic fit.

The ZSX may be double the ZSR price but it's worth the investment if you plan on enjoying these for years.

The ZSX will not disappoint.

The DD bass grabs you and holds you without mercy.

You'll love it.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #59,802 of 63,922
ESX is very synergetically friendly IEM.
ESX continued to grow on me to become my favourite single DD (to complement all-BA IEMs).

Glad to hear it. ESX seems to be an interesting enough model to listen to and own (like the Tri-Dy DQ6).

I have two ESX and one CCA Lyra on order with upgrade cables for both.
$100+/- can still get you great gear in 2022.

I'm hoping the ESX can double up for "classical" duty in a pinch.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #59,803 of 63,922
Btw there's less than 24 hours left for the seller to ship. And my impression about 'Earphone Factory Derect Store' won't be good i guess....
My AS16 pros have left China. This is my forth order with Earphone Factory Derect Store, no problems with them so far. They have had more orders for KZ AS16 pro than any store except the KZ official store. Not surprising, given they have the best price. It could be because of low stock?

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #59,804 of 63,922
ESX is an interesting one. It’s the bassiest set in my collection by far and I still think it sounds pretty hazy and low-res even after switching to AET07 tips - recessed vocals, far-away cymbals, guitars lack bite, there’s an overall sense of hollowness to the sound. Yet every now and then I pick them up and still find them pretty enjoyable when I’m not thinking of these things.

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #59,805 of 63,922
My AS16 pros have left China. This is my forth order with Earphone Factory Derect Store, no problems with them so far. They have had more orders for KZ AS16 pro than any store except the KZ official store. Not surprising, given they have the best price. It could be because of low stock?
Mine also left. The seller shipped before right before the deadline. It could be a low stock issue because that seller indeed got a lot of orders. The price was really good with the coupons. Now it's a little higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back