Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #57,961 of 63,884
What would you recommend for pop, Rnb, & alternative tracks, cra or zex pro? Budget limited atm so can only afford one. Tia 😊
Blon/tanya better than kz for vocal

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #57,963 of 63,884
What would you recommend for pop, Rnb, & alternative tracks, cra or zex pro? Budget limited atm so can only afford one. Tia 😊
CRA.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #57,964 of 63,884
Good to know I’m not imagining and conjuring up my hype-bubble bursting criticisms :)
The same story all over again.
Some Chinese brand has delivered a new budget IEM that sounds not too bad overall and has some zest in it.
People have tried it with the prejudice "oh, just another $20 chi-fi, it could be trash, no big loss" but suddenly it has exceeded the expectations. And another train starts rolling with the usual exaggeration: giant-killers/endgame/whatever.
Well, it's quite obvious that the manufacturer should not sell the true $2000 sound for $20, It'll be just stupid.

I've bought my set way before the hype because, well, it was a sale, I had the coupons, so I have picked a bag of cheapos (TA1, ZEX pro, Tanya, Summer, FC3, and so on) just to have fun with them, get scolded by my wife :) and then search to whom I could gift it a bit later.

We had a LOT of QC issues and disparity with the cheap OMG-giant-killers in the past, we had an abysmal fit of the BL-03, shrill piezo of NX7, you name it.
Moreover, it's not a one-size-fits-all gear, our ears are different, our tastes are different, our selection of songs and other gear differ, so I bet every single set could've found its lucky listener. Regardless of the price.

Sure, the best of the best hardly will be waiting for you in the bargain bin, but with the sum of about $10-$20, it feels like a shame not to try. :dt880smile:

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #57,965 of 63,884
2BA4A1DB-780B-42C5-8892-D864FF167C7E.jpeg

Just in case this IEM couldn’t get any worse, the finish on my ZEX has started to develop pockmarks. Guess these are unsaleable now :/

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #57,969 of 63,884
The same story all over again.
Some Chinese brand has delivered a new budget IEM that sounds not too bad overall and has some zest in it.
People have tried it with the prejudice "oh, just another $20 chi-fi, it could be trash, no big loss" but suddenly it has exceeded the expectations. And another train starts rolling with the usual exaggeration: giant-killers/endgame/whatever.
Well, it's quite obvious that the manufacturer should not sell the true $2000 sound for $20, It'll be just stupid.

I've bought my set way before the hype because, well, it was a sale, I had the coupons, so I have picked a bag of cheapos (TA1, ZEX pro, Tanya, Summer, FC3, and so on) just to have fun with them, get scolded by my wife :) and then search to whom I could gift it a bit later.

We had a LOT of QC issues and disparity with the cheap OMG-giant-killers in the past, we had an abysmal fit of the BL-03, shrill piezo of NX7, you name it.
Moreover, it's not a one-size-fits-all gear, our ears are different, our tastes are different, our selection of songs and other gear differ, so I bet every single set could've found its lucky listener. Regardless of the price.

Sure, the best of the best hardly will be waiting for you in the bargain bin, but with the sum of about $10-$20, it feels like a shame not to try. :dt880smile:
Also EQ/PEQ is generally so undermined here. Tuning is not a permanent aspect of any IEM. Some issues can be fixed.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #57,970 of 63,884
Also EQ/PEQ is generally so undermined here. Tuning is not a permanent aspect of any IEM. Some issues can be fixed.
Well, I can’t really use EQ/PEQ and I don’t necessarily want to change my transport just so I can have that. Moreover, if you use a pair of IEMs across multiple sources and swap across multiple pairs of IEMs, it’s a pain to have to remember to swap EQ presets every time. IEMs can and should be made to sound as good as they can be out of the box, the responsibility shouldn’t be put on the end user to fix it.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #57,972 of 63,884
Well, I can’t really use EQ/PEQ and I don’t necessarily want to change my transport just so I can have that. Moreover, if you use a pair of IEMs across multiple sources and swap across multiple pairs of IEMs, it’s a pain to have to remember to swap EQ presets every time. IEMs can and should be made to sound as good as they can be out of the box, the responsibility shouldn’t be put on the end user to fix it.
I understand your points, but I've never found a 100% perfect IEM (do you?). I always personalize/callibrate my setup - as a hobbyist - and that is a reason I would only consider an iPhone if i also buy a dedicated android DAP for music. Poweramp and Peace (SoundMagic was my Mac software, I think) are very easy to save and change presets, I consider them all easy software setup and way less work to do than carry an external DAC/Amp. PEQ made me revisit and reconsider a lot of IEMs (and HPs)... also save money.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #57,973 of 63,884
I understand your points, but I've never found a 100% perfect IEM (do you?). I always personalize/callibrate my setup - as a hobbyist - and that is a reason I would only consider an iPhone if i also buy a dedicated android DAP for music. Poweramp and Peace (SoundMagic was my Mac software, I think) are very easy to save and change presets, I consider them all easy software setup and way less work to do than carry an external DAC/Amp. PEQ made me revisit and reconsider a lot of IEMs (and HPs)... also save money.
With peq even mpow could be turned into harman neutral

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #57,974 of 63,884
Moreover, if you use a pair of IEMs across multiple sources and swap across multiple pairs of IEMs, it’s a pain to have to remember to swap EQ presets every time.
Hell yeah.
From time to time I forget that I could've had the EQ on one setup, plug some pair into the other, and get bewildered about what the hell is going on. :beyersmile:

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #57,975 of 63,884
Hell yeah.
From time to time I forget that I could've had the EQ on one setup, plug some pair into the other, and get bewildered about what the hell is going on. :beyersmile:
Thats why I hate EQing on an IEM. I am a soundguy and I use EQ on professional grade mixer for FOH mix, but even that we mostly do not to change the tuning but to combat feedback or ringing in a room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back