Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #57,976 of 63,882
Thats why I hate EQing on an IEM. I am a soundguy and I use EQ on professional grade mixer for FOH mix, but even that we mostly do not to change the tuning but to combat feedback or ringing in a room.

yup, that's the whole essence of live EQ:to make the sound fit with the room without problem :grin:

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #57,977 of 63,882
yup, that's the whole essence of live EQ:to make the sound fit with the room without problem :grin:
Even if the room is a tiny ear cavity :)
Also EQ/PEQ is generally so undermined here. Tuning is not a permanent aspect of any IEM. Some issues can be fixed.
That is exactly one of the constructive points.
Even with the same IEM and the source, the nature of music and even just the way it is recorded can change everything.
For instance, for my IEMs selected for narrow interests in strings, modern electronics does not work without some serious adjustments.

I was just lazy to use EQ, but then I realized buying new IEMs and sources is definitely fun but still can't fully exclude EQ, which is great and nearly free tool.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #57,978 of 63,882
Well, have had time to fummel through my bag of cheapos from the last sale.
ZEX pro has the perfect shape for my ear. Earpieces, earhooks - all sit just well OOTB and give the possibility to tip-roll with a decent seal.

The lows feel too timid, I'm not a basshead at all but clearly used to have a bit more in this department.
Mids are the main course here for sure. Strings are beautiful, the vocal is lush, female variant feels a bit more forward but this could be tip-dependant and suits me quite well anyway.
Treble... well, you already know the story and it was told by the listeners with a way better hearing than mine.
Without EQ they could be offensive depending on song selection, cymbals do sound strange.

With respect to weight, fit and seal it could quite well serve me as EDC garniture, I think.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #57,979 of 63,882
I haven't reviewed a KZ product in a while, but the new ZEX Pro / CRN caught my attention. Here's my review/impressions of the new iem(s)

https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/12/kz-zex-pro-crinacle-crn-review.html

P1050346.jpg

graph (1).png

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #57,980 of 63,882
The quest for old ZSRs continues!

I've been logged out for a while (unintentionally) but thought it would be best for me to log back in to offer you some assistance regarding the ZSR(v1).

It appears that your search for the ZSR(v1) has been frustrating and fruitless.
I share your disappointment.
The ZSR(v1) is still one of my top ten KZ's. I waited too long to pull the trigger on getting backups.
When I finally ordered the backups I received the ZSR(v2).

I HUNG MY HEAD IN DISBELIEF!

NOOOOOO!!!

But it was too late.

So, yes, I share your disappointment.

Although it is very unlikely that you will find a ZSR(v1) I do have some "relatively" good news for you but you should act quickly if you find my solution acceptable.

To my knowledge, as an often silent but self-proclaimed KZ Veteran, I recall that KZ produced several hybrid models that shared some components during production. The only way, IMHO, to get as close to the ZSR(v1) sound signature is for you to pick up the KZ ES3 which shared the ZSR's 10mm DD and 30095 BA.

The ES3 was touted as a more thunderous ZST with a less strident upper midrange.

41yXc6mnt8L._AC_SY580_.jpg

I would add that it is reminiscent of the ZSR(v1). Albeit, a slightly less dynamic ZSR(v1).

Yes, the ZSR(v1) with its 2BA+1DD design sounds slightly more dynamic (due to the additional BA) than the ES3 with its 1BA+1DD design and yes the ZSR(v1) sounds a bit more open (due to the additional space under the ZSR face plate) but as is common for KZ, the performance upgrade (ES3 to ZSR) was more about refining as opposed to reinventing.

41siivmOJxL._AC_SY580_.jpg

51MUVmQCl9L._AC_SY580_.jpg

Note the difference in how much space there is behind the DD in both images.

Here are the reviews.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-es3.22976/reviews

I have both the ZSR(v1) and the ES3. The ES3's slow sales probably resulted in KZ not bothering to modify its sound signature (as they did with the ZS5, ZS6 and ZSR) because the ZSR was already waiting in the wings to be next up to bat.

This is great news for you. There are a handful of ES3's still available on Amazon as I write this.

https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Dynamic-Hybrid-Headphones-without/dp/B076H2BYYK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1EFO3JG4PZQ53&keywords=KZ+ES3&qid=1640663699&sprefix=kz+es3,aps,240&sr=8-3

If you've got $60 then maybe it would be wise to pick up several sets.

In addition, in an attempt to mimic the ZSR's wider soundstage you might drill tiny holes (with a Dremel) in some of the faceplate's less conspicuous areas as I've marked in red below.

20211227_221947.jpg

It's not the ZSR(v1) but it's as close as you'll get to that ZSR(v1) sound signature that you know and love.

Attachments

• 41EGsK1N3PL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    41EGsK1N3PL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 51KYllEWGaL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    51KYllEWGaL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #57,982 of 63,882
i found second hand KZ ZS7 recently as i browse around.
some paint chipping but seller says the sound are fine, still ponders whether buy that or just buy quarks
Don't hesitate. ZS7 is the best KZ hybrid IMO. Same BAs as the BA10 but has DD for bass instead of the 22955 BA. Superb sub bass and no sharp treble.

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #57,983 of 63,882
Could you take a photo what zsr v1 look like??

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #57,984 of 63,882
Here's another DQ6 to boot.
One dynamo is connected directly, and two more through a 20 ohm resistor and a 300nF capacitor. With such parameters, they also do not participate in the sound (through the same chain, fittings are connected to the ZAS).
Disconnection of the large dynamo confirmed that there is practically no sound on the small ones. Exactly enough so as not to interfere with one driver.
Again props, which visually do not find fault with. Although I like the sound of DQ6, for simple music.
I will repost from the forum. It looks like the company is FOOLING all of us! Other headphones were also sorted out!

Attachments

• PXL_20211212_180248398.jpg
    PXL_20211212_180248398.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #57,986 of 63,882
I will repost from the forum. It looks like the company is FOOLING all of us. Other headphones were also sorted out.
How do you take it apart without any blemishes on the iem?

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #57,989 of 63,882
The 6mm DDs do make a sound but it is about 90% from the XUN and 10% from the 6mm. They are there for the final touch only. I have measured their SPLs long ago to confirm this.
there are so insignificant these 10%, a controversial point. well, let it be. KZ ZAS check these headphones.Drivers are disabled there.Are all drivers working consistently?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #57,990 of 63,882
Kz must do something about this news

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back