Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #57,631 of 63,960
I think in China it's quite normal that decent brands have cheaper knock-off brands that try to copy them. And they sometimes have even cheaper knock-off brands trying to copy them.
I know that from the smartphone market, where the popular brand Mi has knock-offs like Umi. And they even have a knock-off called Umidigi. I think QKZ is something similar.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #57,632 of 63,960
I think in China it's quite normal that decent brands have cheaper knock-off brands that try to copy them. And they sometimes have even cheaper knock-off brands trying to copy them.
I know that from the smartphone market, where the popular brand Mi has knock-offs like Umi. And they even have a knock-off called Umidigi. I think QKZ is something similar.
QKZ stands for Quality Knowledge Zenith I think and it is not a knock-off brand.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #57,633 of 63,960
Many years ago (probably about 15 years ago?) I had a company with a booth at E3 in Las Vegas. First time I'd been to E3, and had an opportunity before the crowds got there to check out the the rest of the exhibits. There was a whole separate section of E3 that was mostly companies from China with cheap goods, a lot of them inspired by/imitations of things from better brands. They were companies I had never heard of before, but what surprised me was the sheer number of them. And then I figured if that was just the companies that bothered to fly to Las Vegas and get a booth at E3, there must be even more of them in China. And my understanding is that the lack of regard for intellectual property doesn't just extend from China to the West, but to anyone, including domestic companies in China.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #57,635 of 63,960
In one word: Avoid.

Haven't try it, but review so far goes "They have decent SQ but apparently sucks at being tws" (the sub 2 hour battery, the mic and all).

But they have fix some of the problem with the "Pro" model, which used the more common QC3040 bluetooth chip with APTX for better connection and audio.
The Pro model also have significantly have better battery live from sub 2 hour to near 4 hour.
i think some model adopt cvc 8.0 for better mic, i forgot which.
since the beginning the have game mode so the lag is not that much of a problem.

I'm currently eyeing on KZ SK10 Pro (was waiting for the QC3040 upgrade), Soundpeats Air3, and edifier X3s.
lets see whether the KZ local price will be low enough for beater TWS budget which i kinda blows with unplanned ZEX Pro preorder...

Oh to note, if you wanna buy decent TWS the golden standard now is Lypertek products, Soundpeats H1 pro, and Soundcore Liberty (and other soundcore products)
Or if you wanna cheap beaters, Mpow or Haylou products which i've bought the Haylou GT1XR (the cheapo darling) is ok. not great, i won't called it good, but for the price and function its ok.

I got a SK10 during 11.11 and the only thing I can say is avoid it. It's a shouty mess.

On one side using the 30019 instead of the 30095 and having the BA in the shell and not in the nozzle could be a improvement, but it isn't. As much as some here dislike the 30095 when you hear the 30019 in the SK10 you wish you had a 30095 in the nozzle. I've never found the 30095 to sound metallic but the 30019... it sounds more metallic than smashing two trash can lids together.

Thank you for your input. Was looking around yesterday and got the feeling that there is alot of problems with TWS, probably need to go way higher than ~50€. I think i will get those bluetooth cables and KZ Zex Pro and maybe go for the Moondrop Aria to use at home, at 16€ for the cable they seem to be worth a try and then i can switch earphones if i want.

Edit: Ended up buying both KZ Zex Pro and ZSN Pro x and the cable

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #57,636 of 63,960
A cursory glance at AliExpress will show that QKZ products pretty much use KZ shells and designs lock stock and barrel, except with a different driver configuration, a different but still plausibly similar sounding index name, and a lower price. I expect that there is probably some arrangement whereby they are procuring the shells from the factory where they’re being made (the factory manager doesn’t give a damn as to whether you’re KZ or QKZ, as long as there is spare capacity they want to sell it) and so I completely understand KZ wanting to distance themselves from the entire thing.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #57,637 of 63,960
I must say QKZ at least is decent in some stuff

- The package aesthetics are actually okay (better than KZ, imo)
- It comes with 2 sets of eartips (balanced and a bassy I guess... more than KZ)
- There are differences between their DDs (they always show the same graph tho...)

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #57,638 of 63,960
Thank you for your input. Was looking around yesterday and got the feeling that there is alot of problems with TWS, probably need to go way higher than ~50€. I think i will get those bluetooth cables and KZ Zex Pro and maybe go for the Moondrop Aria to use at home, at 16€ for the cable they seem to be worth a try and then i can switch earphones if i want.

Edit: Ended up buying both KZ Zex Pro and ZSN Pro x and the cable

I think you have made the right choice.
So far i have ordered 3 pairs of TWS from 3 companies (including VX10) and none of them came close to the sound (and comfort) of my old APTX kz BT cable + ZSR\ZS6.

I'm not familiar with Zex pro or ZSN pro x though so YMMV.

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #57,639 of 63,960
The quest for old ZSRs continues!

IMG_20211208_000827.jpg

Count me in if they ever restock ZS7. Recently getting BA10 because of similar BA configuration minus DD, and released around same time. I gotta say they're a tad bright for my liking, extra dynamic bass really helps to compensate that KZ brightness.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #57,640 of 63,960
Been listening to Floor Jansen (various bands and solos), Battle Beast, and Lacuna Coil through the AST, direct from IPhone no amp (yet). These are pretty darn good for the price. Just 2 cents after listening to them for a few days. I need to stop, keep losing too much sleep!

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #57,641 of 63,960

Field-testing the ZEX Pro (Round 3 and conclusions): ワンダー - そらる
  • Hissing, lots of thin, weightless, harsh, metallic hissing at the top end with the cymbals, evident within the first 30s. The magnetostat driver is almost assuredly to blame for this.
  • Vocals are adequately represented. They don't hover above the rest of the mix like female vocals tend, so they sound pretty relaxed and organic, but I'd have appreciated a tad more presence.
  • Coherency might be an issue here. The lows and lower-mids sound really smooth, pleasing, natural; the mids and upper mids are defined by their clarity and occasional metallic twang, and the treble - well - is a mess.
Comparison with the ZAX (1DD 7BA):
  • ZAX bass does not hit as hard as the ZEX Pro, nor is it as tight and clean.
  • Vocals are comparable in terms of detail and presence. Neither the ZAX nor the ZEX Pro are what I would call class-leading for male vocals, but it's perfectly listenable.
  • The initial striking of the cymbals are discernible on the ZAX, and cymbal notes are more distinct and clearly separated from one another on the ZAX compared the ZEX Pro. The ZAX still presents some hissing in complex sections (especially the crescendo towards the end of the song), but certainly not to the degree that it is present on the ZEX Pro, where it is difficult to ignore.
  • I perceive a wider soundstage on the ZAX compared to the ZEX Pro, although it's not a world of difference. Instrument separation is clearer on the ZAX than the ZEX Pro.
Comparison with the ZEX (1DD 1MST):
  • Similar issues with the treble as on the ZEX Pro, though the problem doesn't stand out as much, either because the highs are somewhat rolled off, or because the mids aren't good either
  • Honkier, hollower sounding vocals on the ZEX as compared to the ZEX Pro. It's like he's singing into a cardboard box.
  • ZEX bass is slower, more bloated and more midbass focused than on the ZEX Pro, which partly accounts for the deficits in the mids.

Overall, at this point I believe I've heard virtually everything that the ZEX Pro has to offer. The ZEX Pro does a lot right in the lower half of the frequency range, but ultimately stumbles at the finish line - the low-fi treble reproduction and lack of detail in the highs is far from ideal, even at the price. I am not convinced that the magnetostat driver represents a step forward from the treble BA it is supposed to replace. Of course the caveat remains that my music taste, listening experience, and preferences are probably different from yours.

If you don't already have these, I wouldn't rush out to buy one. If you've already ordered these and it's too late to cancel, I would perhaps recommend trying to pair these with a warmer source, because I think the Questyle M12 inadvertently exacerbates the issues with the magnetostat driver in its present form.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #57,642 of 63,960

• Hissing, lots of thin, weightless, harsh, metallic hissing at the top end with the cymbals, evident within the first 30s. The magnetostat driver is almost assuredly to blame for this.
  • Vocals are adequately represented. They don't hover above the rest of the mix like female vocals tend, so they sound pretty relaxed and organic, but I'd have appreciated a tad more presence.
  • Coherency might be an issue here. The lows and lower-mids sound really smooth, pleasing, natural; the mids and upper mids are defined by their clarity and occasional metallic twang, and the treble - well - is a mess.
  • Vocals are comparable in terms of detail and presence. Neither the ZAX nor the ZEX Pro are what I would call class-leading for male vocals, but it's perfectly listenable.
  • The initial striking of the cymbals are discernible on the ZAX, and cymbal notes are more distinct and clearly separated from one another on the ZAX compared the ZEX Pro. The ZAX still presents some hissing in complex sections (especially the crescendo towards the end of the song), but certainly not to the degree that it is present on the ZEX Pro, where it is difficult to ignore.
  • I perceive a wider soundstage on the ZAX compared to the ZEX Pro, although it's not a world of difference. Instrument separation is clearer on the ZAX than the ZEX Pro.
  • Similar issues with the treble as on the ZEX Pro, though the problem doesn't stand out as much, either because the highs are somewhat rolled off, or because the mids aren't good either
  • Honkier, hollower sounding vocals on the ZEX as compared to the ZEX Pro. It's like he's singing into a cardboard box.
  • ZEX bass is slower, more bloated and more midbass focused than on the ZEX Pro, which partly accounts for the deficits in the mids.

Overall, at this point I believe I've heard virtually everything that the ZEX Pro has to offer. The ZEX Pro does a lot right in the lower half of the frequency range, but ultimately stumbles at the finish line - the low-fi treble reproduction and lack of detail in the highs is far from ideal, even at the price. I am not convinced that the magnetostat driver represents a step forward from the treble BA it is supposed to replace. Of course the caveat remains that my music taste, listening experience, and preferences are probably different from yours.

If you don't already have these, I wouldn't rush out to buy one. If you've already ordered these and it's too late to cancel, I would perhaps recommend trying to pair these with a warmer source, because I think the Questyle M12 inadvertently exacerbates the issues with the magnetostat driver in its present form.

Thanks a lot for your impressions! I have a few questions:
1. Do your impressions remain the same when you listen indoors at lower volumes?
2. Are you perhaps providing too much power? Jason in his review said he prefers not using his amp ().

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #57,643 of 63,960

Great review, thanks

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #57,644 of 63,960

Is your impression based only on this song? Or were the other songs from similar genres? I noticed that most of the anime tracks are made quite simply, there are few live instruments, samples and a lot of compression.
I'm not arguing about tastes, it's just more interesting to read about versatility of zex pro. Cheers, and thanks for sharing

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #57,645 of 63,960
Thanks a lot for your impressions! I have a few questions:
1. Do your impressions remain the same when you listen indoors at lower volumes?
2. Are you perhaps providing too much power? Jason in his review said he prefers not using his amp ().

Cheers!

Both these impressions as well as my previous posts were done based on indoor listening at a comfortable volume. I don’t think its an issue of too much power because the Questyle M12 is, at the end of the day, an iPhone compatible dongle which means there’s a hard cap on how much power it can draw and thus how much power it can send to the transducers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back