Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #57,601 of 63,832
I use wide-bore tips, like JVC Spiral Dots, with all my all-BA IEMs. The tips are a most individual component due to anatomy differences, hearing and subjective preferences.

I've tried almost all of my tips with ast, and best of them in terms if fir, sound and isolation were bgvp w01 and spinfit cp360, and epro e00 (least in fit terms due that they are pretty tall). Now I use L sized cp360, they didn't change sound much, but I feel that mid are a bit forward now.
Thanks for the recommendations, ordered a pack of the 360 spinfits, see how they do, if disappointed I’ll try the jvc’s. The Aiwa prodigy tips work well for now, stuck the Kz tips on those 🤣.
Btw? Can’t like comments anymore?

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #57,602 of 63,832
Thanks for the recommendations, ordered a pack of the 360 spinfits, see how they do, if disappointed I’ll try the jvc’s. The Aiwa prodigy tips work well for now, stuck the Kz tips on those 🤣.
Btw? Can’t like comments anymore?
Try a different browser. I don't know why it does not work occasionally

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #57,610 of 63,832
I've got last $10 coupon for zex pro from CCA store which will end in a few hours, I can still order zex pro for $23 but sad thing is that zex pro require at least 8 core cable to give you best music experience. sadly I don't have $10 to spare on cable and as I sold my zsx lately I want another IEM and I only see KZ DQ6 as it has very good reviews.
One peculiar thing I read in XerusKun review:
"After my honeymoon with the ZP, I’ve tried to test the stock cable again and from that something bizarre happen. I can’t detect any differences between my stock cable and my 8-core cable"
I wonder these electret drivers need hell of a time to warm-up and I wonder if I get zex pro and use it with stock cable for some time till I have money to buy 8 core cable. I have Fiio M3K to provide zex pro enough power but this cable thing is stopping me from zex pro.

Bro, as the others said, don't worry about cables. Cables are a big bone of contention here in audiophiledom, we have 2 camps, one saying cables don't make a difference to sound, and another camp saying it does. Flamewars regularly start over this cable issue haha.

Whatever your cable belief (we should respect everyone!), IMHO, you get more mileage in the sound changes by employing different eartips and sources, with cables the least in terms of sonic changes for the coin spent (ie diminishing returns). So just enjoy whatever comes in the box. I personally won't spend more money on a cable than what the IEM itself costs!

Not sure whether he is joking or whether is really him. seems the right name and profile pic tough.
But that being said, KZ ZEX Pro graph is near identical with things he likes, so yeah.

and yes, there the question with this.
1638798957875.png

Nice graph for sure. But the usual adage of "graphs don't tell the full story" applies here. Like timbral accuracy, transients, soundstage, imaging, instrument separation etc can't be totally gleaned from a standard FR.

But at least KZ seems to be refining their tuning away from the old school CHIFI V shaped sibilant shouty stuff in recent times.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #57,611 of 63,832

Took the ZEX Pro on my commute this morning, and this is an example of a track where the ZEX Pro really struggles. The high-pitched vocals and gobs of treble energy, what with traditional Chinese and Japanese string instruments, synths and crashing cymbals all at the same time lead to the ZEX Pro sounding thin, honky and almost shrill, especially at the higher volumes required for outdoor listening. I’m listening again in a quiet office environment and it still sounds thin.

Compared to the ZEX Pro, my Pioneer CH3 (I kid you not), at the same volume and out of the same source, presents this track with substantially less harshness, greater overall note weight and smoother upper mids. At higher listening levels, the CH3 gains presence and body, while the ZEX Pro starts to sound grating and metallic. Neither are anything to write home about in terms of soundstage or imaging.

Because I know the question is going to come up:
  • I used Tennmak Ultra foam tips on the ZEX Pro. CH3 sports Azla SednaEarfits.
  • Listening was done with my Questyle M12, which is as linear and transparent (and power-guzzling) as they come in terms of sources.
  • ZEX Pro has a XINHS 2-core SPC cable. CH3 - well - has what I assume is the cheapest noodle cable Pioneer could find in their parts bin, so it should be nigh unlistenable right? :p

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #57,612 of 63,832

Took the ZEX Pro on my commute this morning, and this is an example of a track where the ZEX Pro really struggles. The high-pitched vocals and gobs of treble energy, what with traditional Chinese and Japanese string instruments, synths and crashing cymbals all at the same time lead to the ZEX Pro sounding thin, honky and almost shrill, especially at the higher volumes required for outdoor listening. I’m listening again in a quiet office environment and it still sounds thin.

It seems KZ still playing too safe with upper range and still struggle on getting it right.
BGGAR noted that cymbal sounds off and some other also noted similar instrument still not quite right.

So far it seems, Bass and mids is already pretty good, fixing treble is next.
...mine still estimated to arrive after christmas...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #57,613 of 63,832

Compared to the ZEX Pro, my Pioneer CH3 (I kid you not), at the same volume and out of the same source, presents this track with substantially less harshness, greater overall note weight and smoother upper mids. At higher listening levels, the CH3 gains presence and body, while the ZEX Pro starts to sound grating and metallic. Neither are anything to write home about in terms of soundstage or imaging.

Because I know the question is going to come up:
  • I used Tennmak Ultra foam tips on the ZEX Pro. CH3 sports Azla SednaEarfits.
  • Listening was done with my Questyle M12, which is as linear and transparent (and power-guzzling) as they come in terms of sources.
  • ZEX Pro has a XINHS 2-core SPC cable. CH3 - well - has what I assume is the cheapest noodle cable Pioneer could find in their parts bin, so it should be nigh unlistenable right? :p

It seems KZ still playing too safe with upper range and still struggle on getting it right.
BGGAR noted that cymbal sounds off and some other also noted similar instrument still not quite right.

So far it seems, Bass and mids is already pretty good, fixing treble is next.
...mine still estimated to arrive after christmas...
for me the default tuning is a bit thin in the mids for me too, and there's something about the treble that reminds me of the treble on the NRA like mentioned in my earlier impression, even though it's a bit tamer. It's not quite as 'off' as those cheap BAs on other budget KZs to me, but it's not quite 'not off' to me either compared to a good single DD or just a good BA like on the ER4XR. But still not too bad though.

Though i think the default tuning is a good baseline for some minor EQ. Was out and about this morning (walking around, public transport) and brought the ZEX Pro out since the fit is great with above average isolation for my ears (stock cable and tips). For me i'm upping the mid bass and 3kHz a bit, and bringing down the treble a bit, especially in the 8kHz. after that, it becomes quite enjoyable for me. :grin:

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #57,615 of 63,832
New TWS
1638883796366.png

1638883828433.png

https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-sk10-pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back