Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #57,571 of 63,960
Thinking about recent evolution in KZ sound and trying to rationalize it, more specifically in the context of the shifts in the sources, here are my limited thoughts that I hope can be useful to some.

From the few years back, KZ was well-known and almost equated with bright cheerful V, epitomized by KZ ZS10 pro, for instance. At the same time, AK "velvet sound" was one of the dominating tuning of DAPs and other audiophile gadgets. Even my ESS-based DAP, I happened to slowly (and expensively) realize, was tuned to this "softer" tuning.
AK chips are effectively no longer, so ESS-based devices now became most prevalent.
In this context. V-tiuning synergized quite well with the softer "velvet".
At the same time, if KZ tuners started to use ESS-based sources, then the softer tuning of AST, ZEX, etc start to feel so much more logical.
While at first, I almost put AST aside, I did realize later that AST have good synergy with either Z4 or E1DA, where the treble starts to come to life/sense, and everything becomes more enjoyable. I definitely prefer AST to TRI I3.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #57,572 of 63,960
So far the AST is definitely sounding excellent, and still offering surprises. And so far isn’t fatiguing. Definitely the most bass producing BA type I’ve ever had. Excellent vocals, very fast reaction time, excellent treble. I know my observations are clearly subjective. Now need to find some good tips. Anyone have recommendations on where to look for properly fitting eartips? The stock ones leave much to be desired.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #57,573 of 63,960
So far the AST is definitely sounding excellent, and still offering surprises. And so far isn’t fatiguing. Definitely the most bass producing BA type I’ve ever had. Excellent vocals, very fast reaction time, excellent treble. I know my observations are clearly subjective. Now need to find some good tips. Anyone have recommendations on where to look for properly fitting eartips? The stock ones leave much to be desired.
I use wide-bore tips, like JVC Spiral Dots, with all my all-BA IEMs. The tips are a most individual component due to anatomy differences, hearing and subjective preferences.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #57,574 of 63,960
I have a conspiracy theory that depends on my assumption. Actually maybe two. I think ESS is American company and AK is Japanese. And lately I noticed that American companies benefit at the expense of international competitors' stumbles. All I am saying is we have more data centers than they do. The second one which is more relevant. Didn't KZ always catered toward the budget market because they have two advantages that they can harness over their competitors. One is they've got connections in the ChiFi audio community. And secondly they've also got connections with the ChiFi factories. So any over produced or easily available parts or components are sourceable by KZ to bring a market cost competitive iems and more. Just guessing though.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #57,575 of 63,960
I have a conspiracy theory that depends on my assumption. Actually maybe two. I think ESS is American company and AK is Japanese. And lately I noticed that American companies benefit at the expense of international competitors' stumbles. All I am saying is we have more data centers than they do. The second one which is more relevant. Didn't KZ always catered toward the budget market because they have two advantages that they can harness over their competitors. One is they've got connections in the ChiFi audio community. And secondly they've also got connections with the ChiFi factories. So any over produced or easily available parts or components are sourceable by KZ to bring a market cost competitive iems and more. Just guessing though.
Yesterday I noticed that my ZAX sounds so good on an AKM DAC.

Coincidence? I think not.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #57,576 of 63,960
I've tried almost all of my tips with ast, and best of them in terms if fir, sound and isolation were bgvp w01 and spinfit cp360, and epro e00 (least in fit terms due that they are pretty tall). Now I use L sized cp360, they didn't change sound much, but I feel that mid are a bit forward now.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #57,577 of 63,960
Thinking about recent evolution in KZ sound and trying to rationalize it, more specifically in the context of the shifts in the sources, here are my limited thoughts that I hope can be useful to some.

From the few years back, KZ was well-known and almost equated with bright cheerful V, epitomized by KZ ZS10 pro, for instance. At the same time, AK "velvet sound" was one of the dominating tuning of DAPs and other audiophile gadgets. Even my ESS-based DAP, I happened to slowly (and expensively) realize, was tuned to this "softer" tuning.
AK chips are effectively no longer, so ESS-based devices now became most prevalent.
In this context. V-tiuning synergized quite well with the softer "velvet".
At the same time, if KZ tuners started to use ESS-based sources, then the softer tuning of AST, ZEX, etc start to feel so much more logical.
While at first, I almost put AST aside, I did realize later that AST have good synergy with either Z4 or E1DA, where the treble starts to come to life/sense, and everything becomes more enjoyable. I definitely prefer AST to TRI I3.
Yes, I've listen to some dark jazz today and kz ast and tiandirenhe td08 (qdc), had most suitable sounding, better than blons and mele, sax on blons and mele sometimes was almost horrible and shouty.
AST and td08 was better on hiby fc3 (which has ess dac) than on ifi zen dac v2 (which has burr brown), at least AST was more lively, more treble, I think. I think ifi zen dac too neutral for AST

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #57,578 of 63,960
heh, out of knowhere.

1638781797520.png

Not sure he is joking or serious. But it is tuned to his preferred sound sig
Btw, its from

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #57,579 of 63,960
I definitely prefer AST to TRI I3.

Maybe the reason that AST hasn't sold more is because us mortals just can't handle the power.

giphy.gif

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #57,581 of 63,960
heh, out of knowhere.

1638781797520.png

Not sure he is joking or serious. But it is tuned to his preferred sound sig
Btw, its from

Don't know but as harman-ist, zex pro sig kinda... close. I tried to eq my nra to kz zex pro and kinda like it. If they made zex pro without wings i will buy it tho. Also it looks big

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #57,583 of 63,960
It's good to see the graphs of the ZEX Pro and get a good idea of the different amplitudes. It would be nice to hear a few adjectives about tonality, timbre, stage etc, that define the quality of sound. Maybe some tracks we all know, to get an idea of these qualitative factors. Hopefully mine may show up in a week and I can get a real world idea of their sound. Looking forwards to hearing them with a better cable and a bit of tip rolling. It seems to show a likeable graph, but will tonality, timbre, staging and sound enjoyment factors be good to the ZEX Pro?

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #57,584 of 63,960
ZEX Pro in the house. Free case and foams from the KZ official store.
234EE36B-2932-4D52-8269-D92DF5F5B68D.jpeg

2DFF7F4B-BBC7-4F0A-89E8-005DF62DBDD0.jpeg

The shells are smaller than I expected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back