Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 27, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #55,801 of 63,945
Hell folks , what is the lowest age of using these buds? My daughter of just 12 years of age .She wanted to use the EDX but told her not because shes too young for that without getting more technical on ear design etc . I own also the ZSN and the TRN ST1.
For the moment she didnt wear them because the shape annoyed her ears. She already used a few typical earplugs the last 2 years
I started using the Sennheiser CX300-ii at around that age but the EDX shape might be too big though. I would consider getting bullet style iems instead. Check out the Final Audio E series (E500, E1000, E3000 are good recs) and also because she might be very treble sensitive at that age.
1624795064864.png

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #55,802 of 63,945
Hi KZ fans - I'm currently enjoying a set of CCA C12 for the past couple of months. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz and am wondering if AS16 or the ZAX would be an upgrade? I have decided against CCA CA16 many describe the treble as being recessed or smoother over or some such vs. the C12, which is going the wrong direction for me. I had BL03s and hated them. bass was muddy to my ears and the treble was lacking clarity or sparkle. TRN and other chifi brands don't really speak to me.

I'm looking for tons of instrument separation, good soundstage, and lean toward bright preferences for treble. All those crispy sounds from a snare brush, the popping of sax reeds at low volume, mind piercing rips off a coronet solo - all that seems to disappear with what most people consider "good tuning that doesn't fatigue".

In CCA's newest linuep, I don't think CA16 or CKX are an upgrade over the C12 for me. Oddly enough, I chose C12 over ZSX terminators because there seemed to review as being a touch flatter, and I like to control the EQ curve moving genre to genre. I think it was probably the right choice but I haven't heard ZSX.

AST is close to being an impulse purchase but I am scared off with a KZ's trend toward rolled off or "contained" treble. From the graphs, the AST looks like a contradiction: 24 BAs tuned to be look like a single dynamic driver IEM. What gives?! Do all those drivers respond to EQ?

ZAX's open back design and elevated bass might have some pluses, as listening at lower volumes usually requires 3-5db bass increase for my ears. the "looseness" description about the bass seems worrying though for classical when things get busy at 70-85db.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Debating DQ6 or CCN as a complimentary pair to this choice above ^ for rock and electronica.
Maybe also consider NF audio NM2/NA2, i like my NA2s a lot more than ZSX and sightly more than TRI Starsea.

NM2 seems to be a bit more v shaped than NA2 thats bass bosted with a more balanced approach to mids/treble.
They use the same driver just different tuning.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #55,803 of 63,945
Hell folks , what is the lowest age of using these buds? My daughter of just 12 years of age .She wanted to use the EDX but told her not because shes too young for that without getting more technical on ear design etc . I own also the ZSN and the TRN ST1.
For the moment she didnt wear them because the shape annoyed her ears. She already used a few typical earplugs the last 2 years
The CCA CKX is smaller than any IEMs I've owned so far.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #55,804 of 63,945
I started using the Sennheiser CX300-ii at around that age but the EDX shape might be too big though. I would consider getting bullet style iems instead. Check out the Final Audio E series (E500, E1000, E3000 are good recs) and also because she might be very treble sensitive at that age.
Interesting . I gave her two Betron U shaped models of below 9 Eu price ad also one Inkax that is relatively trebly. She also uses the Awei 760 BT model as partner for her smartphone

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #55,805 of 63,945
Hi KZ fans - I'm currently enjoying a set of CCA C12 for the past couple of months. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz and am wondering if AS16 or the ZAX would be an upgrade? I have decided against CCA CA16 many describe the treble as being recessed or smoother over or some such vs. the C12, which is going the wrong direction for me. I had BL03s and hated them. bass was muddy to my ears and the treble was lacking clarity or sparkle. TRN and other chifi brands don't really speak to me.

I'm looking for tons of instrument separation, good soundstage, and lean toward bright preferences for treble. All those crispy sounds from a snare brush, the popping of sax reeds at low volume, mind piercing rips off a coronet solo - all that seems to disappear with what most people consider "good tuning that doesn't fatigue".

In CCA's newest linuep, I don't think CA16 or CKX are an upgrade over the C12 for me. Oddly enough, I chose C12 over ZSX terminators because there seemed to review as being a touch flatter, and I like to control the EQ curve moving genre to genre. I think it was probably the right choice but I haven't heard ZSX.

AST is close to being an impulse purchase but I am scared off with a KZ's trend toward rolled off or "contained" treble. From the graphs, the AST looks like a contradiction: 24 BAs tuned to be look like a single dynamic driver IEM. What gives?! Do all those drivers respond to EQ?

ZAX's open back design and elevated bass might have some pluses, as listening at lower volumes usually requires 3-5db bass increase for my ears. the "looseness" description about the bass seems worrying though for classical when things get busy at 70-85db.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Debating DQ6 or CCN as a complimentary pair to this choice above ^ for rock and electronica.
There is also new "ZAS" - if exploring new things is wanted :)

It may be prudent to test firsr how the XUN DD works to your preference with DQ6 or CSN.

DQ6 are a more unique/complimentary to hybrids like C12 and ZAX, in my opinion.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #55,806 of 63,945
wow - great feedback in such a short time!
Can you reccommend some reference tracks so people can get a feel for the music you listen to?

Night Lights from Jerry Mulligan Sextet is a good example. Acoustically there is a lot happening on this recording, and you need a bit of elevated treble to hear it. I am a former low brass musician (another lifetime by now) and when that low raspiness of the tone's edges are missing at low volumes it makes me want to throw things. x-D If your phones or speakers don't have good instrument separation, it will blend into the snare brush and just sound like static. Now, above that, when the piano comes back on, listen out for those delicate strings supporting the melody in the left channel. The C12's excel here (way better than $35 has any right to) relative to a lot of things.

Classical - Isle of the Dead, from Rachmaninoff. The dynamics in this track destroy the illusion of quality in a lot of setups. Timpani can disappear into the brass. Crescendos distort. Sloppy subbass screws up the plucking on contrabass. When things get going and the orchestra begins to really send the beans at the 7 minute mark, if your speakers have bad instrument separation, this will just sound loud and terrible. C12 is just barely adequate here. The bottom end of the orchestra could be tighter. Compared to my old Shure SE315 or AKG 702 it's not nearly as tight as it could be. Compared to overears like Shure SRH840 the bottom end is 1/2 missing. Soundstage is acceptable for an IEM, but more width would help keep the busy parts from stepping on each other.

Piano tones and simpler arrangements are all fine. Opera vocals are enjoyable. It's really just big orchestra that trips up that 7mm dynamic. FWIW, it's the same for fast metal. The Last Baron from Mastodon is a good example. Both guitar parts have good crunch and detail, vocals are good, all the crazy samples can be picked out ... but the bottom end is just like 3/4 there. KZ foams (the pack sold separately, not stock ones) and the KZ starline silicones both give a good seal, but the bore is a bit deep and narrow. Might need to try one of the shallow-wide bore tips to see what happens.

I really think you would like the CKX. It is an improvement on the C12 in every way and is my favourite CCA. I prefer it to the ZAX as it sounds more natural and has a better, more even treble. Bass is solid and the build quality is excellent. Pair it with a good cable like the TRI Through and you will get a lot of musical enjoyment.

Thanks for chiming in Nimweth, i've enjoyed your reviews. what balanced cable would you rec for the CKX? I'm using BTR3k mostly right now (ordered w/ the C12). It's great. I was going to pull the trigger shortly after on a Qudelix 5k to compare, but it seems pointless for sensitive IEMs. Bluetooth LDAC from my laptop w/ bt 5.1 is silly levels of good for the cost. Even though these are sensitive, I find that I'm pushing volume on the 3k pretty hard. I go to max then click 5 down from peak volume. I thought that maybe a balanced cable might add back some bass.

There is also new "ZAS" - if exploring new things is wanted :)

It may be prudent to test firsr how the XUN DD works to your preference with DQ6 or CSN.

I have all of these including the ZAS in my cart right now on AliExpress :sweat_smile: but my wallet says I gotta choose! I was stoked about DQ6 but after being so disappointed in Blon BL03 I thought I'd relegate myself to hybrids or full BA setup. After burn in and spending time with them, C12 is what I'd consider to be a very good, but not quite great.

Outside KZ/CCA there isn't much that's caught my attention besides Shuoer Tape. From what I've read I don't think Moondrop Starfield or Blessing 2 is an upgrade for me, even over the C12. People seem to like the timbre and relaxed tuning on these for pop / rock more than anything, which is cool, just not what I'm looking for. I don't think an EQ preset is worth $500-$1500 premium.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #55,807 of 63,945
Outside KZ/CCA there isn't much that's caught my attention besides Shuoer Tape. From what I've read I don't think Moondrop Starfield or Blessing 2 is an upgrade for me, even over the C12. People seem to like the timbre and relaxed tuning on these for pop / rock more than anything, which is cool, just not what I'm looking for. I don't think an EQ preset is worth $500-$1500 premium.
The Tape (original, avoid the "pro" at all costs!) needs EQ though.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #55,809 of 63,945
ZAS in black and gold looks so hot. I whish they would send some units for reviews first.
They do look pretty cool.
I went on a KZ/CCA binge lately because the new shapes fit my ear so incredibly well, and I love the sound, (and I got them on sale).
So I tell myself I am done buying earphones. No more!

The ASX sounds perfect as far as my non-audiophile ears are concerned, and I could run a sprint wearing them, and they won't move.
There's nothing more I want or need really.
So I'm done! (Except for the AST that is in the mail....then I'm done.)

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #55,810 of 63,945
wow - great feedback in such a short time!

Night Lights from Jerry Mulligan Sextet is a good example. Acoustically there is a lot happening on this recording, and you need a bit of elevated treble to hear it. I am a former low brass musician (another lifetime by now) and when that low raspiness of the tone's edges are missing at low volumes it makes me want to throw things. x-D If your phones or speakers don't have good instrument separation, it will blend into the snare brush and just sound like static. Now, above that, when the piano comes back on, listen out for those delicate strings supporting the melody in the left channel. The C12's excel here (way better than $35 has any right to) relative to a lot of things.

Classical - Isle of the Dead, from Rachmaninoff. The dynamics in this track destroy the illusion of quality in a lot of setups. Timpani can disappear into the brass. Crescendos distort. Sloppy subbass screws up the plucking on contrabass. When things get going and the orchestra begins to really send the beans at the 7 minute mark, if your speakers have bad instrument separation, this will just sound loud and terrible. C12 is just barely adequate here. The bottom end of the orchestra could be tighter. Compared to my old Shure SE315 or AKG 702 it's not nearly as tight as it could be. Compared to overears like Shure SRH840 the bottom end is 1/2 missing. Soundstage is acceptable for an IEM, but more width would help keep the busy parts from stepping on each other.

Piano tones and simpler arrangements are all fine. Opera vocals are enjoyable. It's really just big orchestra that trips up that 7mm dynamic. FWIW, it's the same for fast metal. The Last Baron from Mastodon is a good example. Both guitar parts have good crunch and detail, vocals are good, all the crazy samples can be picked out ... but the bottom end is just like 3/4 there. KZ foams (the pack sold separately, not stock ones) and the KZ starline silicones both give a good seal, but the bore is a bit deep and narrow. Might need to try one of the shallow-wide bore tips to see what happens.

Thanks for chiming in Nimweth, i've enjoyed your reviews. what balanced cable would you rec for the CKX? I'm using BTR3k mostly right now (ordered w/ the C12). It's great. I was going to pull the trigger shortly after on a Qudelix 5k to compare, but it seems pointless for sensitive IEMs. Bluetooth LDAC from my laptop w/ bt 5.1 is silly levels of good for the cost. Even though these are sensitive, I find that I'm pushing volume on the 3k pretty hard. I go to max then click 5 down from peak volume. I thought that maybe a balanced cable might add back some bass.

I have all of these including the ZAS in my cart right now on AliExpress :sweat_smile: but my wallet says I gotta choose! I was stoked about DQ6 but after being so disappointed in Blon BL03 I thought I'd relegate myself to hybrids or full BA setup. After burn in and spending time with them, C12 is what I'd consider to be a very good, but not quite great.

I have used the balanced 2-pin cable from the Shuoer Tape Pro with excellent results, the KBEAR Limpid Pro is also very good.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #55,811 of 63,945
1624795064864.png
Agree. It is questionable to let kids using ear V or U-shape IEM, it may affect premature hearing impaired or trigger bad listening habits. Final E500 or E1000 is good neutral and affordable IEM, with very small shells which should fit to child’s ears as well.
I’d forget about Etymotics, because those are “hearing-aid neutral; i.e. voice centric”.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #55,812 of 63,945
I wanna say, get Tanchjim Tanya.
Bullet shaped, light, have good full bodied sound with good layering, didn't have sharp treble.
But it require an amp to push the proper sound out and it have non-detachable cable which makes it a bit more less durable in a the hand of 12 Y/O.

then again, its relatively cheap and if you are willing to replace it within 6 month or so, it's a decent IEM to recommend.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #55,813 of 63,945
Agree. It is questionable to let kids using ear V or U-shape IEM, it may affect premature hearing impaired or trigger bad listening habits. Final E500 or E1000 is good neutral and affordable IEM, with very small shells which should fit to child’s ears as well.
I’d forget about Etymotics, because those are “hearing-aid neutral; i.e. voice centric”.
Maybe a CCA CKX with the stock filter removed, a micropore filter added and a new wax filter installed over that? Should drop the treble to comfortable listening levels without needing EQ. You'll need a small eartip with a fairly thin tube wall since the nozzle on the CKX is so ridiculously huge.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #55,814 of 63,945

I realize for my younger relatives, most of them are into TWS or just stuff with nice design/colours. They are also impressionable and will follow the latest trends and brands that their friends use.

So they go more for looks and brand-name than actual sound quality. I have bought some bang for buck chifi to gift them as Christmas gifts and they didn't really use it, I see them using beats gear and apple pods zzzzzz.

FWIW, my kids use some sniggle headphones. This one is comfortable and has a built in volume limiter, so as not to spoil their hearing. I have tried amping it on my desktop amp and it indeed can't go more than 60 dB or so on a normal smartphone. Pretty cheap too at around $10 usd, so no biggie if they damage it.

IMG_20210530_192524.jpg

A lot of younger kids can't fit traditional iems and earbuds due to their smaller ears, so I guess at least headphones should be better fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back