Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 28, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #55,818 of 63,944
I know both me and the shop are being overly efficient this time...

11 Resistors and 2 Caps?

They are really light, almost too light and plastic. Definitely not a successor of the ZAX but the CSN.
Got the black/gold incoming. Good thing that even the mid-tier KZ's now come with a better cable. So it's warmer than the usual V tuning? More relaxed treble?

Might the BA be also taming the highs just like in your findings with the CSN?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #55,819 of 63,944
I know both me and the shop are being overly efficient this time...

11 Resistors and 2 Caps?

They are really light, almost too light and plastic. Definitely not a successor of the ZAX but the CSN.
Just a bassier version of the CSN? And you need a bass heavy track to hear the difference. Mids are also slightly thicker but not by much.

The array of 50024s are there to add bass? Just like in the AST?
ZAS vs CSN.PNG

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #55,822 of 63,944
Oh, my bad. Must have mixed up the results of your test 😂
Not really. It is very confusing. I mean the BAs don't make a sound as I could not hear any difference between the left (stocked wired the BA in phase) and right (stocked wired the BA in antiphase). I replaced the PCB and then I could hear the difference. The QC or maybe the design is really making it very confusing.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #55,826 of 63,944
Seriously, get a pair of CSN and just simply replaced the stock PCB, also check the wiring of the BAs you should be quite satisfied.
Seems like a fun pastime, but not necessarily the most inexpensive way to get a nice set of IEMs. Still, a valuable experience and a nice entry into tinkering to make your own IEMs down the road.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #55,827 of 63,944
I already have the CSN. Are they easy to open up then? I have never swapped a PCB before.
First heat with a hairdryer to soften the glue between the shell and the metal cover. Then carefully use a cutter (or much better with a scraper knife) and insert it into the slit between the shell and the cover. It is best to start from the top as it is kind of an even surface. Then you should see a free floating PCB there connected in series with the 30095 like this +ve -> 20ohm -> 330nF - +ve BA. I fabricated PCBs with those PCBs with a lot of holes myself to make the soldering easier. Also, I used metal film resistors and ceramic caps.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #55,828 of 63,944
Just a bassier version of the CSN? And you need a bass heavy track to hear the difference. Mids are also slightly thicker but not by much.

The array of 50024s are there to add bass? Just like in the AST?
To be fair I think the BAs in there may need some time to run-in and to settle but so far I think the 50024s are not bringing extra definition and dimensions to the mix, actually the other way round. It is easy to hear that there is more bass but the extra bass is making the punchy bass of the XUN driver kind of blurry. There is also clearly more mid but I find the mid plastic sounding, for now. I hope running-in will make some improvements. Will also compare with the AST soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back