Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #55,771 of 63,943
Even without burn-in ootb, the Variations is better than the AST. The variations is smooth af. The only similar between them is how both handle cymbals sound where they are a bit behind from the mix thus making the sound non harsh. The price is like 5x of AST tho.
Yep, it's a game of diminishing returns. For 5x the price it HAS TO be better, but by how much is subjected to the decision of the buyer.

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #55,772 of 63,943
Yep, it's a game of diminishing returns. For 5x the price it HAS TO be better, but by how much is subjected to the decision of the buyer.
Hm... I haven't dwell in the mid-fi since JVC HA-FX1100 ($300ish) so I don't know what the midrange offerings sound like compared to budget IEM like KZ/CCA, BLON, etc.
But from my listening so far, the EST drivers do sound different from DD or BA drivers. It has this crispness just like how planar vs DD in headphone sound.

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #55,773 of 63,943
Exactly. It also depends on how you look at the expenses over time. If you can be content with a $120 set of IEMs and resist the temptation to continue to purchase, then the increase in cost for the improved performance may not be worthwhile. If you continue to hunt for an end-game IEM in the inexpensive Chi-fi markets, then you may end up spending near enough the same amount of money over time. Of course, just because you find an end-game IEM, this doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able or willing to give up the hunt for the next new toy. It all depends really on where you can call it quits for the quest.

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #55,774 of 63,943
I, for one, even when having the most expensive IEM in the world, I will still buy other IEMs (can be budget, midrange or even high end) because I am curious. Although usually after buying more expensive stuff, I don't just blind buy IEMs for quite awhile unlike when buying KZ/CCA, I can buy 2-3 different models because it is cheap.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #55,776 of 63,943
84b39cae59c6442f.jpg!q70.dpg.webp
kz-dq6-05.jpg
54f41157deb3836a.png.webp

Same rollercoaster FR curves, for those who like their DQ6 and CSN.
KZ ZAX with Xun and Black BAs...
This is basically what i wished for (minus vented shell) and if its stable at $60, it have decent price too.
Now we wait for first impression
I think it is more like a CSN x AST.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #55,777 of 63,943
84b39cae59c6442f.jpg!q70.dpg.webp
kz-dq6-05.jpg
54f41157deb3836a.png.webp

Same rollercoaster FR curves, for those who like their DQ6 and CSN.

I think it is more like a CSN x AST.
That plummet off a cliff at just past 10K is quite troubling if you like to hear the upper harmonics. Best to wait for a review sample to land on someone's desk to see what it actually does.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #55,778 of 63,943
That plummet off a cliff at just past 10K is quite troubling if you like to hear the upper harmonics. Best to wait for a review sample to land on someone's desk to see what it actually does.
That would be my desk, lol. I was gonna mod one of my CSN to a multi BA DD set and KZ have done that for me.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #55,779 of 63,943
That would be my desk, lol. I was gonna mod one of my CSN to a multi BA DD set and KZ have done that for me.
On the plus side, you'll get a shell you can swap the BAs in and a crossover you can swap components on to retune it. Take us through your progress when you decide to pull it apart. Sounds like quite a fun time! I'd yank out a pair of the mid BAs for some BAs that can handle the ultra-high treble, but that would require messing with the crossover quite a bit, which is more than a little beyond my expertise.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #55,780 of 63,943
most likely you have driver flex on your left unit. you could try to fix it by sucking and blowing the nozzle, but it will happen again from time to time. to reduce the chances of it happening, try to insert it gently, also you can pull the earlobe a bit when inserting so you don't create vacuum too early
Is it able to be repaired?
So then maybe which part of my iem which broken?

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #55,782 of 63,943
Wow 10 drivers hybrid!! Is that like a subsidiary brand or what?

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #55,783 of 63,943
wow! fantastic! thanks for sharing! I was considering ordering another pair.

I ordered these during the Amazon Prime day sale. My first set of Spinfit tips. I got them for about $3 off. I didn’t really dig them with them with the DQ6 that I also received.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #55,784 of 63,943
Wow 10 drivers hybrid!! Is that like a subsidiary brand or what?
Their "10 drivers" is actually 5 per side :). KZ/CCA have been calculating like that since like forever :)

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #55,785 of 63,943
On the plus side, you'll get a shell you can swap the BAs in and a crossover you can swap components on to retune it. Take us through your progress when you decide to pull it apart. Sounds like quite a fun time! I'd yank out a pair of the mid BAs for some BAs that can handle the ultra-high treble, but that would require messing with the crossover quite a bit, which is more than a little beyond my expertise.
Then I will need to get another pair.... there is definitely a hole in my wallet now.....I will do some measurements first as I am not sure if it is worth doing so. I assume there will be no crossover for the DD again but will have a slightly lower contribution this time however still more than 75%. Maybe I will just swap the RC instead. For the CSN I still planned to do something overkill, that is to extract the DD and BA, tube them, mod the shell, and add an EST driver there or even a Bass BA. This will be definitely beyond my expertise also but hey, the CSN is cheap and I am not afraid of failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back