Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #4,951 of 64,810

What's your best EQ setting? Do you have a preference?

Let me say it this way... what the heck is EQ?
biggrin.gif
I NEVER use EQ, only pure music as it is. If I would use one, it would be zero, flat, nada. Off setting is best one
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #4,953 of 64,810
Let me say it this way... what the heck is EQ? :D I NEVER use EQ, only pure music as it is. If I would use one, it would be zero, flat, nada. Off setting is best one :wink:

Oh man...a good EQ can be pretty handy. Take the SUR s808 for example. Stock tuning is very midbassy heavy. They sound just ok, but really bloated.

Take that midbass out with EQ and you easily have an amazing cheapo iem. Fantastic soundstage, massive juicy bass, wonderful mids. Without EQ they would never show their real potential.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,954 of 64,810
smily_headphones1.gif
I too, always use a Flat EQ on my Source. That is why I collect various Headphones and Earphones, for THEIR Various EQs.

Example: AKG K701 V.S. Senn. HD600.

Two complete different sound signature/ EQ's.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #4,955 of 64,810
Oh don't hate EQ that much. When you mod any earphone you are basically doing similar thing, EQing by cutting / reshaping FR.

Why people hate EQ is mostly because of implementation of EQ. It can be hardware or software based. Number of EQ algorithms degrade dynamic range and overall SQ just to save some processing power, and battery life. You'll find that on some devices equalizers are beautifully implemented. In my case, I find EQ on XDuoo X2 very good.

With just a few precautions EQ can be used to achieve 'best sound' an earphone would provide with present setup. After all it's your personal taste that matters and not how 'balanced' and 'true to source' an earphone sounds. 

In brief, a good quality EQ can be used to make some final adjustment to the sound to make it more 'likable'. 

I've gone through both phases... loved and hated EQ. Now I use it based on earphone I'm using. This is how I see EQ, let me know your opinions, I'd be glad to know.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #4,956 of 64,810
Oh man...a good EQ can be pretty handy. Take the SUR s808 for example. Stock tuning is very midbassy heavy. They sound just ok, but really bloated.

Take that midbass out with EQ and you easily have an amazing cheapo iem. Fantastic soundstage, massive juicy bass, wonderful mids. Without EQ they would never show their real potential.

Or Havi B3 P1. With little increase in warmth they sound better to me! (Since I love warmer sounding phones).

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #4,957 of 64,810
Can anyone comment on how the isolation is on ED10? It should be better than ED9 because of the design, but then again, I wrongly expected good isolation from ATE too..

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4,958 of 64,810
Oh don't hate EQ that much. When you mod any earphone you are basically doing similar thing, EQing by cutting / reshaping FR.

Why people hate EQ is mostly because of implementation of EQ. It can be hardware or software based. Number of EQ algorithms degrade dynamic range and overall SQ just to save some processing power, and battery life. You'll find that on some devices equalizers are beautifully implemented. In my case, I find EQ on XDuoo X2 very good.

With just a few precautions EQ can be used to achieve 'best sound' an earphone would provide with present setup. After all it's matter your personal taste that matters and not how 'balanced' and 'true to source' and earphone sounds. 

In brief, a good quality EQ can be used to make some final adjustment to the sound to make it more 'likable'. 

I've gone through both phases... loved and hated EQ. Now I use it based on earphone I'm using. This is how I see EQ, let me know your opinions, I'd be glad to know.

I completely agree. Most of my head/earphones are used EQ free, but some really benefit from a few minor tweaks here and there. EQ can be a great tool if implemented correctly. :)

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #4,959 of 64,810
I completely agree. Most of my head/earphones are used EQ free, but some really benefit from a few minor tweaks here and there. EQ can be a great tool if implemented correctly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup : )   

I don't say forcefully use EQ, but don't shy away from trying it! Might worth a try in some combinations.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #4,961 of 64,810
  Can anyone comment on how the isolation is on ED10? It should be better than ED9 because of the design, but then again, I wrongly expected good isolation from ATE too..

They isolate really well for my medium size tip ears. I only had wished that besides the medium blue spiral tips they provided they would have threw in some small and large blue spirals as well. So, mine fits very well with the medium size spiral tips.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #4,964 of 64,810
I could not get good seal using default and Sony Hybrid tips. Spinfit tips do a good job with ED10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back