Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 20, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #44,283 of 63,966
May 20, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #44,284 of 63,966
Group pictures IMG_20190520_172229.jpg

May 20, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #44,285 of 63,966
I'm looking for KZ IEM's that are bass heavy, and about $15 or less.
Bonus points if the IEM's are nice and loud.
All I have are a pair of KZ ATE-S.
What do you recommend?

May 20, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #44,286 of 63,966
What do you recommend?
If you could up the budget to $20 then kz zsn is pretty good.

May 20, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #44,289 of 63,966
What do you recommend?

KZ ZS3e

May 20, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #44,290 of 63,966
Problem with zs3 or zs3e is the shape of the iem might not suitable for everyone while zsn shape is pretty universal. I don't know about the sound of zs3e tho, but i do have zs3 and it was pretty nice, but it hurt my ear after awhile.

May 20, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #44,291 of 63,966
What do you recommend?

Bass heavy is a subjective term and means different things for different people. I consider myself a extreme basshead. KZ ES4 are legit basshead. They also take EQ boost and Amp rather well and can go to a level that most cant. They should be around $12.

May 20, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #44,292 of 63,966
this review doesn't help
http://www.thephonograph.net/kz-zs10-pro-review/

but i won't order them, as much as i'd like to hear them. i already have several pairs of IEMs and they are getting less and less use over time. I prefer the sound of headphones for one thing. Even small headphones like the Koss KSC75's. And more importantly, I have sensitive skin in my ears which gets very itchy no matter what type of tip I use.

There's no doubt the the small form factor of IEM's is attractive when you are mobile, or exercising....but they just don't work for me any more.
How ironic, as I'm going in the opposite direction, preferring iem's now over headphones. Had a bad experience many years ago with an iem and swore I'd never buy or like one ever again and then got into headphones. Over the past 6-8 months though (after discovering HBB aka BadGuyGoodReviews on YouTube) and buying the Moondrop Kanas Pro, I'm so impressed with how far iems have come both in sound quality and comfort that I'm seriously thinking about selling my headphones, as I rarely listen to them anymore. I have more of an issue with my ears getting hot and sweaty under the pads, than with iem's causing irritation inside my ears. Funny how everyone thinks differently at times.

May 20, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #44,293 of 63,966
What do you recommend?

I left you a message in the big ear thread. I’ll check those large tips for you on a bunch of KZs, and you can decide from there :wink:

Update: I verified those large tips you need work on the following:

ED9 (both filters)
ATE
ATR
ATE-S
ZSN
ZSN Pro
ZS10 Pro
ZS5
ZS6
ZS7
ZSR
CCA CA4
CCA C10

It does technically fit the EDR1, EDR2, ZS4, ZS3E, but not super tight and may theoretically come off in your ear. It may be OK though.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #44,294 of 63,966
How ironic, as I'm going in the opposite direction, preferring iem's now over headphones. Had a bad experience many years ago with an iem and swore I'd never buy or like one ever again and then got into headphones. Over the past 6-8 months though (after discovering HBB aka BadGuyGoodReviews on YouTube) and buying the Moondrop Kanas Pro, I'm so impressed with how far iems have come both in sound quality and comfort that I'm seriously thinking about selling my headphones, as I rarely listen to them anymore. I have more of an issue with my ears getting hot and sweaty under the pads, than with iem's causing irritation inside my ears. Funny how everyone thinks differently at times.

I enjoy both, but I totally understand your frustration with the headphone hot ear issue. I usually use headphone less (and IEMs more) in the summer, because it’s hot enough I don’t need to make myself even hotter.

It does help if you use an open headphone, especially one with velour pads. The Fidelio X2 or X2HR is a good option, but there’s a million.

Also, Brainwavz just came out with a new universal ear pad that has a layer of cooling gel to address this exact problem. So that may be an option for you, assuming it fits your headphones and doesn’t change the sound in a negative way.

Just giving you some options to consider...

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #44,295 of 63,966
I enjoy both, but I totally understand your frustration with the headphone hot ear issue. I usually use headphone less (and IEMs more) in the summer, because it’s hot enough I don’t need to make myself even hotter.

It does help if you use an open headphone, especially one with velour pads. The Fidelio X2 or X2HR is a good option, but there’s a million.

Also, Brainwavz just came out with a new universal ear pad that has a layer of cooling gel to address this exact problem. So that may be an option for you, assuming it fits your headphones and doesn’t change the sound in a negative way.

Just giving you some options to consider...
Thanks for the info, Slater! I might check into those Brainwavz pads and see if there is something available for the cans I own. Only set of closed back I have is the Takstar Pro82, and funny enough, those I have the least problem with. The pads are super comfy and I can wear them for hours. My 2 open back (Grado SR225 and Massdrop Hifiman 4XX) are the ones that get the warmest for me. The foam pads on the Grado gets itchy fast and I have the new A-pads (I think that's what they call them) on the 4xx that have a velour part that sits against your head over your ear and the rest of the pad is like a pleather memory foam like material which I find gets really hot and uncomfortable after less than 30 minutes of wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back