Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #43,876 of 64,424
Yeah man. Those shameless shilly previews. Like this nerds' "First Look". Pure propaganda!!! https://thecontraptionist.blog/2019/04/28/kz-zs10-pro-first-look/

I just read your full review on the ZS10 Pro, and I wish I saw it sooner as I just ordered a ZS10 Pro yesterday thinking it may be a better "value" over the ZS7...

had I known ZS10 Pro and ZS7 are performing on the same level, and being similarly priced, my preferred sound signature would be the ZS7

oh well, such is the way with this hobby... :wink: and thank you for the review.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #43,878 of 64,424
Anybody, please?

I have the first cable in your list, and it is good. For general use, I actually like this one a bit better:

US $7.86 42%OFF | KZ ZSA/ZS3/ZS4/ZS5/ZS6 1.2M High Purity Oxygen Free Copper Headset Silver Plated Wire 0.75mm Pin Upgrade Cable For Original
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bh25ACGu

Not sure if is available still. Oh, the TRN cable looks interesting, but I do not own one.

May 10, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #43,879 of 64,424
Exactly, that is why less is more...if you take away the teasers, it leaves more time for reviewing and enjoying life. But I don't run a blog, take part in social media or do reviews so what do I know.

Again wasn't singling out anyone, I can pull up at least 3 promotions, all 3 received from linsoul, all published end of April so I assume as part of the deal they wanted press coverage. Now, get going with those reviews...NOW! NOW! NOW! :p

I get what you mean about leaving out the teasers to spend more time elsewhere, but they help prevent tons of questions which can take a lot of time answering, esp. if they're looking for comparisons. The teaser doesn't have those, but they can request something in the comments and I'll try to work it into the review. Just as certain review formats have become somewhat standard, teasers seem to be heading that way as well. Honestly I'd rather have them than not. Pictures can be helpful, even if the written content isn't.

In regards to Linsoul, yeah, she sends out a lot of samples to lots of reviewers. Can't speak to anyone else, but she lets me review at my own pace since she knows I like to take my time, and right now I've got stuff going on in my personal life that means I have to put aside reviews for a few days at a time. No pressure for previews or rushed reviews, though sometimes she will ask to have a review up earlier than normal (ex. DM7 in time for it's Drop campaign). Even still, it's a request and not a demand or requirement. If I can get in enough listening time to write a review I'm satisfied with, I'll do it. Otherwise, it'll be done when it's done. Can't say the same for another retailer that used to send me samples. Their reminders to get the reviews out and their upset when the review wasn't positive, well, it was disconcerting. Safe to say I don't work with them anymore. Linsoul is much more flexible and accepting of negative reviews since she can drop that product and sell something worthwhile instead.

I'm assuming I'm one of the three reviews you're calling out since I had a very short (500 words), brief and I was hoping concise review of the ZS10 Pro (and ZSN Pro), which came from Linsoul.

I apologize it was short, and I've been alternating between short and long format reviews more recently because I am trying to listen to a lot of different stuff because people ask me to (not saying Linsoul or other companies, but people on HF or Reddit or my own personal interests), as well as just trying a different format. I have a busy life, with a full-time (+more) job that is completely different than audio, and a lot of hobbies and family to spend time with. I'm not a professional reviewer, and if I was, I am doing a horrible job at is, as I'm getting paid exactly $0 for this (besides random review samples which I usually give medicore reviews to anyway). I admit, my ZS10 Pro review was short and much shorter than the one before that which was the Solaris (which I paid for) and after that (the DM7). I just find that I will spend more effort on something that'll cost more if I have multiple things in my queue, and part of this is based on what comments and questions I've received. I get a lot more very specific comments on higher priced products than I ever do on budget stuff and I need to organize my free time in the most effective way possible. I'm always available to answer questions.

My ZS10 Pro review was meant to be short and to the point though. I recommended it, and that's not very often for me to recommend a KZ IEM. (Only the ZSN is the other one I recommend).

As for Linsoul comments - I full support/backup @B9Scrambler 's comments. Lillian (of Linsoul) just sends reviewers stuff and doesn't typically request any timeline unless it's leading up to a pre-release event, but even then (and I've missed one time before) she's not pressuring you. Most of the IEMs I've been sent have gotten bad to average reviews and only a small handful have been well received by me. So I'm happy with this honest relationship and I've spent money on their store to support their nice service.

I have also gotten pressure from other people about changing my score (higher of course) and that's really lame. Email exchange quickly ended after that. :D

Anyway, if there's any questions you have on the ZS10 Pro, I can try to answer them. I think they are a good budget IEM. I still recommend the Tin T3 over it though if you're ok spending a little bit more if you are looking for this type of sound signature.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #43,880 of 64,424
In regards to Linsoul, yeah, she sends out a lot of samples to lots of reviewers. Can't speak to anyone else, but she lets me review at my own pace since she knows I like to take my time, and right now I've got stuff going on in my personal life that means I have to put aside reviews for a few days at a time. No pressure for previews or rushed reviews, though sometimes she will ask to have a review up earlier than normal (ex. DM7 in time for it's Drop campaign). Even still, it's a request and not a demand or requirement. If I can get in enough listening time to write a review I'm satisfied with, I'll do it. Otherwise, it'll be done when it's done. Can't say the same for another retailer that used to send me samples. Their reminders to get the reviews out and their upset when the review wasn't positive, well, it was disconcerting. Safe to say I don't work with them anymore. Linsoul is much more flexible and accepting of negative reviews since she can drop that product and sell something worthwhile instead.

Interesting, thanks for pulling back the curtain, really had no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Thanks for the service you provide, I enjoyed your full review too. Enough to convince me to pick up the ZS10 pro since it might eek out a little extra upper treble compared to the ZS7. I love the ZS7, but it could use just a touch extra upper treble.

May 10, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #43,881 of 64,424
AS16 imo is good, but not a must have. You're not missing out on much by skipping it.

I get what you mean about leaving out the teasers to spend more time elsewhere, but they help prevent tons of questions which can take a lot of time answering, esp. if they're looking for comparisons. The teaser doesn't have those, but they can request something in the comments and I'll try to work it into the review. Just as certain review formats have become somewhat standard, teasers seem to be heading that way as well. Honestly I'd rather have them than not. Pictures can be helpful, even if the written content isn't.

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here also. @B9Scrambler, I like and appreciate your teasers. While they are not a full review, they generate enough interest on my part to wait for a full review. Also, over the past month or 2, I have been looking for a cheaper companion iem to use in place of my beloved Kanas Pro when I'm out on the bus or shopping. In doing my research, I stumbled across many reviews that that had your name attached to them, as well as links you have provided in these threads to your blog. I enjoy your writing style and your views have really helped me narrow down my search and option. Almost bought the TFZ King Exclusive, but felt it was a bit too pricey, so I decided to get ZS10 PRO instead. I'd like to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing and dont change anything unless YOU feel you need or want to. I think anyone who is a headfi member should consider themselves lucky to have someone like you who enjoys this hobby writing good, thorough, honest reviews. I for one, appreciate the work you do and it's helped me narrow down the vast number of choices available to a much smaller number. Keep up the great work, bro!

May 10, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #43,882 of 64,424
I'm assuming I'm one of the three reviews you're calling out since I had a very short, brief and I was hoping concise review of the ZS10 Pro (and ZSN Pro), which came from Linsoul.

I apologize it was short, and I've been alternating between short and long format reviews more recently because I am trying to listen to a lot of different stuff because people ask me to (not saying Linsoul or other companies, but people on HF or Reddit or my own personal interests), as well as just trying a different format. I have a very busy life, with a full-time (+more) job that is completely different than audio, and a lot of hobbies and family to spend time with. I'm not a professional reviewer, and if I was, I am doing a horrible job at is, as I'm getting paid exactly $0 for this (besides random review samples which I usually give medicore reviews to anyway). I admit, my ZS10 Pro review was short and much shorter than the one before that which was the Solaris (which I paid for) and after that (the DM7). I just find that I will spend more effort on something that'll cost more if I have multiple things in my queue, and part of this is based on what comments and questions I've received. I get a lot more very specific comments on higher priced products than I ever do on budget stuff and I need to organize my free time in the most effective way possible. I'm always available to answer questions.

My ZS10 Pro review was meant to be short and to the point though. I recommended it, and that's not very often for me to recommend a KZ IEM. (Only the ZSN is the other one I recommend).

As for Linsoul comments - I full support/backup @B9Scrambler 's comments. Lillian (of Linsoul) just sends reviewers stuff and doesn't typically request any timeline unless it's leading up to a pre-release event, but even then (and I've missed one time before) she's not pressuring you. Most of the IEMs I've been sent have gotten bad to average reviews and only a small handful have been well received by me. So I'm happy with this honest relationship and I've spent money on their store to support their nice service.

I have also gotten pressure from other people about changing my score (higher of course) and that's really lame. Email exchange quickly ended after that. :D

Anyway, if there's any questions you have on the ZS10 Pro, I can try to answer them. I think they are a good budget IEM. I still recommend the Tin T3 over it though if you're ok spending a little bit more if you are looking for this type of sound signature.
I was going to say something similar to this but you beat me to it. I dont think many people on these forums realize that those who review gear on headfi are not full time reviewers. There seems to be the mistaken impression that anyone who writes a review here is like a paid employee/writer for Stereophile or The Absolute Sound or something. Folks, let's remember that the people who write reviews in these threads are also just fellow headfiers who are looking to share their opinions and personal feelings about the items they review. No one is taking home a big fat check because they wrote their review. It's all just to help inform those of us in this community.

May 10, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #43,883 of 64,424
I have the first cable in your list, and it is good. For general use, I actually like this one a bit better:

US $7.86 42%OFF | KZ ZSA/ZS3/ZS4/ZS5/ZS6 1.2M High Purity Oxygen Free Copper Headset Silver Plated Wire 0.75mm Pin Upgrade Cable For Original
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bh25ACGu

Not sure if is available still. Oh, the TRN cable looks interesting, but I do not own one.
Thank you, mate.

May 10, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #43,884 of 64,424
20190510_014818.jpg
20190510_014724.jpg

Rocking with zs7s.

Very well rounded sound, i would like a bit less bass tho. Mids are recessed but have a nice timbre and body to it. More than average soundstage, no hint of sibilance and very nice highs. It is a very good V shape iem, bacause the sound have a very nice presentation and layering. It packs a weight and a very good dynamics. Bass have a very nice speed, the sound is tight and the mids-treble transition is smooth and coherent. Technically they do nothing actually wrong and are a easy listening experience, even having a lot of details and good treble energy. By memory they remind me of bgvp dmgs. I think kz is slowly and constantly stepping their game. I was curious about the zs10pro but accordingly to the great @B9Scrambler they are about the same with a bit more energy on treble, so i'm ok.
I will reveive the cca c10 also, let's see how they stack up.

The memory wire on stock cable is trash tho, i am using the cable that comes with the IKKO OH1.

May 10, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #43,886 of 64,424
Rocking with zs7s. By memory they remind me of bgvp dmgs. I think kz is slowly and constantly stepping their game. I was curious about the zs10pro but accordingly to the great @B9Scrambler they are about the same with a bit more energy on treble, so i'm ok.
People say the ZS7 look similar to a Campfire Audio model. I wonder if they sound similar too? I dont remember seeing someone talk about that.

Maybe KZ will start making IEMs that sound similar to others. :wink:

Either way, is it true... if you have a ZS7, a ZS10 Pro purchase is just wasting your money?

May 10, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #43,887 of 64,424
I'm not a professional reviewer, and if I was, I am doing a horrible job at is, as I'm getting paid exactly $0 for this

No one is taking home a big fat check because they wrote their review. It's all just to help inform those of us in this community.

Everyone who does a review of a $12 budget headphone gets paid:

2E0B6714-A8D9-4FB2-849D-68ACD2D13C69.gif

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #43,889 of 64,424
I was watching YouTube and saw some comments on the Moondrop Crescent. One person said it was 80% of the Kanas Pro and another said the CCA C10 was better. So I changed my mind to not buying the Crescent.

A lot of fanboys like the Kanas Pro. But is the sound signature considered tame? I have the Einsear T2 or whatever it's called which also follows the Harman Curve and compared to KZs it's very boring. KZ's are the best! :wink:

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #43,890 of 64,424
KZ's are the best! :wink:

Ya man! :thumbsup:
I'm still on the fence over the ZS7 though (all around better ZS6?). Since I usually prefer somewhat brighter phones I'd really like to know what they've done to get the steep treble roll-off of the 2 30095 BAs (maybe they've copied the ZS6 Slater mods, lol)

Has anyone taken a closer look at the crossover PCB?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back