Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 8, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #43,831 of 64,143
The TRN BT20 actually fits fine in my ZS10 Pro, which has the same form factor as the ZSN. I just don't use the BT20 behind my ears as the IEM doesn't make a good seal, but other than that, it works fine and isn't heavy. I can walk around and they will not fall.

Actually, you just gave me an idea of what I can do with my BT20...

May 8, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #43,832 of 64,143
Still disappointed by the ZSN Pro's tuning. They are just too bright and splashy. Extension but without control.

There is enough bass and impact per se, but even so is not enough to match the boosted treble and the resulting harshness.

I've tried to EQ them a bit trying to match antdroid's graphs and understand a bit how the ZS10 Pro may sound. Lower the ZSN Pro higher peaks appear to be the way to make these listenable.

I personally recommend to skip the ZSN Pro and, eventually, buy the ZS10 Pro, waiting a bit for a lower price.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #43,833 of 64,143
I started using stock medium tips that came on my KZ ZS10, I had a bunch of appointments today, bus rides, people everywhere and I felt like they had little isolation, if I held them in, pushed in a bit it was better so I got home and installed some foam tips comply or similar. It really brings out the details, isolates better and now they simply sound wonderful!!!!!!
The mids are perfect to me, everything about fit finish all of it is here and I saw some on AE for $33 that's an incredible buy I think. Might have to get 2 of these like I did with the DT6s.

May 8, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #43,834 of 64,143
Wait, if you're going to guy an upgrade cable, no need to mod a Type B or Type C cable to work with Type A. Just get one that works with Type A to begin with.

As far as stock cables, Type A cables fit Type B IEMs (although there's a gap around the plug), but not the other way around.

What exact upgrade cable were you considering? Some of the 3rd party cables won't really fit properly (kind of a janky ghetto fit), depending on the length of the 2-pin protrusion (some do, some don't; it depends on the specific cable). But the genuine KZ upgrade cables fit perfectly, assuming you get the Para A for the ZS5.

Let us know what specific upgrade cable you're considering and we'll let you know if it will fit or not.

after my PM discussion with @hakuzen, I learned that by using an upgraded cable, it could help bring out a better listening experience from my ZS5V1, so I wanted to give this $3 special a try, but they only have type B and type C connectors, thus I asked the question if I can somehow mod them to fit

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...67-4eb9-98fe-a2895e6b59f5&transAbTest=ae803_5

and also, this one is a lil more expensive, but it looks like it is a Type A, and my question is, since I am planning to get a ZS10 Pro, so I want to try this upgrade cable for both ZS5V1 and ZS10 Pro, so will a type A cable work on the ZS10 Pro (which is type C?)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...able-2-5-3-5-4-4mm-Plug-2Pin/32974695270.html

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #43,835 of 64,143
I'm curious since everyone says this is the best model unless ZS6 has taken over that I'm not aware of.

Have you compared the ZS5V1 to newer KZs? How does it stand up?

ZS5V1 was my last KZ purchase, and this hobby itch is making me want to make another purchase, thus I asked about ZS7 vs ZS10 Pro and how they compare to my ZS5V1 in an earlier post.

right now I am going to get an upgraded cable for the ZS5V1 and then I am leaning towards picking up a pair of ZS10 Pro

May 8, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #43,836 of 64,143
Check it out...I present the "Flip Tip" mod for your Starline eartips.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

Starline 6.jpg

Attachments

• Orange 1.jpg
    Orange 1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #43,837 of 64,143
The ZS10 Pro is fun. Very fun tuning, nice soundstage for the price range, and a comfortable fit. The bass is definitely an upgrade over the regular ZS10, which I always felt had a nice tonality, but just felt a bit loose/spongy sounding. I was worried initially that the ZS10 Pro might be fatiguing in the high end (which would also have been a big difference compared to the original ZS10), but after tip and cable rolling I have settled on a combo that sounds really nice: silver KZ type C cable that I had got for my ZSN + tips that came with the TFZ Series 2.

The one area that I think the original ZS10 is better than the Pro is layering and detail separation. Ultimately though the Pro seems like a nice improvement compared to the original when you look at the whole package (especially fit + comfort).

May 8, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #43,838 of 64,143
Thanks for this! I'm gonna try this out when I get some free time. I have the stock tips that came with my KPE and I dont like the fit or seal that they provide. Tbh, I'm not really a fan of most silicon tips, which is why I like the New Bee foams. This idea of yours might change my mind. It costs nothing and since I'm not using the silicones anyway, why not? Thanks again!

May 8, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #43,839 of 64,143
Trying this out with the T2 Pro right now. One of my biggest gripes with using any tips on that IEM tend to be that I have to push them in pretty deep to get a good seal, but the extra length given by the tip mod definitely helps with that. As Slater's said, the tip itself is much grippier now and getting a good seal is pretty much effortless. Healthy amount of suction, though, so be prepared for that. Combine these tips with a little tape over the inside bore and the T2 not only isolate extremely well, but there's a significant boost in comfort and tonal balance. They're still treble cannons without the tape, though.

Units without a nozzle lip might be frustrating for some people.

May 8, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #43,840 of 64,143
Trying this out with the T2 Pro right now. One of my biggest gripes with using any tips on that IEM tend to be that I have to push them in pretty deep to get a good seal, but the extra length given by the tip mod definitely helps with that. As Slater's said, the tip itself is much grippier now and getting a good seal is pretty much effortless. Healthy amount of suction, though, so be prepared for that. Combine these tips with a little tape over the inside bore and the T2 not only isolate extremely well, but there's a significant boost in comfort and tonal balance. They're still treble cannons without the tape, though.

Units without a nozzle lip might be frustrating for some people.

Awesome, thanks for checking! I’ll definitely try them in my T2.

I’ve always had fitment issues with the T2 because I just couldn’t find a tip with a long enough core to space the T2 away from my ear a bit. The SpinFits worked the best, but I just didn’t like how they affected the sound.

So the T2 sit in my drawer unused.

Now I have a reason to pull them out and see if I can put them to good use!

May 8, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #43,841 of 64,143
Still disappointed by the ZSN Pro's tuning. They are just too bright and splashy. Extension but without control.

There is enough bass and impact per se, but even so is not enough to match the boosted treble and the resulting harshness.

I've tried to EQ them a bit trying to match antdroid's graphs and understand a bit how the ZS10 Pro may sound. Lower the ZSN Pro higher peaks appear to be the way to make these listenable.

I personally recommend to skip the ZSN Pro and, eventually, buy the ZS10 Pro, waiting a bit for a lower price.

Oh wow, I don't feel any brightness you experienced with my zsn pro. It is brigther for sure, but its way less than zs6 level. I would even say the treble is pretty smooth and I am using the starline tip that came standard on the box. I like the zsn pro sound better than zs7 and c10 actually. Not saying them bad, but zsn pro sounds pretty complete for me. C10 has great treble and airy, but lacking in the bass. While zs7 lacks in treble extension, but has sweet bass.

May 9, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #43,843 of 64,143
Mates, for KZS5, both v.1 and v.2, which of the following cables will have a better match? Thank you in advance:
€ 7,04 31%de DESCUENTO | KZ ZS10 2Pin trenzado de plata Chapado en Cable dedicado 2PIN Cable de actualización para KZ ZSA/ZS4/ZS5/ZS6 /ED16 KZ ZST/ES3/ES4/AS10/AS06/BA10
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cqN0mHCk

€ 6,74 46%de DESCUENTO | KZ 3,5mm 2Pin/conector MMCX 8 Core de plata de cobre mixta Cable uso para SE846 KZ ZS4/ZS5 /ZS6/ZSA/ED16/ZST/ES4/ZS10/AS10/AS10/BA10
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cdiZzyDw

€ 6,68 54%de DESCUENTO | TRN MMCX/2Pin conector 3,5/2,5 mmBalanced 8 Core de plata de cobre mixta Cable para TFZ TRN V80/ IM1 ES4 AS10 ZS10 BA10 NICEHCK M6/N3
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cFpcuOPW

May 9, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #43,844 of 64,143
Just got a pair of KZ ZS10 Pros in so I figured I’d leave some quick impressions here: Overall they’re a very natural sounding earphone with a neutral tuning, similar to the T2. In my experience though, they’re more comfortable with the over-ear fit + smooth plastic shell.
I was a bit suspicious of what seemed like a trend of just "more drivers" by KZ, but these actually seem to be a pretty solid buy for the price. Perhaps I'll have to try some of the 8 driver iems soon...

Also I actually really like the stock cable that comes with these, much more than say the ZS5/6 cables. Those I upgraded immediately, but this one seems pretty well built imo.

May 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #43,845 of 64,143
Awesome, thanks for checking! I’ll definitely try them in my T2.

I’ve always had fitment issues with the T2 because I just couldn’t find a tip with a long enough core to space the T2 away from my ear a bit. The SpinFits worked the best, but I just didn’t like how they affected the sound.

So the T2 sit in my drawer unused.

Now I have a reason to pull them out and see if I can put them to good use!
Have you tried Spiral Dots? I have just got the T3 and the nozzle is very short. I believe the T2 is similar. I obtained a very good fit because of the domed shape of the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back