Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #42,272 of 64,373
Oh, that's interesting. I think I read somewhere that people used foam tips because they were more comfortable than silicone tips since they shape your ear canal better. So I though you sacrificed isolation and durability for comfort. Now I guess you sacrifice durability for comfort and isolation. Then, knowing you can buy for $5 foam tips for years or decades... why would someone then prefer silicone over foam?
I've never used foam tips, by the way, once I receive my ZS7 I will know how foam feels.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #42,273 of 64,373
...why would someone then prefer silicone over foam?

Different people like different things. Some people like foam more. Some people have unique ear canals and can only wear foam tips.

I personally prefer silicone over foam because:

1. Silicone is faster and easier to put in and take out.
2. Silicone is more hygienic, doesn’t collect ear gunk which can possibly cause ear infections, and it can be cleaned with alcohol at any time with no degradation of the material.
3. Silicone is 100% bio-compatible
4. Silicone doesn’t absorb sweat
5. Silicone doesn’t reduce treble like foam tips do.
6. There’s hundreds of silicone ear tip designs, allowing you to easily tip roll and change the sound. There’s only a handful of different foam tip designs for tip rolling.
7. I don’t like the feeling of foam tips in my ears. The feeling of additional pressure once the foam expands is not as comfortable or enjoyable to me.

If I really want maximum isolation, I just use silicone/foam hybrid tips, which are the best of both worlds.

You do know the ZS7 doesn’t come with foam tips, right? Did you order them separately or something?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #42,274 of 64,373
In case anyone has been thinking about getting the KZ lightning silver upgrade cable for their iPhone, it’s available right now for $9.29 from CCAs store on Aliexpress.

This is 25-30% cheaper than it has been in the past (it’s usually $13-$15, even during sales).

They also have it in A, B, and C pins now (C being for ZSN).

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #42,275 of 64,373
Oh, that's interesting. I think I read somewhere that people used foam tips because they were more comfortable than silicone tips since they shape your ear canal better. So I though you sacrificed isolation and durability for comfort. Now I guess you sacrifice durability for comfort and isolation. Then, knowing you can buy for $5 foam tips for years or decades... why would someone then prefer silicone over foam?
I've never used foam tips, by the way, once I receive my ZS7 I will know how foam feels.
I personally prefer foam over silicone because silicone causes a vacuum effect in my ears and I can't stand it.
Altough as Slater said, foam may have more disadvantages than silicone.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #42,276 of 64,373
It is tax filing season up here in Canada. I thought it might be appropriate to keep tab on audiophile expenses. Unfortunately, we can't deduct them.
I am curious how much money all of you have spent on KZ?

I will go first. My total amount is only $60 before I came to my senses.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #42,277 of 64,373
why would someone then prefer silicone over foam?

For me, I can't stand the feel of foam tips in my ears or in my hand. Don't like touching them. Oddly though I do use foam earplugs sometimes... somehow that foam has a nicer feel and is easier to put into the ear. (for me). Also there is the grossness factor. Silicone can be washed and disinfected.... foam... well.... just yuck.

I am very happy with the sound I get using properly fitting silicone tips and they are not uncomfortable at all to me.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #42,278 of 64,373
Oh guys how does the ZS7 compare to the As6 and the As10?

Versus the AS10: The ZS7 has stronger, deeper bass with more slam, the ZS7 has better instrument separation and a larger more holophonic soundstage. The ZS7 has brighter, more sparkly highs. Treble is smoother. Good for electronic music and percussion.

The AS10 has stronger mids, it sounds warmer, bass is tighter with a nice texture, treble is more rolled off. Isolation is better. The earphones are lighter and larger, but less deep. It sounds more serious and less exciting, good for acoustic instruments and more relaxed sounding music.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #42,279 of 64,373
It is tax filing season up here in Canada. I thought it might be appropriate to keep tab on audiophile expenses. Unfortunately, we can't deduct them.
I am curious how much money all of you have spent on KZ?

I will go first. My total amount is only $60 before I came to my senses.

221.14 CAD = ZS7, ZS10, ZSA, ED15, ZS6, ED9, ZSE, ZS3E, ZSE Special Edition, ED7.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #42,280 of 64,373
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I indeed ordered foam tips separately from KZ as well, that pack that comes with 3 pairs of foam tips. I wanna try them.
Do really foam tips get dirty and can't be cleaned correctly?
Do they smell bad after some use?

That does not seem appealing. But again, I've read dozens of times how "foam tips is really what these IEM's need to sound good".

Mar 3, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #42,281 of 64,373
Huh, I just noticed one of the connectors of my ZS7 is wobbly to all sides, with the cable (tightly) connected. Anyone else have this problem? I wonder what happened.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #42,282 of 64,373
Huh, I just noticed one of the connectors of my ZS7 is wobbly to all sides, with the cable (tightly) connected. Anyone else have this problem? I wonder what happened.
Video showing the differences?
I will receive them this week and I want to know if that happens to mine as well.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #42,283 of 64,373

That happens from time to time on some KZ 2-pin models. It is no cause for concern.

All KZ 2-pin models have molded notches that hold the female sockets in place. The IEM shell has notches that mechanically lock into notches in the 2-pin socket like a key. So there is absolutely no risk of the jack falling in or out. The slight jack wiggle doesn’t hurt anything. It is strictly a cosmetic or perfectionist type thing.

Some members have added a bit of glue to the 2-pin female sockets to eliminate the wiggling. It makes them sleep a little better at night, but again is technically unnecessary.

Luckily it’s easy to do to models with removable backs such as the ZS6 or ZS7. If you do choose to do it, don’t use superglue. Take the back off and use a minimal amount of 2-part epoxy or glue like E8000. Don’t use too much or it could ooze out and obstruct the socket, or goop onto the pins possibly screwing up their ability to make proper contact.

Other disadvantages of adding your own glue is it making it harder to work on the jack if you ever needed to (like to turn it around or resolder it if it’s out of phase). In addition, the glue will make the rear cover much harder to remove in the future.

I personally leave my loose ones alone. It’s very minimal wiggle, and literally doesn’t hurt anything. Yet trying to eliminate the wiggle can do more harm than good.

Video showing the differences?
I will receive them this week and I want to know if that happens to mine as well.

No video needed friend. It’s just like if there’s an electrical socket in your wall that’s a little bit loose when you go to plug in a lamp or vacuum cleaner. The electrical socket still works perfectly and isn’t in any danger of falling out of the wall. It just has a mm of wiggle that’s all.

Don’t stress about stuff that may never happen friend. I don’t worry about being struck by lightning, or piano falling out of a window and landing on my head when I walk down the street, because those things may never happen. The loose sockets affect a small % of KZs, and even then it is no problem and hurts absolutely nothing. Too much stress and anxiety is bad for your health.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #42,284 of 64,373
That happens from time to time on some KZ 2-pin models. It is no cause for concern.

All KZ 2-pin models have molded notches that hold the female sockets in place. The IEM shell has notches that mechanically lock into notches in the 2-pin socket like a key. So there is absolutely no risk of the jack falling in or out. The slight jack wiggle doesn’t hurt anything. It is strictly a cosmetic or perfectionist type thing.

Some members have added a bit of glue to the 2-pin female sockets to eliminate the wiggling. It makes them sleep a little better at night, but again is technically unnecessary.

Luckily it’s easy to do to models with removable backs such as the ZS6 or ZS7. If you do choose to do it, don’t use superglue. Take the back off and use a minimal amount of 2-part epoxy or glue like E8000. Don’t use too much or it could ooze out and obstruct the socket, or goop onto the pins possibly screwing up their ability to make proper contact.

Other disadvantages of adding your own glue is it making it harder to work on the jack if you ever needed to (like to turn it around or resolder it if it’s out of phase). In addition, the glue will make the rear cover much harder to remove in the future.

I personally leave my loose ones alone. It’s very minimal wiggle, and literally doesn’t hurt anything. Yet trying to eliminate the wiggle can do more harm than good.

Thanks for the detailed information! That is good to know. I guess they didn't glue it very well, I though something might have broken off inside.Maybe hot-glue could work, as it is relatively easy to remove.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #42,285 of 64,373
Thanks for the detailed information! That is good to know. I guess they didn't glue it very well, I though something might have broken off inside.Maybe hot-glue could work, as it is relatively easy to remove.

No problem friend, glad to help.

As far as your comment about them not gluing it well, they usually don’t glue them at all. At least not on the models with removable backs.

I think the few that are glued around the socket, is simply extra glue that oozed out when they glued the 2 halves of the shells together.

My ZSR, for example, has some glue on the 2-pin sockets. But I think it originally just came from the seams of the shells. They run a bead of glue around the seam, press the shell together, and some glue works it’s way to the socket.

In any case, glue, no glue; not a problem either way :wink:

BTW, here’s a guy that glued his and some glue went into the pins. He also used super glue (a big no no). Luckily he was able to clean the glue out of the pins, but that’s exactly why I leave mine alone. Just more chances to screw something up. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2065#post-14183766

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back