Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #41,746 of 63,977
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #41,747 of 63,977
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #41,748 of 63,977
Wow, that really says a lot. He’s always been more or less a KZ basher.

Maybe I need to finally get an AS10 after all...
You have ZS7, and judging by CCA C10, they are not that far in capabilities.
So you may just enjoy ZS7, or consider CCA C16 (I am still waiting for it to receed in price - silly New Year resolution...)

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #41,749 of 63,977
Wow, that really says a lot. He’s always been more or less a KZ basher.

Maybe I need to finally get an AS10 after all...

IMO is very good but.... only on NOT WARM sources. For example in the Fiio E07K which is a good but a bit warm source, the AS10 is not good at all, because the lows overwhelm everything. Too much warm sound is strange, not sounding natural at all.
A simple Benjie K8 which is more a bright like source, the AS10 truly shines.

The AS10 is VERY source dependent.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #41,750 of 63,977
Some quick reviews of two things relevant to the thread.

ZS4 - The Contraptionist / Head-fi

IMG_5863.JPG

ED16 - The Contraptionist / Head-fi

IMG_5878.JPG

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #41,751 of 63,977
IMO is very good but.... only on NOT WARM sources. For example in the Fiio E07K which is a good but a bit warm source, the AS10 is not good at all, because the lows overwhelm everything. Too much warm sound is strange, not sounding natural at all.
A simple Benjie K8 which is more a bright like source, the AS10 truly shines.

The AS10 is VERY source dependent.

Just my 2 cents.

I can not speak to the AS10 regarding source but I can confirm that the BA10 sounds more energetic with a beautifully balanced presentation via my Cowon Plenue as opposed to the warmer and laid back presentation via my Fiio X3(i). Both DAPs have an output impedance of less than 1 ohm. IMHO, a DAP with less than 1 ohm is the best pairing for multi-BA in-ears. The ZS6's bright nature pairs better with the warm nature of the Fiio X3(i).

Perfect setups for both IEMs with many, many genres.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #41,752 of 63,977
I can not speak to the AS10 regarding source but I can confirm that the BA10 sounds more energetic with a beautifully balanced presentation via my Cowon Plenue as opposed to the warmer and laid back presentation via my Fiio X3(i). Both DAPs have an output impedance of less than 1 ohm. IMHO, a DAP with less than 1 ohm is the best pairing for multi-BA in-ears. The ZS6's bright nature pairs better with the warm nature of the Fiio X3(i).

Beautiful piece of music indeed

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #41,753 of 63,977

I have been comparing AS10 and BA10 for the last few days - very entertaining :)
They are quite close, sharing the same drivers and the same low impedance (14 Ohm) making them very source dependent.
If not for the fit, BA10 could be slightly ahead sonically (I managed to fit it reasonably with JVC spiral dots but its sharp corners are still felt).
BA10 seems to be more resonant, with a bit more highs to my ears.
AS10 is warmer and gentler, without much compromising resolution and the sound stage.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #41,754 of 63,977
Some quick reviews of two things relevant to the thread.

Awesome reviews B9:beerchug: Well it's clearly known in these parts I'm a ZS6 fan but since you posted the ZS4 review I just wanted to say of the latter KZ releases the ZS4 is by far and away my second fave KZ:grin: So far the better the source the better they sound but I simply love them off my ES100 with RedBook files:thumbsup:
I pretty much ended my KZ infatuation after the ZST's and not jumped on any of the multi hybrid's (10 models) as I've moved into a little higher priced models for these types of iem's. Could not really tell you how any of these models sound but I'm sure KZ has done a bang up job for their respective prices:thinking:

KZ 1 and 2.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #41,755 of 63,977
For those that have the ZS7 and CCA C10, what differences are there/how different are they?

The ZS7 is exciting sounding, bass is tight, solid and has a very good slam, percussion sounds nicely sharp, instrument separation is very good, soundstage is holophonic, treble is clear with a nice sparkle. Very good for electronic instruments.

The C10 sounds very smooth and relaxed, with a bit more rolled-off treble, instrument separation is slightly less than on ZS7, bass is strong enough, but ZS7 has more slam. Soundstage is slightly wider than on the ZS7 but less holophonic, it is less airy sounding than the ZS7. Very good for accoustic instruments and music with a lot of atmosphere, the ZS7 can add a bit too much excitement to mysterious sounding music.

I prefer the ZS7 at the moment, it often surprises me with how tracks that I have heard lots of times sound on it.

Using both with spiral dots tips and KZ balanced silver plated cables on my FiiO X7 MK II.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #41,756 of 63,977
I have been comparing AS10 and BA10 for the last few days - very entertaining :)
They are quite close, sharing the same drivers and the same low impedance (14 Ohm) making them very source dependent.
If not for the fit, BA10 could be slightly ahead sonically (I managed to fit it reasonably with JVC spiral dots but its sharp corners are still felt).
BA10 seems to be more resonant, with a bit more highs to my ears.
AS10 is warmer and gentler, without much compromising resolution and the sound stage.

To the rescue...

underdog-1.gif

One way to get the hot spot (corners) further away from your ear is to cut the neck from an unused silicone eartip and use it as a spacer to keep your eartip firmly set at the end of the nozzle. For me, this increases soundstage width and instrument separation while delivering an exceptionally clean bass response on the BA10.

10188253.jpg

An excerpt from my review:

Soundstage:

Soundstage can be very tricky when it comes to warm-leaning IEMs. In the BA10's case I had to do extensive tip rolling. Some eartips sealed perfectly but the bass became so concentrated that things got muffled. Other eartips had a mediocre seal and the bass impact diminished considerably. Of course bass can have a huge impact on clarity and airiness so you have to get this right or everything comes off half baked. You'll notice in this reposted photo that next to the Whirlwind eartip is a silicone collar that I separated from another unused eartip.

10188250.jpg

In order for me to get the best presentation from the BA10 I had to first place the silicone collar over the nozzle and then install the Whirlwind eartip. If I didn't put the collar on the nozzle first the Whirlwind eartip would slide up or down a bit too freely on the nozzle. Once the eartip slid down the collar the bass became more dense and the airiness would disappear. The silicone collar kept the eartip securely fastened toward the top of the nozzle and in this position there was an excellent balance of being "airy" AND being "full-bodied".

Hope this was helpful.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #41,757 of 63,977
To the rescue...

One way to get the hot spot (corners) further away from your ear is to cut the neck from an unused silicone eartip and use it as a spacer to keep your eartip firmly set at the end of the nozzle. For me, this increases soundstage width and instrument separation while delivering an exceptionally clean bass response on the BA10.

Hope this was helpful.
A very helpful advice, thank you!
Also I did remove the foam from the nozzles, as in your review :)
It made BA10 more distinct from AS10.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #41,758 of 63,977
To the rescue...

Hope this was helpful.

Nice Doc, you know if I do go with any other KZ it's going to be the BA (Big Azz) 10 Toasters:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know B9 might dis-own me for this but I absolutely HATE the way the clear Teardrop KZ's look with that circuit board for aesthetics:hushed: LOL

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #41,759 of 63,977
The ZS7 is exciting sounding, bass is tight, solid and has a very good slam, percussion sounds nicely sharp, instrument separation is very good, soundstage is holophonic, treble is clear with a nice sparkle. Very good for electronic instruments.

The C10 sounds very smooth and relaxed, with a bit more rolled-off treble, instrument separation is slightly less than on ZS7, bass is strong enough, but ZS7 has more slam. Soundstage is slightly wider than on the ZS7 but less holophonic, it is less airy sounding than the ZS7. Very good for accoustic instruments and music with a lot of atmosphere, the ZS7 can add a bit too much excitement to mysterious sounding music.

I prefer the ZS7 at the moment, it often surprises me with how tracks that I have heard lots of times sound on it.

Using both with spiral dots tips and KZ balanced silver plated cables on my FiiO X7 MK II.
I have the same experience with my zs7. I use stock cable, do you have an Aliexpress link to your silver plated cable? Or type number?

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #41,760 of 63,977
Nice Doc, you know if I do go with any other KZ it's going to be the BA (Big Azz) 10 Toasters:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know B9 might dis-own me for this but I absolutely HATE the way the clear Teardrop KZ's look with that circuit board for aesthetics:hushed: LOL
Oh, BA10s look amazing, beautifully machined aluminum housing, quite light (I do dislike using heavier cheaper zinc alloy in CCA).

At the same time when one is all absorbed in great music, not that much chances of looking in the mirror how dat clear housing with de board look like inside :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back