Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #41,041 of 63,960
Okay, I tried to get some up close pics of the mysterious unsoldered wire in each of our KZ ZS7s. I've circled them here in blue. And I have no idea where they go. Maybe someone who's built iems before can identify the correct location. I do want to reiterate that these sound fantastic (and despite QC problem and all) are a large improvement over the ZS6. I'd say they sound as good as the AS10/BA10 with a improvement in the sub bass only dynamics can produce. BUT... The ZSN and ZS6 might be slightly stronger in sub bass department. So, in conclusion, the ZS7 comes close to perfection but isn't quite there at 100%. I guess we'll still be chasing the dragon

Maybe the 8 sided BA will do the trick?

The last two shows closeups of the board and side soldering points

i've also opened the two shells. i think the "unsoldered" wire is ok, it looks like a soldering of two wires, using a tiny-bit-of-tin. it shouldn't create any problem while the joint doesn't touch sensible (positive) points.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #41,042 of 63,960
That's the main problem I have with painted metal earphones. My Nuforce HEM1 and EDC since they are (durable) plastic I handle them them without any care having them dangle, bang into each other or tables. Meanwhile I handle my ZS6 and ZS7 like I'm carrying quail eggs.
I think these can handle some abuse. Personally I love the little scratches and dents. Gives them a vintage and used look. And if it’s getting too worse, a little spray can with a nice color can do miracles...

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #41,044 of 63,960
Does anyone know if the stock tips from the ZSN can be purchased separately anywhere?

The ones that are preinstalled out of the box (not the starline ones).

They've quickly become my favourite tips and I NEED more pairs.

I second this. I want to buy some more. The default size is fine (M).

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #41,045 of 63,960
Does anyone know if the stock tips from the ZSN can be purchased separately anywhere?

The ones that are preinstalled out of the box (not the starline ones).

They've quickly become my favourite tips and I NEED more pairs.

Me too.

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #41,046 of 63,960
I do want to reiterate that these sound fantastic (and despite QC problem and all) are a large improvement over the ZS6. I'd say they sound as good as the AS10/BA10 with a improvement in the sub bass only dynamics can produce........in conclusion, the ZS7 comes close to perfection but isn't quite there at 100%.

IF.......the ZS7 is a BA10 with a lower frequency dynamic then that would explain why the ZS7 is getting so much love. The BA10's rich midrange is an incremental improvement of the ZS6's slightly thinner midrange. IMHO, if the ZS7 eschews the ZS6's 10-12khz lift in the treble (which is not an issue for me) but does inherit the ZS6's more visceral bass and soundstage depth

ZS6's 10-12khz lift in the treble and visceral bass courtesy of hakuzen and audiobudget

Hakuzen FR graph (green measurements are silicone vs foam on ZS6.
Note the shift from a 9khz and 12khz spike (silicone eartips) to a 13-15khz plateau
(foam eartips) at lower db and zero sub-bass roll off @20Hz)
10012487.png

Audiobudget FR graph
Note the treble indicates a spike at 10khz and the sub-bass rolls off starting @ 60hz)
ZS6.fr-2.png

Note: your ears may hear things as differently as these measuring rigs have.
The more feedback we have the clearer the picture becomes.

Again, thanks to Hakuzen and Audiobudget for posting their findings.

...and if the ZS7 has the BA10's more balanced presentation then the ZS7 would certainly have an incredible price to performance ratio at $35+/-.

Actually, an aluminum shelled multi-BA hybrid WITH DETACHABLE CABLES that can outperform the ZS6 at a $35+/- price point would be tough to topple.

617qJYrRy0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

515c46sExbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71K4EZAqVRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

PAY ATTENTION FOLKS!

With KZ's ZS7 making headway on one front and CCA's C10 making headway on another, both sharing inner hardware yet offering different presentations, the rules of engagement just changed. BQEYZ is deployed and making headway while KZ has employed a proxy (CCA). 2019 should be a landmark year for Chi-Fi.

I'll be reviewing several BQEYZ models and I'll follow those up with the newest crop from KZ (ZS7) and CCA (C10 and eventually the C16).

Only three weeks into 2019 and your New Year resolution is quickly becoming a faint memory.

Experience the fine line between pleasure and pain as you weep at the void in your wallet.

giphy-7.gif

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #41,048 of 63,960
I've messaged the official kz store on AE asking if they can be purchased separately.

Fingers crossed!

I would want to be able to buy a bunch of just medium.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #41,049 of 63,960
They are pretty generic silicone eartips. Unlike the starline tips, I don't think KZ makes them. You can find them (at least it looks a lot like them) by searching for "silicone earphone tips" on Aliexpress. They are the ones that comes in a 10 pack with clear ones.
Speaking of tips, the starline tips included with the KZ ZS7 are actually different from the previous starlines. The new ones has a more matt finish, softer, and overall more comfortable.

The ones on the right are the new ones
FoOjoQo.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #41,051 of 63,960
What values of Ohm adapters did you use with ZSN?
Did you try them with AS10?

I found AS10 being very sensitive to the output impedance and even cables (unlike other IEMs I have).
I've only tried a 30 ohm adapter so far. My 75 ohm Dunu is on its way. I don't want to try anything with my AS10's as they are too expensive if something goes wrong.

If you want a more scientific idea of how each of my IEM's sounded with the 30 ohm I will have to re-try them and get back to you later after I write down the responses.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #41,052 of 63,960
Zs7 33€ cca C10 26€

I must compare to have the most accurate answer. I'm sure of one/2 things. They are incredible and detailed. C10 seems more aerial and zs7 more impact/dynamic

But they are very awesome for the price. It's a good choice in both cases.
They're both not in your preferred IEM signature. :wink:

IEM Prefered : NiceHCK M6 / NiceHCK EP10 / KZ AS10 / KZ ZS10 / KZ AS06 / KZ ED9 / KZ ZS5v1 / KZ ZS6 / KZ ZSN / BQEYZ KC2 / Macaw GT600S

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #41,053 of 63,960
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #41,054 of 63,960
They are pretty generic silicone eartips. Unlike the starline tips, I don't think KZ makes them. You can find them (at least it looks a lot like them) by searching for "silicone earphone tips" on Aliexpress. They are the ones that comes in a 10 pack with clear ones.
Speaking of tips, the starline tips included with the KZ ZS7 are actually different from the previous starlines. The new ones has a more matt finish, softer, and overall more comfortable.

The ones on the right are the new ones
FoOjoQo.jpg

Those are not the same tips. The ones on Aliexpress are wide bore with a smooth top edge.

The preinstalled ZSN ones remind me of an Auvio tip, or a Starline without the star ridges.

I have never seen them except on the ZSN.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #41,055 of 63,960
Those are not the same tips. The ones on Aliexpress are wide bore with a smooth top edge.

The preinstalled ZSN ones remind me of an Auvio tip, or a Starline without the star ridges.

I have never seen them except on the ZSN.

CCA C10 have too. Great tips I found !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back