Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #39,886 of 63,958
Oh okay. I've just read that thread because I was wondering if my green ZS6, which sounds markedly different from the older red one, might have polarity problems. I still have no idea if polarity is the cause, but as for the concept, I get it...I think..?

My understanding:

There's actually a difference between phase and polarity.

Polarity is reversing the electrical signal, as when you switch or invert the + and - in a wire. As it is simply a reversal of the signal it would not be time or frequency dependent.

Phase is a result of changing a signal in time, and could be caused by reactive components in the signal path.

Simply reversing the polarity would not affect the phase; its graph or waveform would show a mirror image of the original signal along an axis. Shifting phase along the same axis is just like introducing a time delay; with the right amount of delay its waveform could be 180 degrees out of phase with the original waveform such that it would be identical to a reversal of polarity.

Hmm...tools of the audio engineer.

I thought all along they were one and the same; that is, if the internal wiring of my baffling green ZS6 were reversed, it would then be out of phase.

Anyway, I hope I understand it correctly. If not, well I'm open to anything just to ascertain that there's nothing wrong with the green ZS6 and that it's just tuned differently.

You definitely get it :)

Thinking simpler (for pragmatic purposes) - cables can be connected only two different ways, thus changing polarity (roughly equivalent of being in an opposite phase) is the only option to experiment with - and definitely worth to try to check if something is wrong.

In multidriver IEMd, some drivers can be possibly connected incorrectly, which would be harder to rectify.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #39,887 of 63,958
Just want to share a song where for me the voices are beautifully restitued by the ZSN :slight_smile:

Wow, that brings back some memories. Will have to get a copy of that album again.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #39,888 of 63,958
I do agree with you (I have a green AS10, & I find it very capable) except for one thing: his AS10 in the video are not "out of phase"
They are wrongly connected, yes, but both sides in the same way, as the angeled connectors are pointed both forwards instead of backwards.
This should not influence the sound. Out of phase is: one connected in a way the other the opposite.

Connecting in reverse polarity will affect the sound, badly!
Especially so if its a multi-driver setup with complex crossovers. So in short, the review conclusions on its sound are invalid at best, complete BS if I should push it further.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #39,892 of 63,958
Dec 24, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #39,893 of 63,958
I like the ba10 and thought it was a daring design that does not feel uncomfortable to me. I need to listen to it more as I have been wearing earbuds a lot recently

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #39,895 of 63,958
I like the ba10 and thought it was a daring design that does not feel uncomfortable to me. I need to listen to it more as I have been wearing earbuds a lot recently
I think you need to listen to it more. :wink: He was talking mainly about the sound quality. He said some 3 driver earphones sound much better. Maybe that's why you're not listening to it? :wink:

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #39,896 of 63,958
Hey HungryPanda, :wave::wink:

What would you say is your "top 3" earbuds that you love listening to?...and did you ever get to try the MEMT T5 earbud?

You can "PM" me some of your favorites if you like...thanks in advance!

-Clear

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #39,898 of 63,958
Got my Purple KZ ZSN last week, burned them for 100+ hours on mix of burn-in noises, Jean Michelle Jarre, Metallica, Spyrogira, AC/DC, slapped m/s JVC Spiral dots on them, connected with FiioX3III as DAC on MAC pro + Art Pepper New York album on DSF....and yes if definitely not endgame then a very solid high midgame. Treble is tamed and not harsh at all, lows are godly, mids with no complaints. Untill my KOSS 75Xs from Massdrop arrive(takes them longer than KZs :frowning2:)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #39,899 of 63,958
Sometimes in our search for perfection and a balanced neutral sound we forget the purpose of this hobby, that is, to enjoy music. I have been listening to the ZS4 for a few days now and they've had about 100 hours burn in. They are not neutral by any means having a powerful bass and a bit of mid bass bleed. The treble is bright. They are definitely V-shaped, however I have been enjoying my music more these last few days than I have for a while! For such a low price these are an excellent buy! Part of the reason for this is the excellent fit, comfort and superb isolation. Get these right and you're half way there! I can't recommend these highly enough. Full review to come after the holidays.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #39,900 of 63,958

20181214133135_21113.jpg

If the AS06 sounds anything like the BA10 then it should do very well. Very well, indeed!
.......and KZ's newly designed cradle for the BA's is an interesting and innovative way to channel the sound (foregoing the individual tubes solution). Looking forward to hearing the AS06 and CCA C10. They'll both be added to my collection.

Thanks B9 and thank you Clear.

Triple-driver with KZ's great low frequency BA
AS06 ($42)

4+1
CCA C10 ($37)

4+1
ZS7 ($46)

Grand Total
only $125

You'll hear no complaints from this Head-Fi member.

Zpolt on YouTube says KZ should discontinue the crappy KZ BA10.

Listening to my BA10 this very moment.

Hmmm...

The rich detail in the percussion and instruments:

The rich detail and density of the vocals:

The transparency:

The separation and excellent imaging:

THAT BASS!!! LIKE A BOSS!!!

Clean, clear and bangin' bass that DOES NOT interfere with the transparency of the midrange or treble....even on tracks mastered with a bass-heavy footprint. .

Timbre is accurate and tenuous!

Zpolt on YouTube says KZ should discontinue the crappy KZ BA10. What do you think?

My thoughts.....

ezgif_com_video_to_gif__94__by_akuma319-dc0w2q9.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back