Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #39,871 of 63,836
Great advice!!
Thank you.
Indeed, short and wide tips made a huge difference between small but persistent discomfort and a nice fit (almost as good as AS10:))
I used generic replacement tips (" Ear Tips Earbuds for Sennheiser IE Series, CX Series, CXC Series, CXL Series, OCX Series, and MM Series,"), which I got from Amazon.
They are also the tips that Large are 14 mm and not 13, which works the best for me.

Now I'll listen more to ZS10 and compare with AS10, ZSN and ZSA.:L3000:

Zs10 is very particular but very fun
Great big bass but good tuning I love them but I hate when there is too bass. Here I love it, voice are not too warm. Love this tuning!

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #39,872 of 63,836
Zs10 is very particular but very fun
Great big bass but good tuning I love them but I hate when there is too bass. Here I love it, voice are not too warm. Love this tuning!
The tuning is indeed special.
For the bass - BA of AS10 is my current absolute favourite so far.

But now that I can listen comfortably to ZS10 - I will spend more time with it and experiment with amplification to try to bring more treble, as it was suggested in this thread.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #39,873 of 63,836
The tuning is indeed special.
For the bass - BA of AS10 is my current absolute favourite so far.

But now that I can listen comfortably to ZS10 - I will spend more time with it and experiment with amplification to try to bring more treble, as it was suggested in this thread.

As10 is cool too

But for metal and electro and very fun and musical iem, it my preferred !

One of my preferred iem

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #39,875 of 63,836
The ZS10's have a bulbous body and short nozzles. So will not fit very well with a lot of people.

To get around that, use eartips 1 size larger. Also, it sounds best with a little amping (as they can sound a little anemic with low power sources) and wide bore tips.

So far, I found that ball-type foam tips make them sound their best. I enjoy them very much set up that way.

I agree with you on the wide bore part, but for me, the Radio Shack Auvio tips work the best on the ZS10. But, as you and other posters note, the ZS10 is pretty big and they do have short nozzles. So, your head and ear shape will have a big effect on what will work the best.

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #39,877 of 63,836
I was watching this AS10 review:

I'd say it's a complete review overall: measurements, a sound demo through MiniDSP ears, and subjective impressions.

The conclusion is that AS10 sounds off (tbf I think he said it more than 10x) and 1 driver can give you more juice than a bunch of BAs depending on how it's tuned. I even agree with that statement. But... looking at 3:19 you can see the cable is wired out of phase which explains all the adjectives he's been using along with this video.

Edit: He answered me on youtube and said it was recorded correctly but the video was a mistake due to attaching it quickly. I'm sorry for the fuss! The video still good then :)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #39,878 of 63,836
I was watching this AS10 review:

I'd say it's a complete review overall: measurements, a sound demo through MiniDSP ears, and subjective impressions.

The conclusion is that AS10 sounds off (tbf I think he said it more than 10x) and 1 driver can give you more juice than a bunch of BAs depending on how it's tuned. Ok. I even agree with that statement. But... looking at 3:19 you can see the cable is wired out of phase... which explains all the adjectives he's been using along with this video. So the video ending up not being useful to me and probably it'll spread a wrong scenario for normal people.

Youtubers and a KZ with the cable wired out of phase, name a more iconic duo. lol.

I do agree with you (I have a green AS10, & I find it very capable) except for one thing: his AS10 in the video are not "out of phase"
They are wrongly connected, yes, but both sides in the same way, as the angeled connectors are pointed both forwards instead of backwards.
This should not influence the sound. Out of phase is: one connected in a way the other the opposite.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #39,879 of 63,836
I quite like the ZS10, granted I got my pair for $22.50 on black Friday, which definitely boosts my enthusiasm for them I think. They took a decent period of brain burn-in, I think in large part because they sound very different to the other IEMs in my current rotation (Tin T2 and Ez D4), and I had to go through a ton of different tips before I settled on something that made the lower mids seem less distant, some shallow, wide bore silicone tips left over from some other IEM purchase did the trick. There's good bass extension without being bloated when you get a good seal.

The overall tuning kind of reminds me of something along the lines of a refined ZS4 - much more detail, bass that is more proportionate to mids/highs, and far better layering/separation of elements. They sound solid from my phone, but do benefit from an amp.

I am fortunate that the fit doesn't cause me problems, but I can see how the large housings could cause issues for people. I do despise the stock cable though, the same one that shipped with the ZSR that has the horrible memory wire that murders the tops of my ears. I stripped off the wire, but then the left/right cables above the strain relief tangle far too easily. It's worth getting a replacement for it.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #39,880 of 63,836
I do agree with you (I have a green AS10, & I find it very capable) except for one thing: his AS10 in the video are not "out of phase"
They are wrongly connected, yes, but both sides in the same way, as the angeled connectors are pointed both forwards instead of backwards.
This should not influence the sound. Out of phase is: one connected in a way the other the opposite.

Can you test it yourself and report whether there are changes or not? You're essentially inverting the ground and positive therefore all the chain of the cross-over circuit and BAs, I can't see how it wouldn't change anything. I do remember I've got problems regardings wearing the cable upside-down like in the video which resulted in the IEM sounding muffled, dull, etc until I figured out that polarity was the problem.

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #39,881 of 63,836
I feel like the ES4 try to go too deep inside, and too straight. My ears didn't like that.
The ZS5/6 category fit better on my ears, maybe because of the less long and a more angled nozzle.
In the end i have try the ZSN and, well, the fit is so DAMN GOOD.

Sound wise, maybe the more smoothest sound of the stock ES4 it's a better sidegrade to the ZS6, but my ears sadly reject her shape.

I think i now stay with the ZSN because of their great comfort ( and looking :grin: ) even if they need some EQ and i'm still not that sure where do the changes, in comparison with the ZS6.

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #39,882 of 63,836
Can you test it yourself and report whether there are changes or not? You're essentially inverting the ground and positive therefore all the chain of the cross-over circuit and BAs, I can't see how it wouldn't change anything. I do remember I've got problems regardings wearing the cable upside-down like in the video which resulted in the IEM sounding muffled, dull, etc until I figured out that polarity was the problem.
Here is an interesting thread on polarity.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #39,884 of 63,836

Oh okay. I've just read that thread because I was wondering if my green ZS6, which sounds markedly different from the older red one, might have polarity problems. I still have no idea if polarity is the cause, but as for the concept, I get it...I think..?

My understanding:

There's actually a difference between phase and polarity.

Polarity is reversing the electrical signal, as when you switch or invert the + and - in a wire. As it is simply a reversal of the signal it would not be time or frequency dependent.

Phase is a result of changing a signal in time, and could be caused by reactive components in the signal path.

Simply reversing the polarity would not affect the phase; its graph or waveform would show a mirror image of the original signal along an axis. Shifting phase along the same axis is just like introducing a time delay; with the right amount of delay its waveform could be 180 degrees out of phase with the original waveform such that it would be identical to a reversal of polarity.

Hmm...tools of the audio engineer.

I thought all along they were one and the same; that is, if the internal wiring of my baffling green ZS6 were reversed, it would then be out of phase.

Anyway, I hope I understand it correctly. If not, well I'm open to anything just to ascertain that there's nothing wrong with the green ZS6 and that it's just tuned differently.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #39,885 of 63,836
Just want to share a song where for me the voices are beautifully restitued by the ZSN :slight_smile:

Terrific song, I will listen to it with ZSN tomorrow, I have the Rose Masya earbuds in my ears right now and cannot take them out

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back