Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 28, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #38,701 of 64,004
Yes, the newest copper/silver 8-braided cables. The ones that look similar to the new TRN cables (although they are different from one another).

Out of phase means 1 driver’s + and - is wired opposite the other driver. So the drivers are basically moving in opposite phase to one another. Like if you had a 4WD car, but the front wheels were going forward and the rear wheels were going reverse. It wouldn’t drive properly.

Also, I’m not saying they’re bad. Being wired out of phase is a QC thing, and can (and does) happen to all manufacturers from time to time. The key is testing all cables/headphones ASAP so you can get a refund/exchange right away.

You should also always test that the channels are correct (and not switched).

There’s a few ways to test it:

1. There’s tests on audiocheck.net

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

2. This is a great test:

3. I created my own MP3 file that can be loaded onto any phone of DAP. Like the video I linked in #2, it tests the channels AND phase in one swoop. I also made matching cover art, which visually follows along with the music for easy identification as to what it’s testing. I don’t have anywhere to post it, but anyone interested can PM me and I’ll send it to you.

When it’s out of phase, it sounds like the music is “outside” of your head, like there’s a speaker on each side of your ear, about 10 feet away. It just doesn’t sound right. When it’s in phase, music sounds like it’s “in” your head, or like there’s a speaker on each side of your ear about 1” away. You’ll know the difference when you hear it.

So that’s what it was. When I used the KZ Cable with my ZSN it sounded off and I came to the conclusion it was because the pins werent long enough (because of the ZSNs pin housing style)

I used the audio check tests and all the out of phase sound tests sounded like they were in phase and vice versa. Wonder how KZ will address this issue

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #38,702 of 64,004
IMG_20181128_204051_737.jpg

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #38,703 of 64,004
I like the ZSN in the gray foam tips.
46986521_10215160662504118_6506608272114450432_o.jpg

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #38,704 of 64,004
@SybilLance I C we are using the same IC as well:wink: Evwr since Topping rectified the EMI/RFI issue associated with the original NX1 they have steadily improved on each product and as sais offer great return on investment.

I C it too. :relaxed:

Hoping my husband favorably responds to the occasional subtle hints dropped his way about the new Topping NX3s.
:blush: :pray:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #38,705 of 64,004
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #38,706 of 64,004
Received my cyan zsn yesterday and immediately played thru it the pink noise the whole night and I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounds. It's strange that when I A/B it against my IT01, i find the IT01 a bit boomy(not basshead level) compared to the zsn. Seems like I'm hearing the details and clarity of my Ath m50x (without being harsh or sibilant) on the zsn. It's just my opinion though and my sound preference leans towards brighter sound signature. I know the two iems has different drivers (1DD and 1 hybrid) but just sharing my initial impression and experience and must say that KZ has done a great job on the zsn.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #38,707 of 64,004

Out of phase means 1 driver’s + and - is wired opposite the other driver. So the drivers are basically moving in opposite phase to one another. Like if you had a 4WD car, but the front wheels were going forward and the rear wheels were going reverse. It wouldn’t drive properly.

Also, I’m not saying they’re bad. Being wired out of phase is a QC thing, and can (and does) happen to all manufacturers from time to time. The key is testing all cables/headphones ASAP so you can get a refund/exchange right away.

You should also always test that the channels are correct (and not switched).

There’s a few ways to test it:

1. There’s tests on audiocheck.net

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

2. This is a great test:

3. I created my own MP3 file that can be loaded onto any phone of DAP. Like the video I linked in #2, it tests the channels AND phase in one swoop. I also made matching cover art, which visually follows along with the music for easy identification as to what it’s testing. I don’t have anywhere to post it, but anyone interested can PM me and I’ll send it to you.

When it’s out of phase, it sounds like the music is “outside” of your head, like there’s a speaker on each side of your ear, about 10 feet away. It just doesn’t sound right. When it’s in phase, music sounds like it’s “in” your head, or like there’s a speaker on each side of your ear about 1” away. You’ll know the difference when you hear it.

Thanks for the handy link! And what do you know? My ZSN is wired out of phase. This is probably why I haven't been quite as happy with it as the rest of you. There was something "off" about the imaging. Unfortunately, it is not quite as easy to reverse one of the wires since the connector is angled, so I went back to one of my other "straight" KZ cables. Unfortunately it is one of IEMS that is wired out of phase, so getting a replacement "ZSN cable is not enough.

Damned KZ Quality Control....

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #38,708 of 64,004
Received my cyan zsn yesterday and immediately played thru it the pink noise the whole night and I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounds. It's strange that when I A/B it against my IT01, i find the IT01 a bit boomy(not basshead level) compared to the zsn. Seems like I'm hearing the details and clarity of my Ath m50x (without being harsh or sibilant) on the zsn. It's just my opinion though and my sound preference leans towards brighter sound signature. I know the two iems has different drivers (1DD and 1 hybrid) but just sharing my initial impression and experience and must say that KZ has done a great job on the zsn.

Glad you like the ZSN. Try a medium or wide-bore eartip and you might like it even better.
:relaxed:

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #38,710 of 64,004

That was my thought too when I compared the iT01 with ZSN.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #38,711 of 64,004
DLC (diamond like coating) is supposed to be the holy grail titanium-killer for driver diaphragm coatings. I don’t have any DLC drivers yet, but I am looking forward to it when they become more common.
Save up for IT01S instead buying IT01 :wink: They are supposed to be DLC as far as I know.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #38,712 of 64,004
Thanks for the handy link! And what do you know? My ZSN is wired out of phase. This is probably why I haven't been quite as happy with it as the rest of you. There was something "off" about the imaging. Unfortunately, it is not quite as easy to reverse one of the wires since the connector is angled,

Damned KZ Quality Control....
You won the KZ lottery! One flawed IEM out of a million not! :)

Maybe they have a prize for you?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #38,713 of 64,004
That was my thought too when I compared the iT01 with ZSN.
Just to get an idea about Your two input about IT01 vs. ZSN:
1) What tips are You using with IT01?
2) What is Your source gear and amping with both IEMs?
3) What tips are You using with ZSN?
4) How much playtime has Your IT01 had?

After about 150-200h playtime my IT01 didn`t sound slightly boomy (which I also thought at beginning) and ultra-wide-bore silicone tips improve sound noticeably.
If You still find IT01 somewhat "boomy", then I recommend littlebit amping (they can take a lot of power).

But it`s good to know that KZ has achieved such good sound for so little money (especially compared against IT01) ;P
I hope I get my 2 ZSN`s soon and hear what they can do against modded IT01.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #38,715 of 64,004
Anyone has both the ZSN and the BQEYZ BQ3? I'm curious how people think they compare (though one is 5drivers and the other 2drivers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back