Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 23, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #37,231 of 63,913
The right side of my ZS3 stopped working today. The same side where the mic and control button is; I noticed it stopped working after I pressed the mic button to pause music, when I resumed back only the left side started playing. I'm pretty disappointed since it barely lasted 1.5 years of occasional use (about an hour 4 times a week). Seems like many ZS3 owners on this thread had the same experience. It was a great sounding pair of earphones for the price...while it lasted :grimacing:

Could anyone please recommend a worthy replacement for the ZS3?

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #37,232 of 63,913
The right side of my ZS3 stopped working today. The same side where the mic and control button is; I noticed it stopped working after I pressed the mic button to pause music, when I resumed back only the left side started playing. I'm pretty disappointed since it barely lasted 1.5 years of occasional use (about an hour 4 times a week). Seems like many ZS3 owners on this thread had the same experience. It was a great sounding pair of earphones for the price...while it lasted :grimacing:

tried switching the earpiece around to see if its just the cable or the IEM? 1.5 years is quite decent for a 15 bux or so IEM? I've had more expensive IEMs fall apart faster than that

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #37,233 of 63,913
Guys I found the KZ ED2/EDR2/EDR1 selling for as low as $3 on Ali

TOMKAS-Wired-Earphones-Metal-Heavy-Bass-Stereo-Earphone-and-Headphone-with-Microphone-In-ear-Bass-Headset.jpg

It's branded as 'TOMKAS' but I think it's just the KZ ED2. I doubt there are any fakes.

The EDR2 is silver. The EDR1 and EDSE are black.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to know which one of the 2 that is. There’s a risk it’s the EDSE, which isn’t nearly as good as the EDR1.

If it was me, I would rather not take the risk. You can get the real deal ESR1 all day long for $3:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/JzYQ9HQ

There’s also a seller that sells them in a 5-pack, and they work out to be $2.30 each.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #37,234 of 63,913

KZ had a defective batch of ZS3, and it’s been about 1-1.5 years now. My bet is yours came from that batch :frowning2:

If you like the fit and sound of the ZS3, my recommendation would be the ZS4. It’s basically the ZS3 on steroids.

Otherwise, if you are willing to spend a bit more, the TRN V80 would be a significant upgrade to the ZS3 and the ZS4. I just got a set, and wow the hype is totally justified on them.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #37,235 of 63,913
The EDR2 is silver. The EDR1 and EDSE are black.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to know which one of the 2 that is. There’s a risk it’s the EDSE, which isn’t nearly as good as the EDR1.

If it was me, I would rather not take the risk. You can get the real deal ESR1 all day long for $3:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/JzYQ9HQ

There’s also a seller that sells them in a 5-pack, and they work out to be $2.30 each.

These KZs are a great and sensible entrance to this world. Even the EDSE is excellent compared to most 9.99 brand-named IEMs out there. I use them to "evangelize" heathens to the KZ church, putting their names and addresses on GB or AE and waiting for them to receive a package on the mail. :smiling_imp:

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #37,240 of 63,913
I ordered a TRN BT3 and specified the 0.75 version for my ES4. I received the item, but the box says 0.78 on it. the vendor insist that the "so-called 0.75mm version is the same as the 0.78mm version." Should i believe him?

They are pretty much interchangeable. If the cable is .75mm and the iem is .78, you might have to open the pins slightly wider. Otherwise, it shouldn't be an issue. I have several cables and iems with both sizes and all the 2 pins fit with little problems.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #37,241 of 63,913
I ordered a TRN BT3 and specified the 0.75 version for my ES4. I received the item, but the box says 0.78 on it. the vendor insist that the "so-called 0.75mm version is the same as the 0.78mm version." Should i believe him?

I wouldn’t sweat it friend.

I think the difference in offerings was simply intended to get hit results for those people searching for both choices on Aliexpress.

For example, I often see listings on Aliexpress (eBay, etc) for “KZ ZS3 earphones ZS4”, when the seller is only selling the ZS3. It’s because they want people searching for ZS3 AND ZS4 to find their listing (and potentially buy them assuming they are the same model).

I’m not saying it’s right to advertise a 0.78 and 0.75 when in reality they are all 1 size. There are plenty of HeadFiers that use both sizes interchangeably on gear.

In my experience, it doesn’t really seem to hurt anything (on the cable or the IEM) to use them interchangeably. Especially if you realized just how small 0.03mm really is.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #37,242 of 63,913

The stock cable with microphone also stopped working on mine. The cable just deteriorates over time. It's not too bad to just buy a replacement cable for $4 on aliexpress which is what I did. Otherwise you can always upgrade to the ZS4 which is a really nice improvement to the ZS3. As Slater stated: ZS3 on steroids.

I am intrigued by the TRN v80 though since slater mentioned it. Though i'm kind of satisfied with my ZS10 and ZS4 setup as it is now since the ZS4 fits my running needs perfectly for the fit and isolation.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #37,243 of 63,913
I see no real world use for the TRN BT10. Because the pins have no 'cut out' for the KZ style connector, these could easily fall off when walking around with them not in your ears, something I haven't had proper MMCX do with my IT03's and Mee Audio BT cable, even when running to catch buses. Battery life is definitely not 8 hours, seems similar 5-6 hours like my Mee Audio. Cable is also extremely long, I'm not sure who has a neck length as long as the wire they give you.

It does do advertised aptX and does it well, but BT 4.2 support is not known. It says BT 4.1 on the back of the box, then BT 4.2 in the included paper manual.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #37,244 of 63,913
Got some pics of the ZSN up on my Instagram for anyone interested: https://www.instagram.com/the_contraptionist/
Sound wise they're nothing new if you're familiar with KZ hybrids. Still good though. The build is why you buy these. Omg they feel amazing. The updated cable is nice too. Preformed ear guides and the new 2-pin connectors are tops. Old upgrade cables work with it too.
That`s what I thought. Wont order them but darn they look HQ and gorgeous!

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #37,245 of 63,913
I’m waiting on delivery of TRN V80’s, I found them for $23 and went for it. They look sharp and apparently sound good........we’ll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back