Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #36,616 of 63,966
I don't know about good hearing but very little loss yet. Probably too many rock concerts and loud car audio systems in my youth didn't help much either. I did find that blocking the high/mid chamber just halfway in high section of does help a bit. You can block the entire higher register section since the tips do contain a plastic channel but it's a it like blocking a tweeter with foam. It's gonna tame the highs but you definitely lose clarity. I'm stick experimenting with it some but so far it helped somewhat without muffling the sound. The answer was be a smaller amount over the entire highs/mids section. We shall see... It does make me curious to how the BA10s sound and while I do love the metal construction, they don't fit me that well included the ZS6. They always end up unseating. The ZSAs are the one the few metal ones that fit nicely. I guess we'll have to wait for more reviews on the BA10s.

BA10 fits like a big ZSA. If you're fine with those, chances are the BA10 will be okay too.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #36,617 of 63,966
ZS10 has too much mid bass and very much lacks sub-bass.
After my ears treble also needs eq (cut lower, raise upper).
Basically it's U-shaped tuned oob with heavy rolloffs at both ends.

But it's a very technical IEM with amateurish tuning which luckily obeys eq well and the U-shaped tuning can be successfully flatened.

If one doesn't mind eqing then fixing the tonality rewards a nice surprise eventually.

I always felt like the problem with ZS10s were the vocals felt recessed. The mids and bass sounded good to me. They sound alot like the AS10s except the treble is cranked up like most KZ models lately. I will admit since using darker sets lately, the ZS10s sound alot better than in the past. They are really great for TV, movies, & videos. Music, not as much. I guess it's just what you're used to...

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #36,619 of 63,966
Thanks! I wonder if it was the size that made it fit though? I can always grab it from Amazon and return easily if they don't. Might have to check them out. Have you tried the AS10s? If so, how are the highs in comparison to the BA10s?

It's certainly possible. I have the AS10's too. I personally find the tunes very similar. Highs on the are BA10 slightly more elevated but more importantly, tighter and cleaner sound. IMO of course. Others will disagree.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #36,620 of 63,966
ZS10 has too much mid bass and very much lacks sub-bass.
After my ears treble also needs eq (cut lower, raise upper).
Basically it's U-shaped tuned oob with heavy rolloffs at both ends.

But it's a very technical IEM with amateurish tuning which luckily obeys eq well and the U-shaped tuning can be successfully flatened.

If one doesn't mind eqing then fixing the tonality rewards a nice surprise eventually.

Has anyone tinkered with the crossover components yet? @CoiL? @hakuzen?

I know a Japanese (I think) guy added DIP switches, but I'm pretty sure that was just to turn individual drivers on and off. I'm talking about tweaking the tuning frequencies via the crossover resistors/capacitors.

With the ZS10 having a decent dynamic driver, it should be capable of producing sub bass that would please just about anyone.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #36,621 of 63,966
Recently there is a hype with kz as10. Which maybe is value if you look at price point.Now comes the question of the year kz as10 or kz ba10. would like to know the differences.

Looking for a hard hitting iems easy to drive bassheavy iem maybe kz zs4 if they are not too bright like kz zs6.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #36,622 of 63,966
Recently there is a hype with kz as10. Which maybe is value if you look at price point.Now comes the question of the year kz as10 or kz ba10. would like to know the differences.

Looking for a hard hitting iems easy to drive bassheavy iem maybe kz zs4 if they are not too bright like kz zs6.

AS10. Performance is similar (though not quite as good imo) and comfort is less an issue. Price is much less.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #36,623 of 63,966
I posted my review of the BA10 over the weekend. I know my opinion has differed from B9Scrambler on it. We usually share similar opinions I think - at least judging from reading his reviews on IEMs I have listened to.

I found the BA10 to be a lot darker than the AS10, though the treble response is similar. That makes the treble sound harsher to me. The bass had good low end rumble and seemed elevated. Sometimes getting muddy. I posted my review on my website (in my sig) and also in the Head-Fi HeadGear Review section.

The BA10 didnt fit me, at all. I tried over a dozen tips and tried it cable up and cable down. I couldnt get past the size. It was too large and the corners were just a bit too square and sharp for my ears.

As of today, I find the AS10 the best KZ product. It's still not as good as some other chinese branded IEMs though. I would take the T2, T2 Pro, TRN V80 over any of the KZ products right now with T2 Pro standing out from the rest. That said, I prefer neutral with a slight leaning towards bright sound signature. To give more perspective, my collection of headphones include the HE560, Focal Elex, and Audeze Sine/Mobius, which are all relatively neutral and slightly bright sounding headphones.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #36,624 of 63,966
I just had my first listen with the KZ AS10, here are my impressions:

The AS10 is a V-shaped IEM with a warm tilt in its midrange. Its lower-midrange performance is pretty good, but the upper midrange (where some cymbals and high-hats live) seems pretty quiet. I'll have to let my brain burn in some more to see whether or not this turns out to be an issue that with the IEM or if it's just my ears being finicky. That said, I'm surprised how much punch the AS10's bass gets out of its balanced-armature drivers.

I gotta say though, I'm really digging the cable that it comes with. Excellent build quality that I didn't really expect to see in a KZ IEM after experiencing their (admittedly, much lower-priced) ZST and ZSR. Good on KZ for improving their cables in their higher-tier offerings.

Something that is a bit confusing, though, is that there's a lot of advertising out there, including on various Amazon listings, that mention the AS10 having a dynamic driver. This is made even stranger by the fact that the "exploded" view of the AS10 revels five BA drivers and zero dynamic drivers. Oh well, I suppose I'll chalk it up to Chinese marketers being Chinese marketers.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #36,625 of 63,966
I just had my first listen with the KZ AS10, here are my impressions:

The AS10 is a V-shaped IEM with a warm tilt in its midrange. Its lower-midrange performance is pretty good, but the upper midrange (where some cymbals and high-hats live) seems pretty quiet. I'll have to let my brain burn in some more to see whether or not this turns out to be an issue that with the IEM or if it's just my ears being finicky. That said, I'm surprised how much punch the AS10's bass gets out of its balanced-armature drivers.

I gotta say though, I'm really digging the cable that it comes with. Excellent build quality that I didn't really expect to see in a KZ IEM after experiencing their (admittedly, much lower-priced) ZST and ZSR. Good on KZ for improving their cables in their higher-tier offerings.

Something that is a bit confusing, though, is that there's a lot of advertising out there, including on various Amazon listings, that mention the AS10 having a dynamic driver. This is made even stranger by the fact that the "exploded" view of the AS10 revels five BA drivers and zero dynamic drivers. Oh well, I suppose I'll chalk it up to Chinese marketers being Chinese marketers.

Lol! I just saw the same thing only for the listing of the BA10 on Amazon. It even described it as the AS10. Weird. You can watch a teardown of the AS10 on YouTube. By the looks of it, I doubt one can modify anything but the board or perhaps replace the clear shell front housing without destroying the entire iem. There is that much glue inside. Well worth watching!

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #36,626 of 63,966
As of today, I find the AS10 the best KZ product. It's still not as good as some other chinese branded IEMs though. I would take the T2, T2 Pro, TRN V80 over any of the KZ products right now with T2 Pro standing out from the rest. That said, I prefer neutral with a slight leaning towards bright sound signature. To give more perspective, my collection of headphones include the HE560, Focal Elex, and Audeze Sine/Mobius, which are all relatively neutral and slightly bright sounding headphones.
The AS10 is a V-shaped IEM with a warm tilt in its midrange. Its lower-midrange performance is pretty good, but the upper midrange (where some cymbals and high-hats live) seems pretty quiet.
So, from my understanding, AS10 will suit better for ppl who like little warmth in sound and are sensitive to upper-highs and highs? But then again - some say it has sibilance/harshness in highs?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #36,628 of 63,966
I've just recieved mine, and it has a super-loud white noise present all the time. The BT3 had a small amount but this is basically unlistenable.
It's as loud as the music until you get to around 1/4 of the volume.

That sounds defective friend. Mine have a silent background.

Maybe it’s your source? My Chromebook does crazy things with Bluetooth sometimes.

My BT3 is also fine with no noise.

What IEMs have you tried them with? Maybe it’s just not a good matchup?

Also, are you using aptX? Because I’m just using normal Bluetooth, as none of my sources have aptX.

The fact that it’s happening to both of your modules (to one degree or another), tells me it’s probably something else - source, codec, IEM, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #36,629 of 63,966
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #36,630 of 63,966
Maybe it’s your source? My Chromebook does crazy things with Bluetooth sometimes.
Any source. Even without the source — "Power on" / "Power off" / "Pairing" sounds noisy.

What IEMs have you tried them with? Maybe it’s just not a good matchup?
I'm playing it back on the TRN V80s. Don't have any other 2-pin headphones to test with, which is why I wanted to capture the direct audio output.

Also, are you using aptX?
Yep.

The fact that it’s happening to both of your modules (to one degree or another), tells me it’s probably something else - source, codec, IEM, etc.
I've tested both of them with no source, and different sources. The BT3s are connected to a TinAudio T2 via MMCX, and the BT10s to the V80s on a 2-pin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back