Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #36,556 of 63,917
i owned the shure 535 and (superior build quality aside) they don't sound as good as the kz zsr or trn v80; likewise from memory i thought the tin t2 sounded better than the wetstone w40. which is not to state categorically that all the $$$ mainstream players are bad value or subpar, but you get an awful lot of bang for your buck in chifi.
Do these comparisons also apply if all of the mentioned IEMs are equalized to match the same - your preferred - sound signature?

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #36,557 of 63,917
Do these comparisons also apply if all of the mentioned IEMs are equalized to match the same - your preferred - sound signature?
i'd say so--eq can change the signature but will only do so much to enhance detail, instrument placement and resolution.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #36,558 of 63,917
i'd say so--eq can change the signature but will only do so much to enhance detail, instrument placement and resolution.

reminded me of the time I A-B the SE846 and a DIY SK846 chi-fi, virtually similar sound sig, SE846 came out on top, just. Staggering since the SK846 was $100 or so.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #36,559 of 63,917
reminded me of the time I A-B the SE846 and a DIY SK846 chi-fi, virtually similar sound sig, SE846 came out on top, just. Staggering since the SK846 was $100 or so.
i get scolded for mentioning specific diy clones, but i have likewise been struck by how close some of 'em get to the real thing at a tiny fraction of the price. the hell with intellectual property, right?

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #36,560 of 63,917
After spending all day on planes and trains with the ZSR today, I do think there is comfort issue for me. The sharp point at the opposite side of the housing from the nozzle presses hard into my ear. I can twist the housing in a way that the point doesn't make contact with my ear, but, it's easy for it to shift into an uncomfortable position if you're moving around.

Looks like the ZS4 has that exact same shape on that side of the housing as well :triportsad:

I believe the shape of the ZSR bulges slightly moreso then the ZS3's. Those that have purchased the ZS3's and then the ZSR's did notice discomfort on the ZSR's that they did not feel on the ZS3's.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #36,561 of 63,917
i get scolded for mentioning specific diy clones, but i have likewise been struck by how close some of 'em get to the real thing at a tiny fraction of the price. the hell with intellectual property, right?

tbf, we are in a KZ thread, so that got left out the door. The bean shape is used so much now, I don't really think it needed the SE846 designation, but since taobao is a messy place with lots of IEMs being released, gotta make your product stand out somehow. I've seen the Skald 4 being advertised as having "SE846" tuning.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #36,563 of 63,917
I haven't touched my much more expensive LZ A5 since getting the AS10. Something to think about.

The A5 needs far too many tweaks, filter changes, eq and tip rolls compared to just throwing on the AS10's with starlines and very slight eq.
Are the Sonion or Knowles drivers really meaningless? Have the Chinese copied everything successfully and for 1/10 of the price, or have the Western developments no meaning in the music reproduction field? I find it especially dumbfounding that it is the technical quality of the sound, not just using an unpopular signature, that is better in Chi-Fi than in a big Western name. And then again, there's crinacle's ranking in which everything cheap, like the KZs, is barely above utter-crap level. I'm getting mixed signals here.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #36,564 of 63,917
Are the Sonion or Knowles drivers really meaningless? Have the Chinese copied everything successfully and for 1/10 of the price, or have the Western developments no meaning in the music reproduction field? I find it especially dumbfounding that it is the technical quality of the sound, not just using an unpopular signature, that is better in Chi-Fi than in a big Western name. And then again, there's crinacle's ranking in which everything cheap, like the KZs, is barely above utter-crap level. I'm getting mixed signals here.

Unless you have measurements like innerfidelity and rtings, people's opinions are pretty much worthless. They can only guide you so far (lots of bass, recessed mids, etc).

Yes, the chinese have started making quality audio products the past few years that can meet or exceed western offerings, usually at a much lower price. Western names still have chinese audio beat in high end headphone offerings and noise cancelling headphones. Eventually that gap will close too.

You do get better customer support and returns for the money buying brand names (usually). Tariffs will also put a dent in the price gap over time.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #36,566 of 63,917
Not for Europe they won't, heh.

So you're saying crinacle is a deluded elitist snob, propping up an industry of above and beyond ridiculously overpriced IEMs :D ?

We're all extremely picky here and want the next best thing, otherwise we would all have SkullCandys and be satisfied.

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #36,567 of 63,917
We're all extremely picky here and want the next best thing, otherwise we would all have SkullCandys and be satisfied.

Wait, SkullCandys aren't TOTL?

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #36,569 of 63,917
Not for Europe they won't, heh.

So you're saying crinacle is a deluded elitist snob, propping up an industry of above and beyond ridiculously overpriced IEMs :D ?

for @crinacle, the $350 Sennheiser IE80S is just 1 tier above the $15 KZ ZS3, let that sink in. Not sure what point you're trying to make here, but fact is, just let the sound do the talking. Sometimes people care too much about prestige or branding.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #36,570 of 63,917
for @crinacle, the $350 Sennheiser IE80S is just 1 tier above the $15 KZ ZS3, let that sink in. Not sure what point you're trying to make here, but fact is, just let the sound do the talking. Sometimes people care too much about prestige or branding.

Wonder what he would say of the ZS10 / AS10 in his tiered rankings if he gets around to them ? :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back