Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #35,642 of 63,985
I just had another long session with the AS10s, and it will be the last. Mine are either defective or they are just horrible. Hollow recessed mids, muted treble - sound really cheap (and that was with InAir foam tips too) . The worst KZ phones I've heard and I think I have now tried almost all of the multi driver phones they offer.

Edit: OK after further listening and I don't know maybe something happened after I was tweaking the cables as per the thread below (but back to how I had them) I can't say they are horrible, especially depending on what I'm playing. I moved on to some other genres and although the mid/high issue still is there, you definitely get used to it, on certain songs. I still stand by they don't sound great on something say like Fleetwood Mac Rumours or Neil Young.. Switched to some modern Jazz....and acceptable.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #35,643 of 63,985
I just had another long session with the AS10s, and it will be the last. Mine are either defective or they are just horrible. Hollow recessed mids, muted treble - sound really cheap (and that was with InAir foam tips too) . The worst KZ phones I've heard and I think I have now tried almost all of the multi driver phones they offer.
Maybe they are out of phase, please try to reverse one of the plugs to one earphone and see if that makes a difference

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #35,645 of 63,985
The cable that came with them is actually keyed to the buds, the shape of the hole has to match up...I just checked and they are wired correctly as per that key.
They're asking for you to swap because the polarity might be reversed internally. That's happened to quite a few people here. If it sounds hollow and more or less bass-less, that sounds like a textbook polarity problem.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #35,646 of 63,985
They're asking for you to swap because the polarity might be reversed internally. That's happened to quite a few people here. If it sounds hollow and more or less bass-less, that sounds like a textbook polarity problem.

OK thanks, I tried and the sound profile remained pretty much the same but slightly weird and fatiguing, so I think they likely were correct.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #35,650 of 63,985
ok at least that rules that out

Well that only really rules out that the 2-pin is wired right.

KZ has (10) chances to screw up polarity on the AS10. It’s possible that 1 or more individual drivers are wired out of phase. It happened on quite a few ZS10.

Unfortunately, with more and more drivers there’s more and more chances for this to happen. It’s one of the downsides to the ‘more=better’ IEMs. It’s very very easy to accidentally solder a BA backwards - they’re barely larger than a single grain of rice.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #35,651 of 63,985

KZ has (10) chances to screw up polarity on the AS10. It’s possible that 1 or more individual drivers are wired out of phase. It happened on quite a few ZS10.

Unfortunately, with more and more drivers there’s more and more chances for this to happen. It’s one of the downsides to the ‘more=better’ IEMs. It’s very very easy to accidentally solder a BA backwards - they’re barely larger than a single grain of rice.

Fire those responsible and send them back to the rice fields!!!! :angry:

“I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something. ”
Mich Ehrenborg

I have money for 1, or two, not 2000 :D

Still have the AS10 on my radar but am worried about the ear tips being stuck in my ear like the KZ5 due to lack of lips...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #35,652 of 63,985

Mich Ehrenborg

Still have the AS10 on my radar but am worried about the ear tips being stuck in my ear like the KZ5 due to lack of lips...

The AS10 has three little grooves on the side of the bore that stick out to hold tips in place. It's not a full lip though.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #35,653 of 63,985

Mich Ehrenborg

They have protrusions that act like a lip. You shouldn't have issues with tips falling off.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #35,654 of 63,985
How is the USB C cables? I have been eyeing them, however, i havent seen any reviews for them yet.

Is very good. Very very good sound ! Very detail and powerful ( too powerful for iem 16/32ohm )
Í reviewed it but In french... On YouTube.
It's far better than LG G7 for example

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #35,655 of 63,985

Doesn’t a computer-controlled machine mount it? They are expensive af, but keeps everything consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back