Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #34,396 of 63,882
This isn't an argument. I made an honest mistake in believing something that may not be true which I haven't confirmed yet. I will look into it. Thanks. :)

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #34,397 of 63,882
Why did you allow them to take the romantic route instead of the classier route? Is that the kind of romance you have your headphones, no class?? :) China Air Post or E-Packet is best for North America.

I did use E-Packet, but even though I ordered on June 14th, during the lates Ali sale, they have still not shown up...

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #34,399 of 63,882
Got a review sample ES4 from Gearbest today. Gonna leave them on overnight with some pink noise and then get started with them. The ZS10 lineage is definitely visible but the size is enough smaller that I am already liking them more than Zs10 as far as fit is concerned. Looking at the driver arrangement, I am expecting the evolution of the Zst

Well quick notes from initial listening.

1.) This is what KZ should focus on. No need for 9 driver per side - just get two drivers right.

2.) The Es4 has a lot to like. Strong Bass, good detail, reasonable treble extension without a harsh tone. Not reference flat by any sense, but a very good listenable signature.

3.) There is a some mid-bass bleed and a coherency issue right at the cross-over. This can dissappear if tracks don't have a lot going on in the mids but becomes more evident with tracks that are mid-centric. I have a couple of Haydn brass quartet tracks with Baritone, Trombone, trumpet, and French horn that really accentuate the issue right at the cross-over. Conversely, my classic rock collection rarely makes the flaw show at all.

So far, I am impressed with the ES4 when compared to ZsR and Zs10.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #34,404 of 63,882
just got the ED16
using the default tip and stock cable, no problem with the fit
and i like the ED16 tuning, even better than ZSR
i don't understand how this ED16 flopped on chinese market

it came with KZ ZSA, not yet opened, but i don't have high expectation for ZSA

Likewise, I like the tuning. I received mine earlier this week, but have waited to post about it because I have a cold as well.

I did a short test comparing the ZS6, ZS10 and ED16, and it is too early to tell which is my favorite. Note that I am using Neutralizer, with separate profiles for each one, using my Nexus 6p as source. Overall, I think it may still be the ZS6, which is really wowing me again. The ZS6, with a little help from Neutralizer, is actually pretty balanced for different genres of music. The ED16 seems to have stronger low bass, but I need to double check my Neutralizer profile for it to be sure I did not artificially pump it up. The ZS10 is somewhere in the middle, which can be an advantage, as it tends to disappear the best, leaving me to just enjoy the music. I need to do more testing and listening, as I tend to forget details about what I liked and did not like pretty fast. Iy is also easier to just compare two different iems rather than 3...

Oh, by the way, to the moderators - can you please consider lifting the ban on @Otto Motor? I think he has learned his lesson, and his banter is missed here... For example, I made a post the other day where I noted that the KZ ED16 was available on Amazon from a certain seller, and had no idea that this was the banned seller. I was thinking the banned sellers were only on Aliexpress. Otto pointed that out to me right away so I was able to edit my post. Thanks for your consideration of this.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #34,405 of 63,882
Is pink noise better to use than say just playing music at average volume to burn headphones?

In as much as any of it does anything, yes. Technically speaking just playing music does not make certain that every possible frequency is played during the session. Pink noise does make sure the entire range is exercised during playback and does so in a way that mimics most natural sound patterns where the higher the frequency the lower the energy carried. White noise would exercise the entire range but does so with equal energy at all frequencies which is less realistic. Think about the car passing by with the music going - what is it you hear from a distance? it isnt all frequencies equally - its mostly low-end.

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #34,406 of 63,882
Yes...sort of.

ED16 resolves more and is more natural in bass presentation compared to ES4

ZSA is all about harmonic resolution whereas ED16 resolves instruments and characteristics.(mid presence is more with dip on 4kHz like ZSR but less in amount to cohesively join BA and Dynamic driver sound as BA tends to get little more quicker in this area, leaving dynamic behind).

ES4 is jack of all and master of none(except bass control and power)

So, I currently have the KZ ATE and I really like the fit and power of the bass, but I still feel that everything is somewhat muddy compared to my Piston IV. The Pistons however lack the bass I'm looking for. I'm looking for a somewhat similar sound profile to the original Xiaomi Piston 2.0 and was wondering if the KZ ED16 will be able to deliver this. Is there a good, powerful and clear bass on these earphones?

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #34,408 of 63,882
Hello friends, what is the best kz for listening to modern POP music like Demi Lovato, Rita Ora, Dua lipa? I like warm sonority, exuberant with female voices, soft treble. thank you so much.

One where both ear pieces are broken and produce no sound.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #34,410 of 63,882
ZS6 equalized is still the best sounding KZ. Most open and largest soundstage, best details and most enjoyable to listen too. I'm enjoying it as much as the IT01 and like it better than the R2 that is considered better. Second would be ED16 but they don't sound as open and upper mids, lower highs get harsh. I still can't get into ES4, the lack of details is off putting. Metal tracks sound like a congested mess, all the cymbal tones are merged into the same "tssss" noise which, while not loud or sibilant, sounds overemphasized and annoying to me, very hard to tell any details. ZS10 are the least enjoyable, very nasal and congested.

I just purchased another pair of ZS6 so I have a spare in case they go bad, that's how much I'm enjoying them. Without equalizer they are painful to listen too and I'm not really enjoying them, with EQ they truly shine, people not using EQ are missing out. You do need a 10 band EQ minimum to make them shine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back