Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 5, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #34,366 of 63,796
I've got paint chipping off the edges (mainly corners) of a black ZS6, revealing the silver underneath. Surprised since I didn't observe any wear and tear before. It's very minimal so whatever.

It’s the standard anodizing that is wearing off; it’s not actually paint.

The only way to prevent it would have been if KZ used a different process called ‘hard anodizing’. It is more a more expensive finishing process, and not usually used for things like IEMs.

Hard anodizing is often used with items exposed to harsher conditions or high-wear, such as anodized aluminum cookware (pots/pans), tools, knife handles, aluminum gun parts, etc.

You can touch up the ZS6 body and keep it looking new with a Sharpie.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #34,367 of 63,796
It’s the standard anodizing that is wearing off; it’s not actually paint.

The only way to prevent it would have been if KZ used a different process called ‘hard anodizing’. It is more a more expensive finishing process, and not usually used for things like IEMs.

Hard anodizing is often used with items exposed to harsher conditions or high-wear, such as anodized aluminum cookware (pots/pans), tools, knife handles, aluminum gun parts, etc.

Campfire uses hard anodizing hence zs6 is not a copy of Andromeda

LoL

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #34,368 of 63,796
I like to have a variety to choose from. Not only with sound profile, but also with IEM functionality and price.

Sure, it’s nice to have an amazing pair of all-BA IEMs for critical listening at home on the couch. I can drive them properly with a bulky DAP and headphone amplifier stack. And they can have a thick bulky braided cable that’s worn behind the ear, and I wouldn’t mind.

However, I went kayaking today and used my $2.65 KZ EDR1 and iPod Nano 6G in a ziplock baggie. If I got them wet or lost them in the river forever, I would not have cared in the least. Did they sound as good as my expensive ones? No, but they sure sounded good enough for their use.

Same with working out. I want something sweat proof, and preferably Bluetooth. Do I need “amazing sound”? Nope.

Likewise, when watching a movie I don’t want to screw with something I have to wear behind the ears, of deal with memory wires. I just pop in my $25 MEMT T5 earpods and it’s done. If I need to get up or answer a family member’s question, they are fast and easy to just pop in and out. I also need something that sounds good when driven from a basic laptop. My expensive pairs do not fit that bill.

What if I want to take a nap with music? I want something small that disappears in my ear. A giant bodied IEM like KZ ZSR won’t do. Something small like the $15 MEMT X5 works perfectly. It sounds plenty good enough for sleeping, and works well at low volume.

So with my lifestyle, it would honestly be a big PITA to only have “1 amazing pair” and that’s it.

Do my numerous <$30 pairs - EDR1, X5, T5, modded BlitzWolf ES1, ZS6, ZSR, etc - sound as good as CA Andromedas? Uh, no. But they sure sound much better than average. I would not enjoy nor tolerate them if they sounded like dollar store garbage. But luckily they don’t.
I agree. I have plenty of options and actually use a lot of IEMs, one for indoors, another for outdoors, one for lying in bed, and different choices depending if I'm listening to music vs watching a movie, or a short session vs an extended session. KZ offers remarkable value. If you spend 5 times more you might find something with a sound you prefer, but most of the time you won't, and then you'll buy something for 5 times more again and it starts to add up. Trust me, I've been there.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #34,369 of 63,796
Campfire uses hard anodizing hence zs6 is not a copy of Andromeda

LoL

Andromedas still easily show signs of wear and tear though.

l6DNtoM_d.jpg

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #34,370 of 63,796
Not hard enough anodizing)

Everyone who wanted to order ED16 - recommend to order them, cause I heard some rumors around runet forums that it is not produced and can be sold out(I don't believe it, BUT:))
And don't forget to order the upgrade cable, cause the stock one is not that great(and it has type A connector(smaller than ES4, ZS10 etc.), and only KZ ZSA(from new lineup) cable is compatible with ED16)
If you like a bright, detailed and airy sound - it's great set of IEMs.
IMG_20180705_101422.jpg IMG_20180705_124810.jpg

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #34,371 of 63,796
Hmmm, seems like totally different signature from ES4.... which makes me wonder why even ppl compare those "better than this, better than that".

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #34,372 of 63,796
Not hard enough anodizing)

Everyone who wanted to order ED16 - recommend to order them, cause I heard some rumors around runet forums that it is not produced and can be sold out(I don't believe it, BUT:))
And don't forget to order the upgrade cable, cause the stock one is not that great(and it has type A connector(smaller than ES4, ZS10 etc.), and only KZ ZSA(from new lineup) cable is compatible with ED16)

Enjoyed the photos. I love how each cable compliments the color of each of your iems. That is important:) Very helpful info regarding the cable. I was using a ZSA cable but I was only borrowing it. I am now using one of the grey upgrade cables with the A connector.

It is interesting that the ZSA cable is angled but is smaller than the other angled cables. I wonder if there is a replacement option for that. All the others that will fit the ED16 are the straight one like you said...like on my ZS6.

Usually the word "bright" turns me off but the treble on these is not painful to me.

I've got paint chipping off the edges (mainly corners) of a black ZS6, revealing the silver underneath. Surprised since I didn't observe any wear and tear before. It's very minimal so whatever.

I will try to be very careful with my green ZS6.

I wonder if there is a green sharpie to match the green ZS6. So far mine is perfect.

Andromedas still easily show signs of wear and tear though

Wow! That photo is horrifying. That should not happen on such an expensive iem.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #34,373 of 63,796
Hmmm, seems like totally different signature from ES4.... which makes me wonder why even ppl compare those "better than this, better than that".
Well true, but I still think KZ ES4 is still better than ES3 and ZST.

Don't tell that they are going to stop the ED16. It hurts

And andro don't get that bad from my experience

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #34,374 of 63,796
Picked one (ED16) up for $20 with upgraded cable. (due to eBay bucks discount). Looking forward to hearing these. My first KZ purchase. I am an etymotic user, but I like having some other iems around for phone calls and casual listening.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #34,375 of 63,796
Well true, but I still think KZ ES4 is still better than ES3 and ZST.

Don't tell that they are going to stop the ED16. It hurts

And andro don't get that bad from my experience
That's what the Phonograph Review I posted earlier was hinting at. Glad I ordered my pair before that news broke

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #34,376 of 63,796
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #34,378 of 63,796

l6DNtoM_d.jpg

Correct, that's not hard anodizing.

Sorry @dhruvmeena96, CA is doing exactly the same thing as KZ in that regard.

Look at the bottom of a hard anodized cooking pan. You can beat the snot out of it for years on a stove, storing it with other cookware, tapping it against other pans, and having it come into contact with metal cooking utensils. It will look practically new. Hard anodizing actually changes the hardness of the aluminum at the surface.

Here's another way to tell. If you were to scrape off some of the anodized top color (red, blue, gold, etc) on a hard anodized part, the aluminum underneath wouldn't be silver. As a result of the heat-treating portion of the hard anodizing process, the aluminum changes from bright silver to a dark greyish black or sometimes a greyish bronze color.

I'd be willing to bet that no IEM manufacturer is hard anodizing their product, at any price. It's just overkill and there's just no reason to do it on an IEM.

If you guys want scratch-proof aluminum housings, a Titanium Nitride instead of anodizing coating would be the way to go (however, the colors of Titanium Nitride are much more limited). Otherwise, you could just make the housing out of ceramic (zirconia) like the Sennheiser ie800 or Rock Zircon.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #34,379 of 63,796

l6DNtoM_d.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand..................dollars?

Otherwise, you could just make the housing out of ceramic (zirconia) like the Sennheiser ie800 or Rock Zircon.

I've been beating this drum for a little while now.

In the meantime the ED15, ZS6 and ZSA are fine examples of well-made IEM housings at any price and I'd like to see KZ continue on this path of the "full metal jacket" (back to their roots).

Now:
HTB19FuWs9tYBeNjSspaq6yOOFXah.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

20170918170129_69720.jpg

61zN517WkdL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

Then:
61E5mnz72DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

10086761.jpg

10085565.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #34,380 of 63,796
@Otto Motor posted a nice review of the ED16 over in the Chinese / Asian thread.

Otto, we miss you here in this thread!

I can't wait to get my ED16s. It's on a "slow boat from China" ... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back