Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #33,346 of 63,899
I opened my ED9 right side backplate/grill (it is easy to remove and will go back easily and firmly)...

Speaking of this, I never shared this cool little cosmetic mod I did to my ED9 a couple of years ago.

When you pop off the back plate (which pops off easily using a sewing needle), you can flip it around and reinstall it backwards. It gives the ED9 a little more unique/personalized look compared to everyone else's ED9. It also looks more "open backed" (which is of course is only an optical illusion)

The mesh itself is sandwiched between 2 pieces of ultra-thin metal, so it has no danger of falling off when it's reinstalled in the backwards position. Both the mesh and the metal face plate is just as tight and secure in either position.

Before:
DSCN0092.JPG

After:
DSCN0091.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #33,347 of 63,899
Regarding the ZSR:

I bet if you increase the size of the eartip then the increased low impact will sully the sound. If you already wear large then try XL eartips.

https://www.amazon.com/Earphones-Pl...Replacement-Earphone/dp/B015UG6JHG?th=1&psc=1

Your post supports my firm position that it is NOT necessary - or safe for that matter - to crank up the volume past moderate levels for balanced armature IEMs (barring those with severe sensitivity issues). You rarely hear DD's described as clinical but BA's are repeatedly described as such. I interpret "clinical" as extremely precise (like a scalpel). BA's are quite adept at presenting absolutely everything at moderate volume levels so listening to hybrid IEMs or full-fledged BA IEMs at full blast is not only doing one's ears a disservice but also the "impressions" threads because such contributions paint an illegitimate portrait and subsequently skew an overall consensus.

Bottom line:

For BA's, moderate volume levels should be sufficient to hear everything from top to bottom with exceptional clarity.
Sort of true and false.

BA does tend to bare everything, due to its sensitivity to signal change and diaphragm too small.

But the path it passes through is a compressed plate, causing flat overtone creating impulse mismatch.

Impulse is main factor for any iem to sound nice.

Etymotic er4sr vs any dynamic driver earphone tuned neutral by ety standard

Dynamic will sound better and stage naturally compared to BA, just that BA will have more speed.

KZ zs6 doesn't do both job correctly.

Dynamic hit pressure is too high compared to zs5. Zs5 damped one driver with some nylon to reduce canal pressure on front end.

Second is, for god sake who puts two BA on parallel without damping and resistance and then shift harmonic to 10kHz.

Guys this is not detail, its harmonic of details. All sound starts from 100Hz and end at 1.8kHz

Something before and after these frequency are just harmonic( some say colouring).

After 1.8kHz is how instrument will sound like and in 1.8khz it is what is that instrument.

So boosted 10kHz is just artificial detail for non treble heads and is nightmare for normal people.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #33,349 of 63,899
Speaking of this, I never shared this cool little ED9 mod I did to mine a couple of years ago.

When you pop off the back plate (which pops off easily using a sewing needle), you can flip it around and reinstall it backwards. It gives the ED9 a little more unique/personalized look compared to everyone else's ED9. It also looks more "open backed" (which is of course is only an optical illusion)

The mesh itself is sandwiched between 2 pieces of ultra-thin metal, so it has no danger of falling off when it's reinstalled in the backwards position. Both the mesh and the metal face plate is just as tight and secure in either position.

Before:

After:

Cool!

Never thought of that.

It actually looks better, too.

Have you tried this with the black ED9 yet?

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #33,350 of 63,899
Cool!

Never thought of that.

It actually looks better, too.

Have you tried this with the black ED9 yet?

I don’t have a black ED9 yet. I only have 2 silver ones.

I do have a black one on the way though, as I wanted to check out the revised driver rumor. Once the black one arrives, I’ll test the mod out and report back. It should be here any day.

I have a feeling the back side of the cover on the black one won’t even be painted (or will be partially painted with overspray). They usually don’t paint surfaces you’ll never see. If you open the hood of 95% of cars and remove the heat insulation, you’ll see that the underside of the hood under the heat insulation isn’t even painted at all! Same thing under the carpet of your car. No one ever sees it, so they don’t bother painting it. What about the reverse side of the drywall in your house (ie the side facing the studs)? No one sees it, so why waste the paint?

The silver one is chrome plated; that’s why the back side of the cover has the same polished chrome surface as the front (electro plating covers everything due to being immersed in a chemical plating bath).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #33,351 of 63,899
Regarding the EDR1, I ordered a pair from the KZ "official" store on AE last night, didn't see any mention of them being discontinued.

They’re not discontinued. That rumor is false.

KZ is actively manufacturing them.

Sure, that could change down the road (and they truly could be discontinued in X years), but the same thing could be said about every IEM they make (ZS10, ZSR, ED16, blah blah).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #33,352 of 63,899
They’re not discontinued. That rumor is false.

KZ is actively manufacturing them.

Sure, that could change down the road (and they truly could be discontinued in X years), but the same thing could be said about every IEM they make (ZS10, ZSR, ED16, blah blah).
Actually they improved ED9 from driver side....

I have old and new model and they sound very different. Newer model is way cleaner

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #33,354 of 63,899
Actually they improved ED9 from driver side....

I have old and new model and they sound very different. Newer model is way cleaner

That’s why I ordered a new black one (reports of improved sound from a different driver).

Can you tell the difference

After I turned the grille backwards, everything I listen to on the ED9 plays in reverse!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #33,355 of 63,899
That's only specifically from the seller "BoMinH".

Gearbest is kind of like Amazon now - they are selling some things direct from their own inventory (like the old days of Gearbest), but they have allowed 3rd party sellers to come in and sell through Gearbest. Those 3rd party sellers may have different prices and different inventory levels than Gearbest.

KZ is actively producing it. You can buy loads of them on Aliexpress, ebay, Amazon, and loads of other ecommerce sites.
Thanks for the info. It better be good. I have 30 other pairs of budget headphones for it to beat. :wink:

Jun 11, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #33,356 of 63,899
Thanks for the info. It better be good. I have 30 other pairs of budget headphones for it to beat. :wink:

I don't know what 30 IEMs you have, but the EDR1 is not some giant killer that's going to beat everything under the sun. It is, however, the best IEM under $5 hands down (and I would also argue the best under $10 MSRP as well).

Its sound is crisp, fun, energetic, and v-shaped with a wide dynamic. It's build quality is tough as nails, and once you factor in the dirt cheap price it will seem downright unbelievable how you got such performance for such a low cost.

I don't like the stock tips (I use Auvio wide bores on 1 pair and Starlines on another). You can also improve sound slightly by swapping the stock red nozzle screens for stainless screens (or just running with no screens at all, as it's a $3 IEM and big whoop if something happens to it in a few years).

But it's not perfect. It has a few minor flaws, it's not neutral, not mid forward, not ideal for classical, and doesn't walk on water. It won't make coffee or increase your car's MPG. It's just a da*n good $5-$10 IEM, plain and simple. As long as people look at it within that context, they will be extremely happy with it.

It's the oldest IEM that KZ is still manufacturing to this day (2013-current), and according to KZ they've sold at least 1 million of them (which that sales figure is outdated by a few years). That says a lot right there.

You can now buy it as cheap as $2.60, which makes it a no-brainer IEM that should be in every ChiFi collection. $2.60 won't even buy you a Big Mac or decent pint of beer.

KZ summed up the EDR1 perfectly:

"This time, it is doomed from the headset off the suspect out of the field parameters missing."

Who can argue with such a bold statement?

kz chinglish.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #33,357 of 63,899
OK, I got this all squared away with the seller. They are EDR1. They sent me a photo of the new style white box (that clearly says EDR1). If you buy the 5 pack, they simply remove them from the white boxes and put them in 1 larger box.

I bought qty 10, and the seller even threw in one of the new KZ Pelican-style ABS storage boxes, as I've been wanting one of those for a while now (which is worth $6 if you factor in shipping)!

XMas stocking stuffers for $2.60 each? What a deal!

Thanks for turning me onto the deal - you made my day. I owe you a beer :beer:

Link to seller please....also I hope they would keep them in the white boxes. It would ruin the new item unboxing experience for me lol

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #33,358 of 63,899
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #33,359 of 63,899
Link to seller please....also I hope they would keep them in the white boxes. It would ruin the new item unboxing experience for me lol

Just search for KZ Global Store on Aliexpress, or look back a few pages for where the direct link was already posted. You can also use the HeadFi search function in the upper right corner.

As far as the boxing situation, that’s something you need to work out with the seller.

They told me for qty 1 they send the white box, and for the 3 or 5 qtys they put them all in 1 larger box. That’s not all that uncommon. It helps keep shipping costs down, eliminates wasteful packaging, and uses less fuel during transit which reduces the carbon footprint.

FYI, there’s no real unboxing “experience” with the small KZ packages lol. The EDR1/2 are in the same small white boxes as the KZ silver upgrade and Bluetooth cables. It’s a 2.5”X2.5” square box, and 1/2” thick. There’s barely room insude for the upgrade cables, much less a whole IEM. You tear a little zip strip, and your IEM is stuffed in a little baggie inside, then you throw away the baggie and box. That’s it. No Apple-esque unboxing experience, no clear plastic window to see the contents, no custom molded foam holder, fancy magnetic box flaps, velvet pull tabs, or gold foil embossing.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #33,360 of 63,899

Users who are viewing this thread

Back