Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #26,446 of 63,984
Just got the Zst upgrade cable for my Zs5

And as most suggested, I did cut off the plastic tab to get a nice fit..... But here's the thing, now there's a gap which bothers me

I wish I didn't buy them, cuz a week or so after buying these, the Zs5 compatible ones came out (go figures)

Now here's the question: Do I keep it as it is? Are there risks of the thing just breaking due to the gap and me losing my precious precious Zs5 v1 (which can't be replaced). Or am I all good? I am all ears if I can somehow patch things up

Hmmm, I have a number of ZS5 and ZS6 with the braided cable, and they are all totally flush once you cut off the plastic.

Are you sure you got all of the plastic? It’s easy to miss some, especially in the middle between the two pins. Since the plastic is clear, it can be difficult to see. All it would take is a tiny “tit” of plastic around the edge of the pins or in between them to prevent it from sitting flush.

I’ve found that an xacto hobby knife does the best job, because it’s sharp enough to easily cut between the pins to make sure you got everything.

I can post photos if you’re unsure of what I’m talking about.

P.S. - To anyone attempting this, be sure to permanently mark the plug somehow before trimming off the plastic. Otherwise, it’s impossible to know which direction the pins go (and you could easily end up out of phase).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #26,447 of 63,984
Foams do tame the sibilance and highs but they also slightly veil the rest of the sound.
ATM I still find that the zs5 v1 does everything a bit better.

Agreed. The sheer number of people that were desperately trying to obtain the last few ZS5 v1 as the v2 was being rolled out should say it all.

I wish KZ would revise the ZS6 (ie ZS6 v2) and put the BA drivers exactly like they had it in the ZS5 v1. They could easily do this, as the plastic insert in the ZS6 has the spot for the ultra high-frequency BA driver.

And as the person/people who physically removed the 2nd BA driver from the ZS5 v2 nozzle has said, the nozzle space opened up by the removal of 1xBA also allows more sound from the dynamic drivers through.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #26,448 of 63,984
@Slater thanks for the reply, I was quite scared of using any means of force on the Zs5, since I couldn't purchase the V1 incase it broke

I did bite the bullet and just applied as much force as it needed. It was a bit scary, but it did end up sitting flush

Now over all, these cables are so so much nicer Imo. I love how it tangles a lot less than the older cable, and no ugly green spots
20171220_222149.jpg
Not sure if it's placebo or not, but I feel like it sounds a bit louder or clearer with these cables. I'll hold of any rash conclusions, and use this for a week or so before I make any comments. All in all, it's a steal for the price
20171220_222811.jpg

(old cables are super green, it's more noticeable in real life)

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #26,449 of 63,984
Agreed. The sheer number of people that were desperately trying to obtain the last few ZS5 v1 as the v2 was being rolled out should say it all.

I wish KZ would revise the ZS6 (ie ZS6 v2) and put the BA drivers exactly like they had it in the ZS5 v1. They could easily do this, as the plastic insert in the ZS6 has the spot for the ultra high-frequency BA driver.

And as the person/people who physically removed the 2nd BA driver from the ZS5 v2 nozzle has said, the nozzle space opened up by the removal of 1xBA also allows more sound from the dynamic drivers through.[/QUOT

I will try putting one of the BA out of its misery.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #26,451 of 63,984
Just got the Zst upgrade cable for my Zs5

And as most suggested, I did cut off the plastic tab to get a nice fit..... But here's the thing, now there's a gap which bothers me

I wish I didn't buy them, cuz a week or so after buying these, the Zs5 compatible ones came out (go figures)

Now here's the question: Do I keep it as it is? Are there risks of the thing just breaking due to the gap and me losing my precious precious Zs5 v1 (which can't be replaced). Or am I all good? I am all ears if I can somehow patch things up

I can understand saving a buck and doing this mod but you can/could have just bought the Type "A" of the Tri-Braid cable that fits the ZS5 and 6's just like the original Tri-Braid fits the ZST's. All those Tri-Braid cables on my photo (last page) of ZS series are specifically for those iem's, my fat fingers could destroy a $9 cable in a second so I just bought new type "A" for my ZS5/6's:wink: However all my surgeries went well as far as removing the ear wires:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-P...32838766604.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RsoxsF

@Cruelhand Luke , drop me a pm and next week when I'm off I'll send you a foamy care package:beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #26,452 of 63,984
I can understand saving a buck and doing this mod but you can/could have just bought the Type "A" of the Tri-Braid cable that fits the ZS5 and 6's just like the original Tri-Braid fits the ZST's. All those Tri-Braid cables on my photo (last page) of ZS series are specifically for those iem's, my fat fingers could destroy a $9 cable in a second so I just bought new type "A" for my ZS5/6's:wink: However all my surgeries went well as far as removing the ear wires:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-P...32838766604.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RsoxsF

@Cruelhand Luke , drop me a pm and next week when I'm off I'll send you a foamy care package:beerchug:
Wow dude, I need foamies as well.... I'll pay for shipping!

But yea, I bought the cable like 1.5 months ago, there was no Type A back then as far as I know. I wasn't a fan of the original spc cable, and the Zst one looked much nicer, so when I found out ppl were using it, I jumped on it

Thankfully, it all worked out. But im still eyeing you're Foamies :cop:

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #26,453 of 63,984
Yeah, I missed that part in your first post (sorry). Long as you are still in phase and happy with the results stick with it, I was just thinking with how much you love your ZS5's I'd buy a type "A" cable. Not knowing the longevity of these cables yet and knowing cables do tend to be the first thing to crap out I might consider a backup cable:wink:

You might have a chat with Cruel and he may be willing to share in which case you would pm me too:beerchug:

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #26,454 of 63,984
I had pretty low expectations for the KZ bluetooth module going in, but it's pretty good! Connection is stable, it's got lots of driving power, and the battery life is acceptable. Detail takes a hit vs. wired use, but what you get is still more than acceptable. The delay when watching videos is weird, as they're in sync for the first minute or so, then it falls a second or so behind. Really odd.

But yeah, for music it's just fine.

20171220_101709.jpg

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #26,456 of 63,984
I had pretty low expectations for the KZ bluetooth module going in, but it's pretty good! Connection is stable, it's got lots of driving power, and the battery life is acceptable. Detail takes a hit vs. wired use, but what you get is still more than acceptable. The delay when watching videos is weird, as they're in sync for the first minute or so, then it falls a second or so behind. Really odd.

But yeah, for music it's just fine.

I got the bluetooth module for my ZS5, but haven't used it yet, because I found it quite a struggle to get the 2 pin connectors attached, so kinda hesitant to unplug my upgrade cable atm ha.
Has anybody used these KZ Bluetooth cables during sport/gym? How do they cope with sweat?

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #26,457 of 63,984
Shipping foamies from Middle Earth can't be cheap though, because the Hobbit Express takes a while.

We can use the invisible cloak method, the nice thing about foamies is you can send them via letter:grin:

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #26,458 of 63,984
I'd like some opinions...what genre of music are ZS5 V2 owners partial to for theirs?
here's why I ask: I got ZS5 thinking they would be my IEM to fill the role of my Fidelios ....but, I like my ES3 for that and the ZS5s I am REALLY liking for hip hop.
Dp y'all have a favorite genre for the ZS5? For me, ZS5+Fiio A3 bass boost, then EQ the treble down a bit and I like them for hip hop the same way I like the Akai 50X.

I like listening to Progressive or Symphonic Metal:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #26,459 of 63,984
I like listening to Progressive or Symphonic Metal:

I had never heard of Lunatica before. Thanks for the video!
I prefer the DT track on my ZS3s followed by ZS6, then ZS5 v1 with tape mod.
Lunatica track- ZS6, ZS3 then ZS5 in order of preference.
Not quite the order I had expected, but it is what it is at this moment. Next week it may be different, due to the effects of brain burn-in and/or the bad cold I'm finally getting over.
Little discoveries are what make the pursuit of audio so much fun. Big discoveries too, but those don't happen as often...

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #26,460 of 63,984
Just got my new "silver" cable in from Gearbest:
20171220_100426c.jpg

https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_712517.html

This is the link I used, don't know if you'll get the old silver cable or the one I got, either is an okay deal at $5.99
Pleasantly surprised that I have the more deluxe grey/black cable with the heavier-duty braided main cable.

I added the collar clip and velcro chin slider...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back