Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 8, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #23,056 of 63,998
Yea I was using voice dictation and that’s the way my iPhone spelled it. Lol

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a new term to me. We can make it a new term for having similar sound profiles. Or not.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #23,057 of 63,998
I’m listening to the zs6 on my dx200 right now. They are very clear and detailed. But I’m starting to grab just a little bit of semblance. It’s not much but is noticeable.
I've got three questions questions though.
1)Does the bass have good thump and rumble?
2)How are the mids and vocals? Are they recessed, forward or natural?
3)what is the maximum amount you would you be willing to pay for an iem like the zs6?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #23,058 of 63,998
3)what is the maximum amount you would you be willing to pay for an iem like the zs6?
Let's hear from all the ZS6 owners. {good questions} :call_me: :call_me:

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #23,059 of 63,998

Speaking as a Zs6 owner

1.) Yes, but it is not a boosted bass. The Zs6 has plenty of slam but it is masterfully disguised as a well controlled bass.
2.) Mids are definitely not the focus of the Zs6 and do take a little bit of a backseat to the treble. I know, odd as we usually talk about mids yielding to bass. This is not to say mids are bad and they are not pronouncedly recessed. Vocals are good if female vocals can be a touch strident due to the treble forward nature of the Zs6.
3.) I think the Zs6 fits extremely well at the price point it is in ($50 US). I think when you get to the $100 mark there are better choices and part of the appeal of the Zs6 is that it is $100s worth of sound and quality for $50. At the $100 mark the new Fiio 9 or the Magosi are better to my ear.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #23,060 of 63,998
As a comparison, the Zs6 is a bit like the Fostex T50rp of the IEM world. It has a very strong base but isn't a perfect product. For those willing to play with modding, they both represent a starting point that can create something that sounds way better than the price if you are willing to do the work. On the other hand, I've never heard anyone say that the modified T50rp is better than an LCD-4 and nor will a Zs6 ever dethrone something like the Noble Katana. The fun of the Zs6 is that a $50 entry fee can get you into a $100 to $150 show.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #23,061 of 63,998
As a comparison, the Zs6 is a bit like the Fostex T50rp of the IEM world. It has a very strong base but isn't a perfect product. For those willing to play with modding, they both represent a starting point that can create something that sounds way better than the price if you are willing to do the work. On the other hand, I've never heard anyone say that the modified T50rp is better than an LCD-4 and nor will a Zs6 ever dethrone something like the Noble Katana. The fun of the Zs6 is that a $50 entry fee can get you into a $100 to $150 show.
Love the entry fee analogy :D

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #23,062 of 63,998
Yep. It's strong but (most of the time) not bloated and will probably not be enough to satisfy die-hard bassheads although it is clearly boosted.

Not really recessed but they aren't in your face either. Upper mids are on the brighter, airier side, however without coming close to being overly thin or unnatural. Here, I see the biggest tuning improvement over the ZS5 v1 that rather often appeared a bit too hollow and distant in the mids for music with a more serious vocal focus.

Between $420 and $1,099.00 MSRP if a better cable, slightly adjusted visual design and different drivers were used, along with a cool little pin badge.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #23,063 of 63,998

Wiljen pretty much hit it on the head. I’m definitely cool with paying what I did for them.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #23,064 of 63,998
Speaking as a Zs6 owner

1.) Yes, but it is not a boosted bass. The Zs6 has plenty of slam but it is masterfully disguised as a well controlled bass.
2.) Mids are definitely not the focus of the Zs6 and do take a little bit of a backseat to the treble. I know, odd as we usually talk about mids yielding to bass. This is not to say mids are bad and they are not pronouncedly recessed. Vocals are good if female vocals can be a touch strident due to the treble forward nature of the Zs6.
3.) I think the Zs6 fits extremely well at the price point it is in ($50 US). I think when you get to the $100 mark there are better choices and part of the appeal of the Zs6 is that it is $100s worth of sound and quality for $50. At the $100 mark the new Fiio 9 or the Magosi are better to my ear.
I didn't know you owned the f9s. I was looking into the fiio f9s too but couldn't find anyone who listened to both the zs6 and f9. How do they compare in terms of bass, mids, highs and soundstage? I hear f9s have a boost in the 7khz region that makes it a bit fatiguing.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #23,065 of 63,998
I didn't know you owned the f9s. I was looking into the fiio f9s too but couldn't find anyone who listened to both the zs6 and f9. How do they compare in terms of bass, mids, highs and soundstage? I hear f9s have a boost in the 7khz region that makes it a bit fatiguing.

I wouldn’t say

I wouldn’t say fatiguing but they are bright. Very clear and detailed. I must say they are probably my favorite iem I own right now. I enjoy them more than my IT03 by a wide margin. The F9’s I’m talking about.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #23,066 of 63,998
Between $420 and $1,099.00 MSRP if a better cable, slightly adjusted visual design and different drivers were used, along with a cool little pin badge.
I would be willing to pay 100k for a toyota corolla if they 'upgraded' it to a lamborghini huracan engine, body, seats, dash, drivetrain, transmission and also a huracan logo..

Jokes aside. How much would you actually be willing to pay for a stock zs6 assuming you didn't know the retail price.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #23,067 of 63,998
I wouldn’t say

I wouldn’t say fatiguing but they are bright. Very clear and detailed. I must say they are probably my favorite iem I own right now. I enjoy them more than my IT03 by a wide margin. The F9’s I’m talking about.
Glad they sound so good. I will order them after I get hold of some cash.

I find it odd that all bright iems sound 'detailed' and 'clear'. Is it actual detail that we hear or are our brain tricked into thinking that the sound is detailed when there is a boost in certain parts of the higher frequencies. The feeling of hearing more details than we actually would in a live performance isn't good right?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #23,068 of 63,998

Both the F9 and the Zs6 share a hotter than normal treble and both need a bit of EQ or foams to help cut that. Once that is done the Fiio has a bit better upper mids and a better soundstage than the Zs6. Bass is probably a wash between the two as both are very good. Without tuning, both can be a bit sibilant with female vocals. The other big win for the F9 is the fit. Fiio nailed the ergonomics where as the Zs6 will be too big for some and not comfortable for others.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #23,069 of 63,998
Yep. It's strong but (most of the time) not bloated and will probably not be enough to satisfy die-hard bassheads although it is clearly boosted.

Not really recessed but they aren't in your face either. Upper mids are on the brighter, airier side, however without coming close to being overly thin or unnatural. Here, I see the biggest tuning improvement over the ZS5 v1 that rather often appeared a bit too hollow and distant in the mids for music with a more serious vocal focus.

That's pretty high pesos, 420 huh?

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #23,070 of 63,998
The Magosi K3 HD is the one to look into if you want something with a more refined treble. The K3 HD has better mids and treble than either the F9 or the Zs6 at the expense of the bass being less present and slightly less extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back