Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #22,321 of 64,126
Just received my ZS5, I am 99.99% it's the V2 version but I will try to get a photo of it as well.
Treble NUKES.

Cymbals can make a hole through your brain.

Oh well, equalizing all the way.
Other than that impressive soundstage and you can say it's ""detailed"", it's only natural when you amp up the highs so much.
Is this the gray one without mic from GB?

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #22,322 of 64,126
KZ Zs6 is heavier than Zs5....Right ? Is it painful for long listening session due to its weight? Also is there any real upgrade from Zs5 to Zs6 Sonically?

ZS6 is indeed heavier however not really noticeable (well, I don't really have issues with my Audeze LCD-X's weight though, so individual people's mileage may vary - nonetheless I highly doubt that anyone will have issues with the ZS6's weight.). The metal shells feel a lot more premium though and are quite excellent when it comes to build quality.
Although the shape seems to be similar, the ZS6's shells feel a bit "sharper" and edgier in one's ears (not that its corners are any sharper than the ZS5's, but the shape is just more noticeable to me).

Cannot comment about the "new" ZS5, but have the "old" one on hand. ZS6's upper treble spike aside, its midrange linearity has somewhat improved (as you can also see on the comparative FR measurement). Bass seems a tad tighter and a bit more defined (quantity is the same). Not a large difference at all though, which also goes for the midrange that seems to resolve just slightly better.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #22,323 of 64,126
This thread is about the best at using freq measurement plots. I wondered with certain things being talked about often, if
these things should be done.
Take the freq plot while there is a bass track playing through the earphone.
This way you might see the bass bleed issue.
For mids and highs of multidriver earphones, plot the phase response to see if the coherence is right.
Just wondering.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #22,324 of 64,126
Good point and why I said one needs to be sure before buying these new cables. KZ has always been specific to what non stock cables work with which iem! I bought this current cable because it was to work with the ZST which it does perfectly, this is why I was curious to the plug angle being changed on the new ZS5/6 cables because my old ones bent on the ZST's and straight as well as the ZS3/ZS5 originals. I will say you may be onto something with the .78 thing as my ZS3 cables never fit my iem's from the get go, I had to bend the pins out and use super glue to get mine to stay in! Same thing when I ordered the ZS3 silver plated's which did the same thing:rolling_eyes: Really pissed me off because the ZS3 is not a bad iem and the shell shape is probably the sexiest KZ has made to date.

I love the shell shape. Last time I was on a plane, I tried Piston 3s for about 30 seconds but they sounded tinny and let in loads of noise. After quickly swapping to the ZS3 I was in heaven: no jet noise, that lovely comfortable feel and I think the bass emphasis was just right for the environment.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #22,325 of 64,126
I received my ZS6 yesterday. Take the following with a pinch of salt though, explained later.

Using http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php I've checked the treble response and to my ears I didn't notice the spike. Also in just general listening my experience is that the treble matches fairly well with the mids and bass, with the bass seeming tighter than ZS5 v1. Mine were also in phase.

There is certainly more treble than I'd personally like but that is my preference as I'm a nightclub sound engineer so as you can imagine I tend to tune systems to get a great sub-bass sound then match the mids and tops to that (favourite systems by the way are Void ones).

Additionally I'm well aware that the upper end of my hearing is starting to go (I can't hear above 18k currently) so I have no idea whether this has affected my ability to hear the reported 10k spike, but for me it wasn't there. Maybe I got lucky or maybe my hearing is off

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #22,326 of 64,126
I'm just tested his new ZS3/ZS5 silver plated cable on my ZS3 and guess what............................they don't fit, pins are too fat to go in:scream: Now like I said AliEx has sellers saying this .75 cable fits into ZS3/ZS5 and 6:rolling_eyes: All I know is I either got a faulty pair of ZS3 with a different pin size or all these sellers on AliEx are saying both ZS3, ZST and ZS5/6 are .75!

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #22,327 of 64,126
I should have my ZS6 soon. I'm not treble sensitive at all, and as a matter of fact prefer a bright shiny signature, so I'll be able to help shed some light on this "treble nuke" situation. At least as it pertains to people like me.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #22,328 of 64,126
I received my ZS6 yesterday. Take the following with a pinch of salt though, explained later.

Using http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php I've checked the treble response and to my ears I didn't notice the spike. Also in just general listening my experience is that the treble matches fairly well with the mids and bass, with the bass seeming tighter than ZS5 v1. Mine were also in phase.

There is certainly more treble than I'd personally like but that is my preference as I'm a nightclub sound engineer so as you can imagine I tend to tune systems to get a great sub-bass sound then match the mids and tops to that (favourite systems by the way are Void ones).

Additionally I'm well aware that the upper end of my hearing is starting to go (I can't hear above 18k currently) so I have no idea whether this has affected my ability to hear the reported 10k spike, but for me it wasn't there. Maybe I got lucky or maybe my hearing is off

It can't be your ears. There must be some difference between the first batch and what they shipped now... or at least i hope it' like that :fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #22,329 of 64,126
Hmm ... now i'm starting to think if the treble issue is the batch with QC issue someone mentioned back then ... if it is really the QC issue, then there's still hope for others.

Anyway i still find myself enjoying it after the mod and so far it's been with me in my ear for so long that i don't wanna take it out. Bass and midrange is just so nice without the treble spike bothering me anymore.

Just to give an idea of how tiny the little foam would be.

20170928_143050.jpg

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #22,330 of 64,126
I'm just tested his new ZS3/ZS5 silver plated cable on my ZS3 and guess what............................they don't fit, pins are too fat to go in:scream: Now like I said AliEx has sellers saying this .75 cable fits into ZS3/ZS5 and 6:rolling_eyes: All I know is I either got a faulty pair of ZS3 with a different pin size or all these sellers on AliEx are saying both ZS3, ZST and ZS5/6 are .75!

Early ZS3 did not use the same connector size that the current ZS3/ZS5/ZS6 use. Maybe that's the issue.

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #22,332 of 64,126

Early ZS3 did not use the same connector size that the current ZS3/ZS5/ZS6 use. Maybe that's the issue.
Does anyone know for sure what the current pin sizes for ZST, ZS3 and ZS5 should be?
wastan has the right of it. First run ZS3s (the original run that had units with crushed sound tubes) used 0.78mm pins on the connector.
To the best of my knowledge, all subsequent ZS3/ZS5 style connectors use 0.75mm pins

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #22,334 of 64,126
And ZST right?
ZST is a different connection housing that I have less personal experience with, but my understanding is they should all be 0.75mm too yeah.

Also I think a batch from the first run ZS3s may have recently turned up from a bunch of less than reputable sources, I got one like last month when I couldn't help but order a ZS3 for $5... yeah, got about what I expected.

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #22,335 of 64,126
ZST is a different connection housing that I have less personal experience with, but my understanding is they should all be 0.75mm too yeah.

Also I think a batch from the first run ZS3s may have recently turned up from a bunch of less than reputable sources, I got one like last month when I couldn't help but order a ZS3 for $5... yeah, got about what I expected.
Did you order from gb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back