Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #22,307 of 64,122
Not without modifications no, the Zs6 is not an upgrade. If it didn't have the 10kHz spike I would say it has tighter bass and a bit larger soundstage than the Zs5 so in some ways it is an upgrade, but the spike makes it very fatiguing after about 15-20 minutes of listening. I am working on damping or filtering one of the BAs to see if I can bring that down. If we can find a good repeatable procedure for reducing that spike, then I think they are worth having, right now they are an experiment.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #22,308 of 64,122
Not without modifications no, the Zs6 is not an upgrade. If it didn't have the 10kHz spike I would say it has tighter bass and a bit larger soundstage than the Zs5 so in some ways it is an upgrade, but the spike makes it very fatiguing after about 15-20 minutes of listening. I am working on damping or filtering one of the BAs to see if I can bring that down. If we can find a good repeatable procedure for reducing that spike, then I think they are worth having, right now they are an experiment.
Measurement is important to confirm the mod

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #22,310 of 64,122

Agreed, thus the use of the word repeatable - not sure how else you would know if the mod is repeatable without having a way to measure it.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #22,311 of 64,122
More than "confirm", measurement can be helpful for understand witch of the two BA produce that peak and if damping that one have some effect on other frequency.
Driver's division and BA's position could make that easy, so i'm convinced that, even if i'm a treble-sensitive guy, we can do it and obtain what we was hoping, even if the need for a mod is disappointing.

I just ordered the ZS6 from Aliexpress. I read that the original cable is not very good so what cable would you recommend for them?
The newer is this one. It seem oxigen free.

Some other upgrade cables

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #22,312 of 64,122
More than "confirm", measurement can be helpful for understand witch of the two BA produce that peak and if damping that one have some effect on other frequency.
Driver's division and BA's position could make that easy, so i'm convinced that, even if i'm a treble-sensitive guy, we can do it and obtain what we was hoping, even if the need for a mod is disappointing.

The newer is this one. It seem oxigen free.

Some other upgrade cables

Another way is get a pure copper cable . It should add some warmth , hopefully enough

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #22,315 of 64,122
Got my ZS6 today from Gearbest. Personally, I think they sound as good or better as than my ZS5. I find no harshness at all.

The included cable is pretty sad looking / feeling. Have them at home on a whiplash audio cable.

rwpvSeg.jpg

Nice Whiplash, also glad to hear about the non treble attack as we may have similar hearing:beerchug:

@Superluc the new ZS5/6 cables in the gold looking wire now have an angled plug at the shell as opposed to the old ZS3/ZS5 cable which was straight? With so many models now and different versions one must be careful when picking these new cables!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #22,317 of 64,122
This one is said to be for ZST, but other head-fi users use it also on the ZS5.

That's the one I'm using on my ZST Carbon's, going to order a few more now for my Colorfuls and ZS5/6's:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Best ZS5 Cable.JPG

Who I ordered my last one from is out but NiceHCK has them in at $8.99

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #22,319 of 64,122
Just received and tried the zst.......wow
Impressive

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #22,320 of 64,122
I really like the look of those cables but don't the ZS3 and ZS5 have 0.78mm connectors or am I confused?

Good point and why I said one needs to be sure before buying these new cables. KZ has always been specific to what non stock cables work with which iem! I bought this current cable because it was to work with the ZST which it does perfectly, this is why I was curious to the plug angle being changed on the new ZS5/6 cables because my old ones bent on the ZST's and straight as well as the ZS3/ZS5 originals. I will say you may be onto something with the .78 thing as my ZS3 cables never fit my iem's from the get go, I had to bend the pins out and use super glue to get mine to stay in! Same thing when I ordered the ZS3 silver plated's which did the same thing:rolling_eyes: Really pissed me off because the ZS3 is not a bad iem and the shell shape is probably the sexiest KZ has made to date.

Pair of Threes.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back