Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #21,856 of 63,976
Hi fellow Head-fiers,

This is my very first post here, but I am lurking in the KZ thread for more than a year hence I have collected some of the chi-fi iems like ATE, ZN1 mini, ED9, ED3c Acme, EDR1 & 2 and reviews of the ZS5 convinced me to get them from GB. It has been a while since I have ordered them, so I got v.1 with 1BA in the nozzle.

After +100 hours of the listening to the ZS5 (just a little burn-in, but I am not a true believer if u know what I mean) I have started to notify that it produces some kind of bloated bass without force of bass drum and also recessed mids with unnatural (maybe holographic is the right word) vocals. So a started to think that I have to give them away. The decision was made after one night - I am going to open it (grills, backs everything…). The one BA in the nozzle was closer to the grill on the left side than on the another side. No big deal since it wasn’t in contact with the grill. Anyway… I opened up backs and removed the inside tape (which preventing a socket contact with a smaller DD) mainly because it prevents driver from proper “breathe” in my case. Then I desoldered wires from the socket and soldered it back with use of heat shrink tubing. Inspirited by the ZS6 back vents I drilled backs from the ZS5 and used 3M car foil from the drawer on the flat area of the backs. Then glued tuning foam from VE Monks+ to inside of the backs and voilà ZS5 v1 modded.

Hearing test & some thoughts…

Mids are no longer recessed with more natural female vocals and also bass really kicks in with a precise of a hammer. The bass is definitely not overwhelming and bloated as before. The DDs needed to breathe properly, but unfortunately the shell was almost sealed off in the original design. Long story short the modded ZS5 v.1 produces nice open sound with better mids and more precise bass with higher dynamics as it supposed to.

Btw. In my modest opinion the mod itself can almost vanish the potential sound differences between ZS5 and ZS6. Metal shell could change sound purity but who knows… Time and reviews will tell… Cheers :ksc75smile:

0kjb6U9.jpg

3Vge1Zu.jpg

ym0LpLl.jpg

QUmNUfe.jpg

vC8adiT.jpg

Edit: links

Wow! Great work!

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #21,857 of 63,976
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #21,858 of 63,976
Maybe he can mod the 6 to block the holes?

And also move 1 of the BAs from the nozzle into the body next to the DD drivers haha

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #21,862 of 63,976
Hi fellow Head-fiers,

This is my very first post here, but I am lurking in the KZ thread for more than a year hence I have collected some of the chi-fi iems like ATE, ZN1 mini, ED9, ED3c Acme, EDR1 & 2 and reviews of the ZS5 convinced me to get them from GB. It has been a while since I have ordered them, so I got v.1 with 1BA in the nozzle.

After +100 hours of the listening to the ZS5 (just a little burn-in, but I am not a true believer if u know what I mean) I have started to notify that it produces some kind of bloated bass without force of bass drum and also recessed mids with unnatural (maybe holographic is the right word) vocals. So a started to think that I have to give them away. The decision was made after one night - I am going to open it (grills, backs everything…). The one BA in the nozzle was closer to the grill on the left side than on the another side. No big deal since it wasn’t in contact with the grill. Anyway… I opened up backs and removed the inside tape (which preventing a socket contact with a smaller DD) mainly because it prevents driver from proper “breathe” in my case. Then I desoldered wires from the socket and soldered it back with use of heat shrink tubing. Inspirited by the ZS6 back vents I drilled backs from the ZS5 and used 3M car foil from the drawer on the flat area of the backs. Then glued tuning foam from VE Monks+ to inside of the backs and voilà ZS5 v1 modded.

Mids are no longer recessed with more natural female vocals and also bass really kicks in with a precise of a hammer. The bass is definitely not overwhelming and bloated as before. The DDs needed to breathe properly, but unfortunately the shell was almost sealed off in the original design. Long story short the modded ZS5 v.1 produces nice open sound with better mids and more precise bass with higher dynamics as it supposed to.

Btw. In my modest opinion the mod itself can almost vanish the potential sound differences between ZS5 and ZS6. Metal shell could change sound purity but who knows… Time and reviews will tell… Cheers :ksc75smile:

0kjb6U9.jpg

3Vge1Zu.jpg

ym0LpLl.jpg

QUmNUfe.jpg

vC8adiT.jpg

Very impressed! You have good skills.

When my ZS6 arrive and if I'm not happy with it, I'll mod ZS5 as you did.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #21,863 of 63,976
Very impressed! You have good skills.

When my ZS6 arrive and if I'm not happy with it, I'll mod ZS5 as you did.
Yay! In for comparo. :call_me:

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #21,864 of 63,976
Hi fellow Head-fiers,

0kjb6U9.jpg

3Vge1Zu.jpg

ym0LpLl.jpg

QUmNUfe.jpg

vC8adiT.jpg

Nice work. One question: Were all of the drivers hooked up and working? There has been a lot of controversy over this, and it looks like you disassembled things clean enough to be able to see it....

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #21,865 of 63,976
I've testet a few my zs5, sound is good but there are really uncomfortable, any tip of three fits or hold it, it's too big and heavy it moves affecting noise quality so if tips does not fit bass dissapears...I hope I can find a solution if not it will never replace my Xiaomi Hybrid....

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #21,866 of 63,976
I have pair of kz zs6, Im a bit late to the KZ party. After buying a pair of zs5 that had a problem with a rattling driver in the left piece I asked to have them changed for the zs6. I'm liking them so far, I can say that they are pretty well balanced only if the fitting is tight, if its a bit loose the mid lows just go away and they become the famous "highs cannon" people talk about. Any questions about them?

What about comfort ? They are heavy ? From some pictures the shell seem a bit more thin than the ZS5's one, but may be the perspective.

Any harshness in the sound ? Aside high presence, do you feel some sibilance ?

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #21,867 of 63,976
What about comfort ? They are heavy ? From some pictures the shell seem a bit more thin than the ZS5's one, but may be the perspective.

Any harshness in the sound ? Aside high presence, do you feel some sibilance ?

All good questions :call_me:

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #21,869 of 63,976
nah all kzs drops in price pretty quick and stay there.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #21,870 of 63,976
I've testet a few my zs5, sound is good but there are really uncomfortable, any tip of three fits or hold it, it's too big and heavy it moves affecting noise quality so if tips does not fit bass dissapears...I hope I can find a solution if not it will never replace my Xiaomi Hybrid....

Just do this and be happy. :)

WP_20170920_23_25_11_Pro.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back