Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #21,826 of 63,986
Just picked up my KZ Ate from the post office and man - they sound AWFUL! No bass or mids whatsoever, only some very sharp highs.

Tried them on my iPhone 6s where my Rock Zircon and Einsear T2 perform wonderfully!

Is there some easy newbie-mistakes I might be making with these? The fit snugly and everything :frowning2:

That does sound right at all, can you try them on any other source. Mine have great bass mids and highs

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #21,827 of 63,986
I don't know what to expect because I'm getting the ZS6 (not ZS5).

KZ ZS6 10 hrs run-in impression (user from HK)
1. Cable fits well with the earphone, unlike KZ ZS5
2. Wider soundstage
3. 15 ohms, easier to drive
4. Bass: deep
5. Mid: no more laid back
6. Treble: Not sweet, but not cold or itchy, sounds natural
7. A little bit lost of control, congested when there are many instruments

I play the music with lg v20 (ESS ES9218 DAC) in volume:40/75.

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #21,832 of 63,986
I have received my kzs5 today I understand that cable should have polarity , which is the correct position to fit the cable??
You could also see the right position from the connector itself

kz_zs5_grey_1503240753_1763a02e.jpg

As you can see, one side is rounded.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #21,834 of 63,986
So trying the ZS3s for a bit today, checking out the new Midlake - Trials... 10th anniversary on Tidal. They sound really really nice. A bit of a fine line with the treble, but it's more bite than anything... Not sweet, but not wince inducing.

Next up, Camille - Sous le Sable. The sub bass is much more present than with the DZAT but it's still less intense than the ZST. I prefer this. In fact this is definitely a more competente all rounder than the ZST I think. I need to do a direct comparison.

Anyway, these are nice. Enjoying them.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #21,835 of 63,986
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #21,836 of 63,986
If you have a multimeter, would suggest checking if there is a continuity in the circuit between the 2 pins when you unplug the cable. Then check the continuity of the cable you're using for continuity.

If its the latter, and the continuity for the earphone is fine, then its probably just a simple cable damage issue, you can get a replacement for them quite easily.

If its the earphone not responding to continuity check, then its really if there is a warranty claim left for them though.
thanks , i think is the insert of the pins, because i tried the stock cable and the silver cable but however the left side doesn't work .

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #21,837 of 63,986
What don't you like about the ED9?

I explained it hundreds of pages ago in this thread, but it's just easier to give you the short story:

- I only used the short filters because the long ones stick out of my ear uncomfortably
- I find that the treble is very boosted and sibilant. It's especially bad with Mac Demarco's guitars
- The bass is fun, but also very boomy. It's fatiguing on deep house music
- The mids are weird. Vocals sound thin. Music sounds thin
- Soundstage is really good, but that's due to the boosted treble

The general impression is of an overly bright earphone that sounds thin and has boomy bass. It is the most fatiguing listening experience ever.

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #21,838 of 63,986
Just picked up my KZ Ate from the post office and man - they sound AWFUL! No bass or mids whatsoever, only some very sharp highs.

Tried them on my iPhone 6s where my Rock Zircon and Einsear T2 perform wonderfully!

Is there some easy newbie-mistakes I might be making with these? The fit snugly and everything :frowning2:

I had a pair like that and it was full of rust (see pics). Must have been a leak at the factory or something.

ATE should NOT sound like that.

ATE-S_2.jpg ATE-S_1.jpg

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #21,839 of 63,986
I explained it hundreds of pages ago in this thread, but it's just easier to give you the short story:

- I only used the short filters because the long ones stick out of my ear uncomfortably
- I find that the treble is very boosted and sibilant. It's especially bad with Mac Demarco's guitars
- The bass is fun, but also very boomy. It's fatiguing on deep house music
- The mids are weird. Vocals sound thin. Music sounds thin
- Soundstage is really good, but that's due to the boosted treble

The general impression is of an overly bright earphone that sounds thin and has boomy bass. It is the most fatiguing listening experience ever.

I see. It is definitely bright with the dull brass filter. I don't like the sound at all with the brass filter. The gold filter sounds better, but I modded mine and am very happy with it.

You're right about them being really long too. The heaviness of the body doesn't help the stay in the ears either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back