Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #19,621 of 64,379
You'll be fine to order from GearBest. I got mine using that link and they are just fine. They just happen to have deals for ZS5s quite often (I got the grey ones as well). I made a post about my experience with Gearbest and the ZS5s HERE.

Thanks. I'll get from Gearbest then.

Do you have a piece of tape and an old stuffed animal? That's all you need to mod them.

Well, now as I'm going to get the ZS5, is there any mod to make it better? :D

Gearbest often have flash sales. I don't think the chance of defect is higher no matter from which you order.

Save your $2 and get grey. They sound the same.

I got the gray ones...and now wish I'd gotten the blue. The gray ones in person look sort of ugly.

I think after reading these posts (including the one above when he got both of them) I'll get the blue instead. It's only 2$ more anyway :wink:

But tbh from the pictures I like the grey better.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #19,622 of 64,379
And somebody please suggest better silicone/foam tips that aren't Comply ? I remember the ones that came the ED9 I didn't like at all.It had some vacuum effect with it which made wearing them very uncomfortable (maybe this is where they cut costs). I really liked those came with my Sony XB75AP.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #19,623 of 64,379
Could you please tell how you burn in your buds? Also are these better than ATE?
I burn them in on a "loop", playing different types of music day and night "non-stop" -first 20 hours at low volume, 21 to 50 hours at moderate volume, 51 to 100 (plus) hours from moderate to moderately high volume. Others probably use pink or white noise burning technic. At times, I will burn them in while riding to work, or burn them in at work, as well.

Now about comparisons with the ATE: I would say that the ZSE edges them for the realistic bass punch it provides, plus the overall resolution. Coherecy is great on the ATE's upper-range (with the right ear tips), but the ZSE covers a broader range on imaging and hi-end details that can definitely bring out the best of your favorite song(s).

-Clear

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #19,624 of 64,379
I didn't mean to imply there should be any actual difference between colors - just that one of my gray ones happened to be (mildly) defective.

I will add that I ordered the gray ones first because I liked the way they looked in the pictures more. In person I feel like the gray ones always look a bit dirty, whereas the blue ones look much brighter and cleaner - and this was an immediate impression upon opening the box, long before I could form an opinion based on how they actually sounded.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #19,626 of 64,379
I didn't mean to imply there should be any actual difference between colors - just that one of my gray ones happened to be (mildly) defective.

I will add that I ordered the gray ones first because I liked the way they looked in the pictures more. In person I feel like the gray ones always look a bit dirty, whereas the blue ones look much brighter and cleaner - and this was an immediate impression upon opening the box, long before I could form an opinion based on how they actually sounded.

I want to reduce the chance of receiving a defect at all costs. Also blue is the better looking one as per you and a few others. So it's worth the 2$ I hope.

BTW, the lowest price is on Banggood at 23$ for the blue version with mic. Where do you suggest I buy it? Gearbest or Banggood? Please help.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #19,627 of 64,379
Gearbest is the cheapest place for kz from my experience. Been buying from them over the past 2 years with no problem.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #19,629 of 64,379
Hello. I have question to people, who familiar with both zst and zs5.
I dont like punchy bass and harsh treble.
So, i need to choose most neutral\balanced one.
Is there noticeable difference between them?
sorry for my english.

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #19,632 of 64,379
Wouldn't really expect QC to be better or worse by color... though I admit reality is not required to be logical.

Anyhow, from lurking around here I've seen a lot more good said about Gearbest customer service - but they have a rep that hangs out here, so that's not entirely unexpected?
Still if you're worried about QC they certainly seem to have a better reputation for good service around here at least.

I opted to save about $2 each and got both of mine from Banggood (slightly cheaper after shipping etc) - the jury is still out on whether that was the best choice or not (haven't heard back yet about my grey pair) but they arrived within the advertised shipping times and for the most part they work. Can't really ask much more of something shipped dirt cheap direct from China?

Also I simply described my experience which make the problem sound rather annoying and quite prominent but I should probably add that my rather extreme high frequency sensitivity is pretty atypical. I frequently hear noise coming from devices that anyone I've ever met would describe as entirely silent, and back in college I recall having to step out of labs at times due people playing around with high frequency sounds that were either entirely inaudible or of obnoxious but not particularly uncomfortable volumes depending on who you asked - but to me they sounded like the wail of a banshee and left my ears ringing like a close proximity gunshot.

I'm trying to make this point without sounding like "my hearing is better than yours" but I feel like doing a pretty poor job of it (and honestly it's a curse not a blessing to have that much apparent gain across a narrow high frequency band). Anyhow I would imagine that what I've described as quite uncomfortable would be described by most people as "a bit too bright" or similar.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #19,633 of 64,379
The good part about the ZSE is that I got "two pairs" now and there's no sign of "QC" issues so far....fingers crossed! :fingers_crossed:

....I really like the KZ brand, but they are too quick putting out their products before doing a thorough "quality control" after each launch.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #19,634 of 64,379
I think after reading these posts (including the one above when he got both of them) I'll get the blue instead. It's only 2$ more anyway :wink:

But tbh from the pictures I like the grey better.

in real life, the gray ones look like part of a car engine....like a carburetor part. Not sexy at all.

Now, my Rock Zircons...they are sexy.
810RvK9G80L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back