Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #18,601 of 64,130
Right, can someone with technical knowledge explain what's happening with my ZS5s with my S8????

I've received my second pair today and they do not work on my S8 with the stock mic cable. They work out of my xduoo X3 just fine and like my first pair work with my old ZS3 stock mic cable on the S8.

The phone recognises they are plugged in and the remote buttons work, but zero sound.

All my other iems work perfectly with the S8 so no issue with the phone, and as I said they work fine on the S8 with the older ZS3 cable.

I had exactly the same problem with my first pair and the silver cable.

If you havn't yet try a free app called "soundabout". It can help designate audio outs with phones. I had that problem with my M8 and Soundabout fixed it.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #18,602 of 64,130
17062814086d57dafae8aecb04.jpg
I've got no clue as to what is going on here. I see Campfire Orion, bottom piece of Campfire Nova, black painted ZS5 with red bore??, something broken, KZ stock cable, random driver... If you are reshelling ZS5, would you share the details about the amount of glue inside, where to get original Campfire Andromeda style shell etc.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #18,603 of 64,130
If you havn't yet try a free app called "soundabout". It can help designate audio outs with phones. I had that problem with my M8 and Soundabout fixed it.
Thanks.

Have tried that but sadly it doesn't work.

If I plug the ZS3 in with the ZS5 stock cable, it works and if I then replace each zs3 earpiece with the ZS5 ones whilst it's still plugged in it works.

Am completely bamboozled!!!!

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #18,604 of 64,130
Thanks.

Have tried that but sadly it doesn't work.

If I plug the ZS3 in with the ZS5 stock cable, it works and if I then replace each zs3 earpiece with the ZS5 ones whilst it's still plugged in it works.

Am completely bamboozled!!!!

bamboozled-t-shirt.jpg

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #18,606 of 64,130
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #18,607 of 64,130
Toddy they must have totally fudged your cable at the factory... The fudge packing factory!

It's fine with other phones and DAPs though. I'll just have to use them with my fiio E6 when using my phone as that bypasses whatever problem's occurring.

Can't blame the fudge packers for this, as I think it's a quirk with the S8. Hopefully someone else with the international version of the phone buys them too to see if it's just me.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #18,608 of 64,130
Triple button mic cable does not work on my Pixel XL.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #18,609 of 64,130
I've got no clue as to what is going on here. I see Campfire Orion, bottom piece of Campfire Nova, black painted ZS5 with red bore??, something broken, KZ stock cable, random driver... If you are reshelling ZS5, would you share the details about the amount of glue inside, where to get original Campfire Andromeda style shell etc.

C'mon man - we all see what's going on. You don't see?!? Look real hard. Like REALLLY hard. Squint if you need to!

Untitled drawing (1).png

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #18,612 of 64,130
No, everything else works 100% fine. It's a decent source actually with a decent DAC.

Some phones seem to do pretty well, most people slate the iPhone but it works well with the ZS5. I have an Aegis Cozoy DAC that's pretty powerful that I sometimes use but just don't need it with the ZS5.

The Cozoy can drive full size cans like the AKG Q701 fairly well

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #18,613 of 64,130
Some phones seem to do pretty well, most people slate the iPhone but it works well with the ZS5. I have an Aegis Cozoy DAC that's pretty powerful that I sometimes use but just don't need it with the ZS5.

The Cozoy can drive full size cans like the AKG Q701 fairly well

Have a Topping NX2 (mediocre DAC but great amp) and a fiio E6 which I'm currently using with the ZS5 either out of my phone or my Xduoo X3.

I think they really shine with a bit more power; seems to have tighter bass and better separation, although this is probably just in my head!!

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #18,614 of 64,130
Have a Topping NX2 (mediocre DAC but great amp) and a fiio E6 which I'm currently using with the ZS5 either out of my phone or my Xduoo X3.

I think they really shine with a bit more power; seems to have tighter bass and better separation, although this is probably just in my head!!

VOICES_PLANNING.jpg

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #18,615 of 64,130
Ok guys. Got my ZS5 few days ago.

You know guys I`m pretty hard on KZ IEMs and this time I`m going to be also.

Haven`t had much time with ZS5 but out of my iBasso DX5X these are sonically very very good and are certainly #1 KZ IEM.

For my ears they are very well tuned and have almost no faults. Almost. Will do more listening when I have time off my babycare. So far with bundled KZ starline smallest tips they seem to have very slightly looser bass I would wish for but too soon to tell.
Will have to do more tip-rolling & listening. Also, atm I have only stock cable with wire earguides (looks like dark turquoise) and haven`t measured its impedance or tried another cable.

Will update sometime soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back