Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #18,586 of 64,137
Joining the chorus saying source and power do seem to make a huge difference on the ZS5s. Just picked up a used Hifime sabre 9018 usb DAC for $40 off ebay and the ZS5s have really opened up. Tighter bass, bigger soundstage, and none of the occasional congestion I was getting on busier passages. Also enjoying the suggested comply t400s vs the stock starline tips.

Edit: This is comparing to previous use on the headphone out on a Samsung Galaxy S7, and a Sansa Clip.
Yes Spelaus, the ZS5 does indeed scale well with better DAC/Amp. I can't drive the ZS5 to it's full potential with my Samsung S7 Edge but when I plug the ZS5 into my Audio GD NFB 11.32 or Chord Mojo DAC/Amp, I can now hear the ZS5 singing to it's full potential. ZS5 does indeed scale up with better DAC and amp.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #18,587 of 64,137
Jun 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #18,590 of 64,137
I find most of my MP3's sound like artifacty garbage with my revealing iems but I've never had a problem with FLAC files.

It's not always a question of MP3 vs FLAC, but of good vs. bad quality mastering or remastering at the studio. In fact, if an album is mastered or remastered with the "loudness wars paradigm" of sound, ripping it in FLAC will only contribute to better reveal its flaws, when comparing to, for instances, 192 kbps mp3.

Well, I hope my ZS5, which is on the slow boat from china, doesn't have any of those issues with phase.

Only got one IEM out of phase, and the fault was with the cable. It was the KZ IE80 (which, unlike many of us here, I find quite enjoyable, with great beautiful mids and wide soundstage), and I bought a tingo silver..y cable with senn connectors. Problem solved. :wink:

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #18,591 of 64,137
ZS5 has been a real pleasure to listen to so far. Sometimes there is some boomy bass, sometimes slightly hot in the treble, sometimes I would like a bit more out of mids, but overall they are amazing and don't ever disappoint. In some cases with music that I'm familiar with they reveal enough to determine without error whether something is flac or mp3. Takes some wizardry to have them at this price. Here is to hoping that ZSR will bring even more to the table.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #18,592 of 64,137
So sad,
after a bit of trouble with the seller and a loooong wait I received a ZS5 with a golden ZST cable :triportsad: Luckily I ordered a silver ZS3 cable a week after the ZS5 which arrived a while ago but will have to order a new one.
Strangely the only difference in packaging is the ZST Sticker
20170630_163703.jpg

I'd use it for my ZST if it weren't that ugly (in my opinion) :confused:

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #18,593 of 64,137
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #18,597 of 64,137
I hope they're doing what you think they're doing.
And Cya, I'm searching out a balanced cable for ZS5 before I join the club. Anyone have links for a 2.5mm cable that will fit it?

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #18,598 of 64,137
Right, can someone with technical knowledge explain what's happening with my ZS5s with my S8????

I've received my second pair today and they do not work on my S8 with the stock mic cable. They work out of my xduoo X3 just fine and like my first pair work with my old ZS3 stock mic cable on the S8.

The phone recognises they are plugged in and the remote buttons work, but zero sound.

All my other iems work perfectly with the S8 so no issue with the phone, and as I said they work fine on the S8 with the older ZS3 cable.

I had exactly the same problem with my first pair and the silver cable.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #18,599 of 64,137
Right, can someone with technical knowledge explain what's happening with my ZS5s with my S8????

I've received my second pair today and they do not work on my S8 with the stock mic cable. They work out of my xduoo X3 just fine and like my first pair work with my old ZS3 stock mic cable on the S8.

The phone recognises they are plugged in and the remote buttons work, but zero sound.

All my other iems work perfectly with the S8 so no issue with the phone, and as I said they work fine on the S8 with the older ZS3 cable.

I had exactly the same problem with my first pair and the silver cable.

Is it the three button remote? I wonder if that's why KZ have gone back to the old cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back