Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #18,301 of 63,915
Hype can get out of control on here sometimes in BOTH directions.

The ZST got off to a bad start for example and it's almost heresy on here to say they are good.

The ZS5 has started off with great feedback (deservedly so IMO) but I agree with khighly that they're not that far apart from the. ZST.

This doesn't mean they're bad, but just means that I regard the ZSTs as also being exceptionally good for their price, despite popular opinion about sibilance and ear piercing treble.

With more listening though, the extra refinement of the ZS5s becomes apparent.

Pretty much my opinion. Was very impressed with the ZST at its price point. Like the ZS5 a bit more. But I also enjoy Grado, so hot treble doesn't seem to bother me.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #18,304 of 63,915
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies and help, new here

Just purchased the ZS5 and also found another seller that has the Bluetooth adapter for ZS3 / ZS5 by itself, so got that too!

so think I may have found the perfect setup for the gym, when it all arrives ...

Anyone have any advice on some cheap tips to buy that fit the diameter of the nozzle? (Or what diameter I should be looking out for even!)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #18,305 of 63,915
You've said a lot of what I think, although I don't agree that the ZSTs are better. Was A/B ing with the ZSTs and they do sound very similar although the extension at both ends of the spectrum is better on the ZS5 IMO.

Separation and layering are amazing for the price and I love that soundstage. Try the larger tips with a shallow insertion (as suggested by another user) and the isolation improves massively. Also try taping the vents on the front if your ears don't naturally block it.

Give them time as the more I listen to them the more I love them.
Tape mod + wide bore large tips for shallow insertion indeed work the best for me currently but i foresee the ZS5 won't last long due to the Mod as the 'clipping sound upon insertion' / driver flex will always be there when i wear it. Although i don't mind it since it is so damn cheap but i think the lifespan of the driver will likely be shorten as a result.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #18,306 of 63,915
Fine to have your own opinion, since hearing is so subjective. But there's no need to diss other's opinion just because they are different to yours, especially when there are alot of folks here with LOTS more reviewing experience than you.

I'm not concerned about reviewing experience. Most of the popular people reviewing on this website use snake oil terms and their entire reviews are total snake oil. You can tell they're been deluded by marketing. I'm about honest every day non-marketing reviews.

"The mids are fast and speedy and the silver cable really makes the mids pop and sibilance decrease. The blue KZ5's have a different sound signature because of the wavelength of absorption in the 470nm range, so the lows are more punchy" - mark of someone you should never listen to.

Anyway, I did have a change of mind last night with the ZS5's but I need to listen to them today again with fresh ears. They do sound a lot like the ZST's but there is a little bit extra which gives them a more full sound. Soundstage is seriously good. Brain burn-in is very real. I'll make new updates on my post later.

I also had a change with comfort, but again, I'll update original my post.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #18,307 of 63,915
My first post on head-fi. Might as well make it something interesting...

I messaged the KZ Official Store on aliexpress to ask if they were planning on selling the ZS5 and got the following reply:

I've asked for more information, but in the mean time maybe the experts here have some insight into these implied planned changes?

EDIT: Got a reply to my request for more information:

The plot thickens...

I hope they change the microphone. The buttons do not work at all with my phone.

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #18,308 of 63,915
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies and help, new here

Just purchased the ZS5 and also found another seller that has the Bluetooth adapter for ZS3 / ZS5 by itself, so got that too!

so think I may have found the perfect setup for the gym, when it all arrives ...

Anyone have any advice on some cheap tips to buy that fit the diameter of the nozzle? (Or what diameter I should be looking out for even!)

Thanks again

Why do you want to change the tips? The stock tips (Starlines) are the best tip KZ makes IMO (sound wise, build quality, and comfort). I put Starlines on 75% of the IEMs I own. If they don't fit, I make them fit; they're that good.

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #18,309 of 63,915
I'm not concerned about reviewing experience. Most of the popular people reviewing on this website use snake oil terms and their entire reviews are total snake oil. You can tell they're been deluded by marketing. I'm about honest every day non-marketing reviews.
They do sound a lot like the ZST's but there is a little bit extra which gives them a more full sound.

Sounds like snake oil to me LOL

Besides, you didn't say which cables you were using on the ZS5. The gold plated cables sound the best because of the crystalline structure of the copper and the gold ions allowing the sine wave frequencies to pass more efficiently.

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #18,310 of 63,915

Besides, you didn't say which cables you were using on the ZS5. The gold plated cables sound the best because of the crystalline structure of the copper and the gold ions allowing the sine wave frequencies to pass more efficiently.

:joy::joy::joy:

I'm going to start selling port hole grease. These guys will buy it.

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #18,311 of 63,915

It's more about aligning the crystal to allow for the bilateral continuance of the wave as it progresses along the neural network.

math1.png

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #18,314 of 63,915
Well according to official ad, the sound signal travel in gold plated cable 1.5 faster than in silver plated cable, there you have it from the snake oil maker's mouth:
http://imgur.com/dDWIjSt

Wow, 1.5xs faster than the speed of light! Why aren't those guys building spaceships instead of headphone cables?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #18,315 of 63,915
:joy::joy::joy:

I'm going to start selling port hole grease. These guys will buy it.

Actually, I just greased up my muffler bearings today with some port hole grease. There's no slicker stuff out there! Accept no substitutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back