Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #18,287 of 63,834
I've removed the memory wire from my ZS5 and added some weights to the cable, it's much better as a result. I don't want to swap to another cable as 70% of the time I use the ZS5 straight from my iPhone and the mic cable has full iOS controls.

What did you use for weights?

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #18,288 of 63,834
Interesting - I thought all of the memory wires had an actual metal wire inside.

So I was able to verify on a brand new pair of ZS3 that they indeed still have the acoustic foam inside the tube (ie early models = no foam, later models through current = foam).

Good call on the red filters - I swapped mine out for 4mm stainless screens as well.

Knowing the effect the red filters (vs stainless mesh) has on the highs, I wish KZ had instead put the filters on the ZST instead of the stainless mesh they used. The ZST would have been just the right amount of brightness then. Kind of ironic that they did the filters on the ZS3 when they benefit from the stainless mesh, and the ZST has the stainless mesh when they would benefit from the filters LOL

I actually enjoy the brightness of the ZST's and after a few days my brain has entirely adjusted for it. They lack substantial mids, but they're still my favorite IEM I own.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #18,289 of 63,834
I've had so many headphones that are brighter than the ZST, so the ZST didn't seem bright to me at all. Good amount of high end and basically zero listening fatigue for me. Only cons are the mids.

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #18,290 of 63,834
Only gone and ordered myself a blue pair of ZS5s in addition to my grey pair.

Why????

It was like a reflex reaction hitting buy when I saw they had dropped to £20, plus a store coupon taking another 1.92 off. I guess it's my subconscious telling me I like them!

Need to stay off aliexpress!!!

Jun 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #18,291 of 63,834

Why????

It was like a reflex reaction hitting buy when I saw they had dropped to £20, plus a store coupon taking another 1.92 off. I guess it's my subconscious telling me I like them!

Lol that sounds like me. I've become a collector of IEMS all of a sudden.

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #18,293 of 63,834

Why????

Damn that Gratification Monkey!

3587270_orig.jpg

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #18,294 of 63,834
ZS5 Review

Overview:
KZ ZS5

2x DD
2x BA

Impedance (measured with Fluke multimeter):
ZS5:
4.15ohms
ZST: 8.25ohms

Comfort: The memory wire is bad. I am personally not a fan, but others have said they really like it. These IEM's are made out of plastic, but they do seem like they'll withstand a good amount of abuse before you need to spend another $25 on a pair. In the ear, they're hard to get and keep a seal. The stem seems way too big but not long enough which makes my ears hurt. You may have to play around with different ear tips to get a correct fit. The stem has no lip, is short, and is too smooth, so I actually almost went to urgent care to get a [stock] ear tip out of my ear last night that came off the stem. I actually found tri flange to work very well and improve the sound greatly with a tight seal.

Isolation: Not great at all. Worse than the ZST's. Sitting on the light rail, I hear everything.

Sound: You're going to hate these at first and think they don't sound much better than the ZST. Give it about 12 hours of total listening over the course of a few days and you'll start liking them more and more. ZST-like, but with a bit extra. Very good seal is necessary for these IEM's. They do sound better than the ZST's (especially in soundstage), but there isn't that big of a difference. Mids are raised from the ZST, but they sit somewhat reserved and neutral. Bass isn't nearly as prominent as the ZST, but it's well controlled, punchy, fun, and ultimately has a more lower extension with a pleasant 'airy' effect on sub bass. Highs are harsh, just like the ZST - possibly even more harsh. I am a fan of the harsh highs as my brain switches into a mode where they bring out detail with just a good day of listening to them.

The entire sound signature sounds more controlled and neutral, but you still have those harsh highs.

Soundstage:
Enormous. Much more than ZST and ATR. These are going to be very trippy when I enjoy some legal Cannabis later. I'm actually hearing placement of instruments and sounds in new places around my head. Edit: Got high, did in fact have a good trippy experience with these.

Microphone & Controls:
Microphone 0/10. Terrible. Microphone buttons are totally useless on my Pixel XL. Volume down drops the volume one, and then just pushes it back up. Pause/Play does basically the same exact thing. Nobody can hear me well even when talking right into the mic port. No use for this cable for me.

Verdict:
They're a good experience over the ZST's when you find the right tips and comfort to get a good seal. and they have their pros and cons. Worth it for $25? Yes. Upgrade from the ZST? Yes.

Pictures:

Y9dp8tg.jpg

CFO8f4p.jpg

fKnVwXP.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #18,295 of 63,834
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #18,296 of 63,834
Is that the stock cable? The pair I purchased off gearbest has a different cable in the picture.

Silver upgrade cable, few dollars extra. I need to take the memory wire out of both.

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #18,297 of 63,834
My first post on head-fi. Might as well make it something interesting...

I messaged the KZ Official Store on aliexpress to ask if they were planning on selling the ZS5 and got the following reply:

ZS5 is now on sale in China
But it will change the details such as microphone

I've asked for more information, but in the mean time maybe the experts here have some insight into these implied planned changes?

EDIT: Got a reply to my request for more information:

I can't tell you for now. Please understand

The plot thickens...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #18,298 of 63,834
*Placeholder for my Official Review. I will keep editing this as I listen more. INITIAL THOUGHTS RIGHT NOW*

Overview: Eh...

Impedance:
ZS5:
4.15ohms
ZST: 8.25ohms

Comfort: The memory wire is bad. I am personally not a fan, but others have said they really like it. These IEM's are made out of plastic, but they do seem like they'll withstand a good amount of abuse before you need to spend another $25 on a pair. In the ear, they're hard to get and keep a seal. The stem seems way too big and not long enough which makes my ears hurt. You may have to play around with different ear tips to get a correct fit.

Isolation: Not great at all. Worse than the ZST's. Sitting on the light rail, I hear everything.

Sound: Get ready for disappointment here. These are 8+hr impressions. I don't see anything special here. Everything seems very neutral-ish and kind of muddy, but the top end of the highs scream with sibilance. ZST's have better sub bass and mid bass, and I could only recognize a slight difference in mids between them. Bass in the ZS5's seems very reserved and controlled. It's like an ATR with actual highs. There is a little more separation between highs/mids/lows in the ZS5's. So far, I think everyone has fallen for marketing, but I'll give it a few more days. They do sound better than the ZST's (especially in soundstage), but there isn't that big of a difference. Luckily KZ headphones are cheap and it isn't $200-$400 between different models.

Soundstage:
Enormous. Much more than ZST and ATR. These are going to be very trippy when I enjoy some legal Cannabis later. I'm actually hearing placement of instruments and sounds in new places around my head.

Microphone & Controls:
Microphone buttons are totally useless on my Pixel XL. Volume down drops the volume one, and then just pushes it back up. Pause/Play does basically the same exact thing. No use for this cable for me.

Verdict:
Not the mind blowing experiencing everyone was hoping for. I think a lot of people fell to marketing. I don't hesitate to belive the post that says there are only two active drivers in them. They sound like a differently tuned ZST with even more missing mids. It's actually funny seeing people whine about the ZST sibilance, and then the same people say the ZS5 have controlled highs. Not the case.

Pictures:

Y9dp8tg.jpg

CFO8f4p.jpg

You've said a lot of what I think, although I don't agree that the ZSTs are better. Was A/B ing with the ZSTs and they do sound very similar although the extension at both ends of the spectrum is better on the ZS5 IMO.

Separation and layering are amazing for the price and I love that soundstage. Try the larger tips with a shallow insertion (as suggested by another user) and the isolation improves massively. Also try taping the vents on the front if your ears don't naturally block it.

Give them time as the more I listen to them the more I love them.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #18,299 of 63,834
Sound: Get ready for disappointment here. These are 8+hr impressions. I don't see anything special here. Everything seems very neutral-ish and kind of muddy, but the top end of the highs scream with sibilance. ZST's have better sub bass and mid bass, and I could only recognize a slight difference in mids between them. Bass in the ZS5's seems very reserved and controlled. It's like an ATR with actual highs. There is a little more separation between highs/mids/lows in the ZS5's. So far, I think everyone has fallen for marketing, but I'll give it a few more days. They do sound better than the ZST's (especially in soundstage), but there isn't that big of a difference. Luckily KZ headphones are cheap and it isn't $200-$400 between different models.

Fine to have your own opinion, since hearing is so subjective. But there's no need to diss other's opinion just because they are different to yours, especially when there are alot of folks here with LOTS more reviewing experience than you.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #18,300 of 63,834
Fine to have your own opinion, since hearing is so subjective. But there's no need to diss other's opinion just because they are different to yours, especially when there are alot of folks here with LOTS more reviewing experience than you.

Hype can get out of control on here sometimes in BOTH directions.

The ZST got off to a bad start for example and it's almost heresy on here to say they are good.

The ZS5 has started off with great feedback (deservedly so IMO) but I agree with khighly that they're not that far apart from the. ZST.

This doesn't mean they're bad, but just means that I regard the ZSTs as also being exceptionally good for their price, despite popular opinion about sibilance and ear piercing treble.

With more listening though, the extra refinement of the ZS5s becomes apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back