Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #17,416 of 63,976
Also keep in mind early revision tend to be a bit funky compared to later ones. I'm going in regardless tho since they actually dont look that bad compared to that horrendous image that was posted 10 pages back.

Yeah, I'm personally holding off for a few months. Although I really like KZ, too many models have had problems upon their initial release for my tastes (both QC and tuning issues). I'll see what the situation is like once everyone else gets theirs & the reports start rolling in (good or bad).

May 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #17,417 of 63,976
Yeah, I'm personally holding off for a few months. Although I really like KZ, too many models have had problems upon their initial release for my tastes (both QC and tuning issues). I'll see what the situation is like once everyone else gets theirs & the reports start rolling in (good or bad).

Yes. But they've also gone down in quality with later revisions. See: ZS1.

May 8, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #17,418 of 63,976
If they are a better ks1 V.1 Bass king then Maybe I'll consider them. Got enuff EP's.

I have a feeling they are going to have some decent bass. If you look at this cutaway diagram, the large 10mm driver (responsible for bass) is firing directly in front of the nozzle opening. Most of the other drivers are buried inside of the shell, where some energy will be lost bouncing around inside of the shell.

cutaway.gif

Also, I wonder why they went ZS1, ZS2, ZS3, ZS5? Was I asleep when they released a ZS4? I mean, this model has 4 drivers inside - if there was ever a model that screamed the FOUR in ZS4 it would be this one, right?

May 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #17,419 of 63,976
Yes. But they've also gone down in quality with later revisions. See: ZS1.

I agree. The original ZS1 rev 1 is hands down the best sounding v-shaped IEM KZ has ever made IMO. Why they tinkered with it is beyond me. Luckily I own 2 of them muhaha

May 8, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #17,420 of 63,976
It looks like the Zs1 dual configuration had a baby with the ZST Configuration of 10mm + armature infront.

And then they just threw in another BA for good measure.

Actually very interested to see if it's going to be any good or not.

May 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #17,421 of 63,976
Something else to keep in mind with these 'ultra-high frequency' BA IEMs is how the average person's high frequency hearing starts taking a nosedive as we age. When I do frequency sweeps, I definitely can't hear as high as I could 10 or 20 years ago. No use paying for extra stuff you can't hear.

This isn't a specific reference to the ZS5, but more applicable as the 'more is better' BA wars heat up.

hearing loss over time - Edited.jpg

May 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #17,422 of 63,976
Just got the ZS3 and after some time with it I felt the medium tips (The size I typically use) made the ZS3 sound a tad bloated. After reading a through review on Amazon, I tried the small tips as recommended by the author and it totally tamed the bass, gave it more mid punch and balance overall. I also bought the upgrade cable for it. What a fantastic sounding IEM. The comfort and fit are awesome as well.

I was going to order the KZ ZST, but think I'll order the ZS3 instead, as I prefer a strong bass and have read the ZS3 are stronger at the low end. Glad you're enjoying yours.

I quite like the KZ ED9's I got a couple of weeks ago. Listening to seem early Genesis with them right now. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #17,423 of 63,976
Is it actually worth the time selling IEMs which you can buy new for $16 usd though haha

Of course! :ksc75smile: Advantages of buying second hand KZ IEMs:

- Shipping time could be greatly reduced, or down to zero in case of local pickup
- Chance of getting Dead on Arrivals (DOA) is virtually zero. Remember, this is Chi-Fi
- IEMs already burned in, saving buyer's time
- Try before you buy possible, since there's no brick and mortar stores carrying KZ IEMs
- Reduce wastage + Eco Friendliness (TM)
- Save a few bucks for a nice cup of coffee

May 8, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #17,424 of 63,976
what even is the point when recordings usually dont keep anything of value in that range?

I was going to order the KZ ZST, but think I'll order the ZS3 instead, as I prefer a strong bass and have read the ZS3 are stronger at the low end. Glad you're enjoying yours.

I quite like the KZ ED9's I got a couple of weeks ago. Listening to seem early Genesis with them right now. :)

If you like the ED9s then the ZS3 is going to sound extremely veiled.

The ED9 is the brightest IEM KZ has right now and ZS3 is one of the darkest ( IMO ).

ZST is also bright but missees that midbass punch.

This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but i think you might like the HDS3.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #17,425 of 63,976
Something else to keep in mind with these 'ultra-high frequency' BA IEMs is how the average person's high frequency hearing starts taking a nosedive as we age. When I do frequency sweeps, I definitely can't hear as high as I could 10 or 20 years ago. No use paying for extra stuff you can't hear.

I was shocked when I did a frequency sweep test and discovered how much high end I've lost. :frowning2:

That being said, with all of my IEM's, I have to lower the high end by using eq adjustments...so I must still be hearing some highs. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #17,427 of 63,976
If you like the ED9s then the ZS3 is going to sound extremely veiled.

The ED9 is the brightest IEM KZ has right now and ZS3 is one of the darkest ( IMO ).

Hmmm. I've read a few reviews of the ZS3 and nobody mentioned them being veiled.

Have you heard the KZ DT5? I don't have any dual-driver IEM's so they intrigue me...but seem out of stock everywhere. :frowning2:

If the ZS3's won't make me happy, maybe I'll just spend a bit more $ and get something like the **** 4in1, UrbanFuns or LZ A2s.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #17,428 of 63,976

Hmmm. I've read a few reviews of the ZS3 and nobody mentioned them being veiled.

Have you heard the KZ DT5? I don't have any dual-driver IEM's so they intrigue me...but seem out of stock everywhere. :frowning2:

No, sorry.

I'm a fan of the ZST, Gave away my ZS3, Sold my ED9 and currently have RX/HDS3/ATE/ATR on hand with a ZS3 coming in the mail for science. I've also had a ZS1 ( my first KZ - actually ). Oh and i have an ed12 somewhere in the house. The only use those got were a cable donation for my ZST.

Out of those i think i would rate them ZST>HDS3>ED9>ATE>>ATR=RX>>ZS1>ZS3>>>>>>>ED12 for my usage, which nowadays is mostly synthwave, metal and gaming.
Needless to say i dont like things that dont have a decent presence up top.

Also, This is only my personal subjective leaderboard, by no means objective. I want to get a pair of ED10/ANV/Gen1 ZS1 and some *others* like the Zircon and Tennmak Pros.

Edit: Sorry for the long post, i am aware that you didnt ask me for my life story.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #17,429 of 63,976
I want to get a pair of ED10/ANV/Gen1 ZS1 and some *others* like the Zircon and Tennmak Pros.

I was interested in the Tennmak Pros...but I don't know if I'd like the over-ear style.

May 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #17,430 of 63,976
No, sorry.

I'm a fan of the ZST, Gave away my ZS3, Sold my ED9 and currently have RX/HDS3/ATE/ATR on hand with a ZS3 coming in the mail for science. I've also had a ZS1 ( my first KZ - actually ). Oh and i have an ed12 somewhere in the house. The only use those got were a cable donation for my ZST.

Out of those i think i would rate them ZST>HDS3>ED9>ATE>>ATR=RX>>ZS1>ZS3>>>>>>>ED12 for my usage, which nowadays is mostly synthwave, metal and gaming.
Needless to say i dont like things that dont have a decent presence up top.

Also, This is only my personal subjective leaderboard, by no means objective. I want to get a pair of ED10/ANV/Gen1 ZS1 and some *others* like the Zircon and Tennmak Pros.

Edit: Sorry for the long post, i am aware that you didnt ask me for my life story.

You're going to have a difficult time finding ANV and ZS1 rev1 - they haven't been available for years.

Also, the ZS1 rev1 and Zircons are sub-bass skull crushers, which doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

What filters are you using on the ED9? The dull brass filter I assume?

And I'm with you - the HDS3 is a great in-ear (very underrated), and it's compact form factor makes it feel weightless and comfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back