Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #16,636 of 63,966
For the low cost, I think the HDS3 is very underrated. No one seems to recommend it or talk about it much. It does very well with more power from a headphone amp too, as it seems to struggle in the loudness department.

Agree, there's quite a few KZs that appear to have been overlooked with the recent releases. I'd rate the HDS3, ZN1 mini, EDR2 and the QKZ DM200 which is almost a retuned ATR all as being respectable earphones. I use a Cozoy Aegis with my iPhone/Android tablet so there's no shortage of power when it comes to driving earphones.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #16,637 of 63,966
Thanks for clearing that up. Glad I have the whole story now.

I see you had favorable impressions of the MEMT X5 and the KZ HDS3. I like them both (especially the X5, which I just recently acquired). For the low cost, I think the HDS3 is very underrated. No one seems to recommend it or talk about it much. It does very well with more power from a headphone amp too, as it seems to struggle in the loudness department.

I have the hds3. Don't like them, though. Gave them to my wife, she takes them to the gym with her sansa clip. I admit they are sturdy, they've been gettin quite a pounding!

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #16,638 of 63,966

Agree, there's quite a few KZs that appear to have been overlooked with the recent releases. I'd rate the HDS3, ZN1 mini, EDR2 and the QKZ DM200 which is almost a retuned ATR all as being respectable earphones. I use a Cozoy Aegis with my iPhone/Android tablet so there's no shortage of power when it comes to driving earphones.

Yeah, I was going to say - the DM200 looks identical to the ATE/ATR, with different strain reliefs, Starline tips, and solid colored housings (instead of ATE translucent).

Can you describe the tuning differences on the DM200 vs ATE or ATR?

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #16,639 of 63,966
I have the hds3. Don't like them, though. Gave them to my wife, she takes them to the gym with her sansa clip. I admit they are sturdy, they've been gettin quite a pounding!

The HDS series in general seemed kind of polarizing - I think a lot of people gave up after the HDS2.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about them?

I have all 3 in the series (HDS1, 2, and 3), and I definitely prefer the HDS3 out of the 3. They aren't in my daily rotation collection, but I do get them out when I just need a no nonsense micro IEM for grab and go beater purposes. Like you said, they're sturdy, don't require a storage case, no memory wires to deal with, no bulky housing like the Z series.

They do have an odd size flange, and many tips fit OK enough to use, but are loose enough to fall right off when cleaning the tip.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #16,640 of 63,966
Anyone find the ATR a bit low in volume? Not alot certainly compared to the other KZ's I have though a bit lower. Perhaps after some pink noise it will straighten up. Out the box the AST sound is amazing. I think it's the best of the bunch along with the ATE of course I dont have the ZS3, yet. Latin, Soul, Funk, Rock, Jazz And Pop. Sure. :wink:

Thus far:
ZST
ATE
ED9
ATR
yeah atr is lacking in volume just a litle bit but other than that the kz atr is perfect. Wat source do you use? Btw Just crank up the volume no problem.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #16,641 of 63,966

​ I have the QKZ DM200 in black and KZ HD9 in white.  Other than colour they are both the same and sound the same.  I don't have the ATE but I do have the ATR and the DM200 and HD9 have more forwards mids and a tighter bass.  Personally I prefer the DM200 and HD9 to the ATR since I find them a more fun earphone.  The shell of the DM200 and HD9 is slightly different that the ATR.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #16,642 of 63,966

The HDS series in general seemed kind of polarizing - I think a lot of people gave up after the HDS2.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about them?

I have all 3 in the series (HDS1, 2, and 3), and I definitely prefer the HDS3 out of the 3. They aren't in my daily rotation collection, but I do get them out when I just need a no nonsense micro IEM for grab and go beater purposes. Like you said, they're sturdy, don't require a storage case, no memory wires to deal with, no bulky housing like the Z series.

They do have an odd size flange, and many tips fit OK enough to use, but are loose enough to fall right off when cleaning the tip.

What I don't like about them... well, to me, they sound just like the hds1. Not flat or neutral, just.. dull. Nothing there really pulls you to the music. Never tried them with amplification, though.
As for the tips, the only ones that seemed to work were the sony mh1c's, they stick in place and provide for good isolation. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #16,643 of 63,966

​ I have the QKZ DM200 in black and KZ HD9 in white.  Other than colour they are both the same and sound the same.  I don't have the ATE but I do have the ATR and the DM200 and HD9 have more forwards mids and a tighter bass.  Personally I prefer the DM200 and HD9 to the ATR since I find them a more fun earphone.  The shell of the DM200 and HD9 is slightly different that the ATR.

Interesting. QKZ DM200/KZ HD9 sounds a lot like the ATE-S (not literally 'sounds' as in audio noise but figuratively sounds as in 'from RvTrav's description' haha). I'd be very interested in hearing how those 2 compare. If they are different enough from the ATE-S, I'll pick up a set.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #16,644 of 63,966

Interesting. QKZ DM200/KZ HD9 sounds a lot like the ATE-S. I'd be very interested in hearing how those 2 compare. If they are different enough from the ATE-S, I'll pick up a set.

If ATE-S are on the warm side of the ATR then the DM200 are on the opposite side in terms of being more mid forward. Bass is less on the DM200s compared to ATR.

I'm not a fan of too much warmth in an earphone so my preference would be: -

1. DM200
2. ATR
3. ATE-S 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #16,645 of 63,966
I would go with either the Rock Zircon (also known as the Rock Zircon Nano), the ATE or ATE-S (ATE-S have a little stronger bass than the ATE, but they are both excellent), or the blue/purple (not the black/carbon) KZ ZST.

Be aware that the ZST are large and bulky, and take a minute to put in properly. The ATE-S is kind of the same story as the ZST (bulky), and they have memory wires (which not everyone is a fan of memory wires). Both the ZST and ATE/ATE-S look very serious and "professional" if that matters to you. The Zircons are ridiculously compact (just stick them in and go), comfortable, very well built, and sound fantastic. They're a fluke though - everything else Rock makes sounds terrible.

Dang look what you did. Im looking at that ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM thread. Argggg. :) edit got the RZ better be good like my ZST. Why you SLS. Haha Ok ight waiting time along with ZS3.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #16,646 of 63,966
Dang look what you did. Im looking at that ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM thread. Argggg.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry man - welcome to the crack addiction that is Head-Fi LOL

I have no personal experience with the Mula, but be aware that there are reports that they are poop: https://audiobudget.com/product.php?brand=ROCK&id=Mula

The Zircons are supposed to walk all over the Mulas. Besides the inferior sound, the Mula is reported to have QC/quality issues. And Vidal pointed out that the Zircon can be prone to flake out on the R side (w/microphone). Luckily I've never had any issues with my Zircons, but after reading about the Mula I certainly wouldn't take a risk on it. For the same price ($6) there are much better (and safer) options. I do like the Zircon for bass-heavy genres though (especially when factoring in comfort), despite them not being popular with some.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #16,647 of 63,966

I have no personal experience with the Mula, but be aware that there are reports that they are poop: https://audiobudget.com/product.php?brand=ROCK&id=Mula

The Zircons are supposed to walk all over the Mulas. Besides the inferior sound, the Mula is reported to have QC/quality issues. And Vidal pointed out that the Zircon can be prone to flake out on the R side (w/microphone). Luckily I've never had any issues with my Zircons, but after reading about the Mula I certainly wouldn't take a risk on it. For the same price ($6) there are much better (and safer) options. I do like the Zircon for bass-heavy genres though (especially when factoring in comfort), despite them not being popular with some.

Phew escaped the crank Mula. I like reading betwen the lines on your sentences bahaha. Got them a bit under 12 shipped. Yup i stayed away a long time damn KZ had to be good. Out of my cart Mula. Im addicted, WELL not really mostly fun to get affordable gear and invaluable advice. Merci :wink:

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #16,648 of 63,966

Interesting. QKZ DM200/KZ HD9 sounds a lot like the ATE-S. I'd be very interested in hearing how those 2 compare. If they are different enough from the ATE-S, I'll pick up a set.

If ATE-S are on the warm side of the ATR then the DM200 are on the opposite side in terms of being more mid forward. Bass is less on the DM200s compared to ATR.

I'm not a fan of too much warmth in an earphone so my preference would be: -

1. DM200
2. ATR
3. ATE-S 

OK, very helpful. I see how KZ's thought process in placed the DM200 where they did in the tuning lineup then. Good to know they didn't just change the housing color, model name, and sell them as a "Sport" model.

I'll pick up a set next chance I have. Thanks for the info.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #16,649 of 63,966
Phew escaped the crank Mula. I like reading betwen the lines on your sentences bahaha. Got them a bit under 12 shipped.

Wait, you mean you got the Mula or Zircons for $12 shipped?

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #16,650 of 63,966

Just got my Zircons, can't believe they're that good lol.
How's the sound compared to ATR? If its good enough I'll buy them it almost $4 local.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back