Know any cheap Audeze Balanced XLR cable?
Jun 24, 2020 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sorrowdragon

Head-Fier
Just acquired some LCD-MX4s which are on their way, so in the meantime, I am looking to get a balanced xlr cable for them.

The issue is when looking at the usual places, all I see left and right are your typical audiofoolery snake oil nonsense, silver plated this, oxygen free that, constructed by nude virgins... sleeved/wound to look more like a piece of jewelry than a cable, and other wankery.

I have a background in studio/live music, I know XLR and Mini-XLR cables should cost as cheap at dirt (can literally buy a xlr cable for a fiver or a premium/shielded set for $10), but unfortunately the specific configuration I am looking for (xlr male to dual mini-xlr female) has the association of Audeze and similar expensive brands attached to it everywhere I look so the audiofoolery tax kicks in.

While, I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for the cable, especially when they are handmade by an individual for their time/effort, but when shops/individuals start asking prices well into the $100-1000+ range..that's when I know most are just taking advantage, regardless if under lab settings there is a difference that pretty much only an oscilloscope or multimeter would detect...

So before I decide to craft my own cable, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place or individual who offers cables for Audeze for reasonable prices without any of the audiofoolery tax... No more than $100, but preferably in the sub $60 range?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 17
Interested in this as well.
since this post, the cheapest reputable brand I could find was Periapt Cables
with their cheapest Audeze xlr cable being $77 (w/ free ship and no tax)
https://periaptcables.com/collectio...-6-dual-4-pin-xlr-mini?variant=13627723972713

Or a seller on Amazon (also has an Etsy store but cost more there) named HTPcables selling for $35 + ship + tax (~$55) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5LP7NJ/
Cable used is apparently Van Damme Blue Studio Series 2 Pair Multicore Cable, w/gold-plated Neutrik NC4MXX-B connector and 2x gold-plated Rean RT4FC-B connectors.

Ultimately I ended up ordering from Periapt Cables due to the quicker shipping as compared to the Amazon/Etsy seller, other wise would of ordered the cheaper option if I was a bit more patient :p

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 17
since this post, the cheapest reputable brand I could find was Periapt Cables
with their cheapest Audeze xlr cable being $77 (w/ free ship and no tax)
https://periaptcables.com/collectio...-6-dual-4-pin-xlr-mini?variant=13627723972713

Or a seller on Amazon (also has an Etsy store but cost more there) selling for $35 + ship + tax (~$55) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5LP7NJ/
Cable used is apparently Van Damme Blue Studio Series 2 Pair Multicore Cable, w/gold-plated Neutrik NC4MXX-B connector and 2x gold-plated Rean RT4FC-B connectors.

Ultimately I ended up ordering from Periapt Cables due to the quicker shipping as compared to the Amazon/Etsy seller, other wise would of ordered the cheaper option if I was a bit more patient :p
Do you have the periapt? Any thoughts on it compared to the stock? I'm looking at dyson audio too. I have their mytek xlr to dual 1/4 cable and it's been great.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 17
Keep in mind you can also cross-shop cables for ZMF and the Meze Empyrean, as they all use the same Audeze type connector. I ended up scoring a used Black Dragon for my LCD2C from the forums here. I'm a sucker for nice cables but really it's just for the look and feel. Plus if I can placebo myself into imagining sound improvements then I'll take those too haha.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 17
Keep in mind you can also cross-shop cables for ZMF and the Meze Empyrean, as they all use the same Audeze type connector. I ended up scoring a used Black Dragon for my LCD2C from the forums here. I'm a sucker for nice cables but really it's just for the look and feel. Plus if I can placebo myself into imagining sound improvements then I'll take those too haha.
I just sold my Meze empyrean. Before I let it go I tried their stock balanced cable. I preferred the $70 Luna shop cable that I bought second hand.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 17
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 17
I'd say somewhere in between soft and stiff, very manageable though.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 17
Do you have the periapt? Any thoughts on it compared to the stock? I'm looking at dyson audio too. I have their mytek xlr to dual 1/4 cable and it's been great.

I just ordered it this past weekend so haven't received it yet, even if I did, I wouldnt' be able to tell you how it compares to stock because Audeze is stingy AF.. LCD-MX4 doesn't come with an XLR cable or any balanced cable for that matter.. $3000 headphones and no XLR included.. lol stingy cheap f**ks.

Also if Zeos (Z-Reviews) and Joshua Valour's words means anything, they both are often using a Periapt cable for the headphones they review in their youtube uploads and have praised them multiple times (they look top notch and move like quality cables in their videos).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back