Knock! Knock! FiiO's New Earphones FD3/FD3 Pro Is Coming!
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 35
Dear friend,

1627867862902.png
Considering the high cost of MMCX connector, and the difficulty for detaching headphone unit &cable, now all the lower priced products of FiiO headphones use 2 pin connector instead of MMCX connector.

The FD3 Pro currently only comes out in black, which has the same appearance as the black FD3. But we will consider about other colour according to the market requirement.

Best regards
Dear Fiio: These look great. Beside the cable is there any other difference between the FD3 and the FD3 Pro at all?

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #17 of 35
Dear Fiio: These look great. Beside the cable is there any other difference between the FD3 and the FD3 Pro at all?
Dear friend,
1. The FD3 has two colors, black and silver. It comes with a 4-stranded 120-core Litz braided high-purity monocrystalline copper cable with a 3.5mm plug.

2. The FD3 Pro currently only comes out in black, which has the same appearance as the black FD3. It comes with an 8-stranded 152-core Litz braided high-purity monocrystalline silver-plated copper cable. Designed with an interchangeable plug, the FD3 Pro can suit almost all music players in the market with its 2.5/3.5/4.4mm plugs. Compared with the FD3, the FD3 Pro has warmer and more soft vocals and is able to capture more details in highs.

3. The shell material of the FD3 and the FD3 Pro are both made of aluminum-magnesium alloy.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 4, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 35
Whoa! It seems the FD3 and FD3 pro do have different sound signatures!

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #19 of 35
well yes and no. I am gonna guess what they are talking about is how the Pro model sounds due to the higher end cable. I am not so sure about if the mids are gonna sound warmer with softer vocals but the treble details will be greater using that cable. Been meaning to test out the cable that came with the FD5 which looks to be the same cable for the pro model to see what that does for the sound. Sorry folks been too busy with other reviews.

I did take a good listen last night. The non pro model with its copper cable sounds great. Will post some impressions of how they sound with the cable soon.

Aug 5, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #21 of 35
Sorry folks it took me a bit to find where I put the cables that came with the FD5. What happens when your not organized. Lol. In any case. I can see what Fiio did here with the FD3 and the pro version. The pro version is worth getting because of this cable. It is a very highly resolving cable they threw on the pro version for a reason. The sonics of the FD3 easily approaches the FD5 using this cable. It is the first time I can say I actually like the synergy of the cable and a Fiio earphone. The FD3 comes with two interchangeable nozzles. One that is more balanced for western and euro enthusiast base and the another nozzle to enhance trebles for their Asian enthusiast base. I like the tuning filers on the FD3 more so than the one included on the FD5. My review set has the balanced filter installed as well as a monocrystalline copper cable which was a great throw in.

If you already own the FD5 or the FH5s and you want to get a FD3. You can just get the FD3 the non pro verison as you already own the cable they are throwing on the Pro version. To be specific it is the cables that comes with the FD5 the FH5s is the 4 cored version. Or if you feel you just want the pro package.

So what does the pro cable do for the FD3? Definitely enhances detail of the sound. Compared to the copper cables. The upgraded pro cable is silver plated on an already highly resolving copper cable. If you guys seen some of the higher end cables in the industry that use UPOCC or ultra pure copper cables. Monocrystalline copper is very similar in what it does vs your garden variety copper cables..

I noticed a slight increase of stage presence with a uptick in clarity, better treble presence and it enhances detail of the base FD3 sound. The copper gives the FD3 more of a slight warmer tone but by no means is the detail lacking using this cable. Folks that are sensitive to trebles will do better with the non pro version and just use this copper cables.. It would have been better if the copper cable here was also modular but that would have cost more. As a throw in it is certainly a good copper cable.

It is surprising that these earphones are priced at where they are as it is clearly modeled after the FD5 and in some ways is designed a little better. Just because it is a lower numbered model don't mean it is a lesser sounding unit. Your certainly getting a great value here and I will have much more to say on my review I am working on. But for now any of you guys wanting to try a new Fiio product. These are not only at an aggressive price but these scream value in so many ways. Completely worth getting a set imo.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 35
I noticed a slight increase of stage presence with a uptick in clarity, better treble presence and it enhances detail
But surely these areas are all significantly greater in FD5? FD3 is not open-back, right?

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 35
It is. It uses basically the same type of shell and the prism baffle of the FD5 design. Its stage is a good indicator that it is semi open.

FD5 still has the greater bass drive with better texture for bass probably the added properties of the beryllium coating on the FD5. I don't think the FD3 is vastly inferior there however. But FD3 with its balanced nozzle is balanced better and don't loose stage or restrict any of the sonics of the FD3. I never liked the narrow nozzle while balancing the sound better for the FD5 also neutered the stage and air of the FD5 which was a no no for me. FD3 is an improvement on this aspect.

1628254477912.png

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 35
I know folks are thinking that the FD5 and FH5s will be much more superior to the FD3. I beg to differ. Of course there are aspects of their previous earphones that are better here and there but You would be suprised what the FD3 really is. I hear aspects of both the FD5 and the FH5s on the FD3. But only the good parts. And they are charging a 1/3rd of the price for the FD3 from their previous FD5 and who don't like a more improved advancement of previous tech but cheaper, not to mention is has the best tuning out of the 3 easily.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #25 of 35
Ok, so if FD5 is "open-back", looks like FD3 is "semi-open". More like vented, not open, really. Unless the faceplace has an opening in or around it, which it doesn't appear to.
fd5.png
fd3.png
fd3x.png

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #28 of 35
That silver version, though... FD5's little brother :wink:
fd3sc.jpg

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #29 of 35
Dear friend,
1. The FD3 has two colors, black and silver. It comes with a 4-stranded 120-core Litz braided high-purity monocrystalline copper cable with a 3.5mm plug.

2. The FD3 Pro currently only comes out in black, which has the same appearance as the black FD3. It comes with an 8-stranded 152-core Litz braided high-purity monocrystalline silver-plated copper cable. Designed with an interchangeable plug, the FD3 Pro can suit almost all music players in the market with its 2.5/3.5/4.4mm plugs. Compared with the FD3, the FD3 Pro has warmer and more soft vocals and is able to capture more details in highs.

3. The shell material of the FD3 and the FD3 Pro are both made of aluminum-magnesium alloy.

Best regards

Would Fiio consider a silver for the FD3 Pro in the future? Or perhaps a darker shade of silver for the FD3 Pro? Darker shades of silver/metallic such as "gun-metal grey" or "titanium grey" as it is sometimes referred to. I hope I am not the only one with this interest/request, but I personally think the silver or a darker shade of silver for the FD3 Pro would be a nice option that I would be interested in purchasing.

Thank you for hearing our voice!

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #30 of 35
Would Fiio consider a silver for the FD3 Pro in the future? Or perhaps a darker shade of silver for the FD3 Pro? Darker shades of silver/metallic such as "gun-metal grey" or "titanium grey" as it is sometimes referred to. I hope I am not the only one with this interest/request, but I personally think the silver or a darker shade of silver for the FD3 Pro would be a nice option that I would be interested in purchasing.

Thank you for hearing our voice!
Dear friend,

Thanks for the feedback. We will also report to the product manager. And you may check whether the FD3 in silver colour could meet your need?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back