Klipsh S4 Impressions?
May 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dofindale

100+ Head-Fier
Hi gang, im new to this hifi headgear stuff, and i must admit its addicting.  Being new, im in a dilema... I just bought the Klipsch S4 from bestbuy for $80 and think they sound great. 

Just ordered the coppers from onecall for $249 after reading the countless positive reviews.

Im just wondering if anyone has listened to the Klipsch S4, and how they fare in comparison to the Coppers?

May 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Never heard the Monster Coppers, so I can't compare it to the S4.  But there are multitudes of reivews and threads about the S4 here, if you use the search function.  To my ear, the S4 is very big in the bass (might be boomy to some), hot in the trebles, and a bit weak in the mids.  Very detailed, but became fatiguing to me in a short time.  YMMV.

May 20, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 9
The Coppers are much smoother and extended across the frequency band than the Klipsch.  My wife likes her S4s, and they are good at the $80 range after a good amount of burn-in to settle the bass and treble, but to me the Coppers are in another league (I would say the regular Turbines are also a major step up from the S4s, but they are $20-$70 more expensive also).  Besides the sound improvements, the build quality of the Coppers are a major step up over the regular Turbines and S4s.  For me, the S4s are good but a bit harsh or strident, and without the clean bass foundation, compared to the Coppers.

Both are good, but both are fairly priced for their respective market segments, and to me the Coppers are one of the better universal IEMs available today.  The Copper price you received from Onecall is also good, so enjoy both as you learn about this addictive hobby.

May 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Dobber.. If you have an extra pair lying around, stick a set of Shure olives on your wifes S4's..  I just did that to mine and they sound fantastic.  The olives mellowed the highs just enough without sacrificing any of the bass. 

May 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 9
Ty Dobber for the 411.  That really helps me.  However i have had the reg turbines in my posession, and found that it was very lacking in the upper frequencies, and the lower bass compared to the S4.  Sound stage was also small with the turbines. It was almost like someone was in my head singing, lol. Kinda weird on that. 
basshead.gif

But like you said the coppers on the other hand will probally be in another league.  I cant wait to get my ears on it and be able to enjoy the HI-FI experience like all the masters here
L3000.gif

May 20, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the s4 and the Turbine Pro Gold. The mids on the S4 are much more pronounced and the bass isn't as forward. The turbines have a larger sound stage and MUCH nicer cabling, but the highs are slightly more recessed. 

Just doing a back and forth that's what I get. The Klipsch seem more hollow and the turbines sound MUCH warmer.

Edit: and now they go back in their case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back