Klipsch x10 or UE Triple fi.10?
Nov 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #106 of 211

My TF10s just came in the mail. They are huge compared to the X10. 

First impressions is that the articulating edges are definitely sharper than the X10 which gives a more forward and aggressive sound, compared to the smoother and rounded sound of the X10. The bass quality on the TF10 is fantastic. It's very deep and textured. The mids are more recessed on most recordings that I'd like, which may be a deal-breaker in the end for these.

Weird thing about the TF10, is that the transition from the bass to mids isn't very cohesive. It's hard to explain. It's like sitting in a car with big subwoofers -- where the bass doesn't sound well integrated with the rest of the music. Whereas the X10's bass muddies the midrange a bit, the TF10's bass slightly overpower the midrange without bleeding into them. 

Not sure which one I like better yet, since I've spent such little time with them. I feel like the X10 plays it safe and makes no real missteps in its presentation, while the TF10 sounds more hi-fi but has a more glaring weakness, in my opinion. If I could combine the forward midrange of the X10, with extension of the TF10, I'd be quite happy. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #107 of 211
Thanks for the impressions. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts after you've had more time to play with them. I've been considering getting an IEM and these are among my choices but I don't know how well I'll adjust going from the big soundstage of my full size cans.

Quote:

My TF10s just came in the mail. They are huge compared to the X10. 

First impressions is that the articulating edges are definitely sharper than the X10 which gives a more forward and aggressive sound, compared to the smoother and rounded sound of the X10. The bass quality on the TF10 is fantastic. It's very deep and textured. The mids are more recessed on most recordings that I'd like, which may be a deal-breaker in the end for these.

Weird thing about the TF10, is that the transition from the bass to mids isn't very cohesive. It's hard to explain. It's like sitting in a car with big subwoofers -- where the bass doesn't sound well integrated with the rest of the music. Whereas the X10's bass muddies the midrange a bit, the TF10's bass slightly overpower the midrange without bleeding into them. 

Not sure which one I like better yet, since I've spent such little time with them. I feel like the X10 plays it safe and makes no real missteps in its presentation, while the TF10 sounds more hi-fi but has a more glaring weakness, in my opinion. If I could combine the forward midrange of the X10, with extension of the TF10, I'd be quite happy. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #108 of 211

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts after you've had more time to play with them. I've been considering getting an IEM and these are among my choices but I don't know how well I'll adjust going from the big soundstage of my full size cans.

My pleasure. I'm in sort of the same boat as you. IEMs weren't even on my radar until this Black Friday. I have a Shure E4c from many years ago, and have been so underwhelmed with them compared to my full-size cans that I had written off IEMs completely. I find both the X10 and TF10 much better than the E4c, which now has me curious to dive into more IEMs (damn you, head-fi). 

I'd say given some of your headphone choices (M50, Pro 900), then the TF10 has a similar presentation to what you're used to. I actually find it very similar to my Pro 900, except without the *big* sound of a full-size obviously. On the Pro 900, I find the mids a bit pushed back and the bass is big without muddying the mids (but a bit overpowering) and a forward treble. 

If I concede that IEMs won't give me the sound of my full-size cans (which I'm not sure is a good assumption at this point), then I'm only using them for comfort and convenience rather than absolute sound quality. If that's the case, then I'd pick the X10 over the TF10 because they are more comfortable by miles, and easy to listen to. It's all about being realistic about where you want to make your compromises.

But then again, there *may* be an IEM out there that I'll like as much as my full-size cans and it's a matter of whether or not I'd want to spend the time and money to figure that out. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #109 of 211

Quote:
now now, I would listen to them for a while longer before making any judgements, let the excitement and hype settle in before making any serious judgements

Nice advice indeed. Like anything new, the mind is easily tricked in thinking for the moment that what you're hearing is the best thing since sliced bread.  The x10 is a purposely warm and musical IEM, so it's designed to sound good with most common sources.  From a technical point of view, the x10 can't touch the ER4P/S, but if it sounds good to you, that's all that should matter, right? 

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #110 of 211
Thanks for all the tips guys! But i'm honestly more of a bass person since i listen to more modern music, and these seem to still have less than the S4s.... What song would any of you guys recommend to really bring out the bass? Since i'm here still thinking i don't have a right seal or something. I just wanna test out their best of the best bass

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #111 of 211

Quote:

I just got my X10s and have only listened to them for 30 minutes or so. Compared to my S4's, the X10s still seem to have a lot of bass. It's much more controlled and detailed, but there is a good amount of it. I'll be interested to hear your take on the S4 vs X10 once yours arrive.

Can't really do a S4 vs X10 comparison cause one of my S4 drivers died and I've been too lazy to replace them since I got the TF10 last year. I did get to try my friend's X10 for half an hour or so. From memory the bass level is significantly less than the S4 (which I had to EQ down to listen to) and somewhat more than the TF10. The bass also seems to be a lot more controlled than the S4 like you said.

@oremore12

I would use an equalizer to bump up the bass levels

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #112 of 211
In addition to the X10s, it looks like I will be joining the TF10 owners club also.

I managed to get the TF10s off a nice forum member that sold me his from the amazon deal :)

Once I listen to both, I will post impressions, although I doubt either will topple my current favorite, the CK10s.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #113 of 211
TF10 shall annihilate the CK10, like I just did to some in n out like 2 min ago 
very_evil_smiley.gif
.... even thou Ive never even seen a CK10 lol 

Quote:
 although I doubt either will topple my current favorite, the CK10s.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #114 of 211
Try using the Shure Olive foamies?  Makes the bass nice, wet, and sloppy.  As for the rest of the sound?  Still evaluating these.

Quote:
For me, the sound (bass, in particular) didn't improve until I started using Sony Hybrid tips.
The oval tips that Klipsch provides just did not fit my ears properly.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #116 of 211

Quote:
I could've only afforded one.. so can you make me feel better about my decision? ): lol

Should of bought X10 and UE 10 and then return which ever you don't like thats what I am going do..UE 10 better bass and overall sound quaility. Comfort X10-----> UE10...I'm most likely going decide which one to keep next week..

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #117 of 211

Overall it's hard to say which one is more balanced. The TF10's bass quantity is pretty great, while the X10 may have a tiny bit much. The X10's bass is more linear though and has better extension. Upper mids are laid back on both, but it's worse in the case of the TF10, but it's treble has more sparkle and air. I'll say that technically, they're on par. Soundstage is bigger on the TF10 but the X10 is by no means tiny. Imaging is about equal on both and both have good dynamic range. Overall though, I think the X10 sounds more natural. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #118 of 211
I got in on this deal - got both, received 'em today, couldn't wait to try 'em.

I couldn't have been more disappointed (...and here I was made to believe that I'd achieve aural nirvana). After a few hours of listening through both, I am still trying to convince myself about their "remarkable sound". Firstly, where is the bass? At least, give me some semblance of a punch/thump of the drums. There is nada, null, zilch!

I am listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall (flac), but aside from some minor sounds that I never noticed, I am not much pleased with the outcome. I am afraid Sennheiser HD 202 II contain more (punchy) bass than these expensive abominations. I was hoping writing my rant here, may summon some posters to ridicule me and tell me the correct way to use them, so that I can appreciate the beauty of the sounds everyone seems to have experienced with these things at some point or the other.

P.S. I am pretty sure they are well-inserted and sealed into my ear (almost to the point of touching my ear drum).

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #119 of 211
It sounds like your not getting a tight seal. I am listneing to my TF10's right now and I can slightly feel the bass lines in my head. I haven't tried the X10's yet. I am giving each a day before i try to A/B them.

Quote:

I couldn't have been more disappointed (...and here I was made to believe that I'd achieve aural nirvana). After a few hours of listening through both, I am still trying to convince myself about their "remarkable sound". Firstly, where is the bass? At least, give me some semblance of a punch/thump of the drums. There is nada, null, zilch!

I am listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall (flac), but aside from some minor sounds that I never noticed, I am not much pleased with the outcome. I am afraid Sennheiser HD 202 II contain more (punchy) bass than these expensive abominations. I was hoping writing my rant here, may summon some posters to ridicule me and tell me the correct way to use them, so that I can appreciate the beauty of the sounds everyone seems to have experienced with these things at some point or the other.

P.S. I am pretty sure they are well-inserted and sealed into my ear (almost to the point of touching my ear drum).

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #120 of 211
What other IEMs have you tried? How would you rank these 2 vs those and why?

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back