Klipsch x10 or UE Triple fi.10?
Nov 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #138 of 211

Quote:

I believe this is referring to me, so I just wanted to clarify my statement. I only meant that in the sense that the bass sounds a bit disjointed from the rest of the spectrum, and the overall sound is not as cohesive. If you've ever listened to music inside of a car with a couple of 12" subwoofers and thin sounding speakers inside, you'll know what I mean. This did not necessarily refer to the bass kick/impact/quantity. 

After reading more on IEMs (like I said, I'm a total noob), this phenomenon seems to be a characterisitic with some multi-driver IEMs (how well integrated the different frequencies are). I guess since I'm only accustomed to full-size cans, and not IEMs, i was a bit sensitive to it. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, just remarking on it. 

The first thing I'd say is you probably need to temper your expectations a bit. I can't imagine these tiny drivers moving enough air to produce head-rattling bass that you can feel (much like how full size headphones can't compare with speakers). You'll probably never get the same bass impact out of an IEM that you can get out of a full-size headphone -- where the driver can move TONS more air. Again, I haven't heard any IEMs beside the two in this thread (and the Shure E4c), so maybe I'm way off base with that assumption.

With that said, two of my main headphones are the Pro 900 and the LCD-2 and I don't find the bass on the TF10 lacking at all. It's very big, enveloping bass (albeit inside your head). I'm wondering if you're not getting a proper seal, or you have a defective pair. 

it sounds like what you are describing is soundstage

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #139 of 211
Got my X10s. TF10s>>>>X10s. The X10s sound like crap compared to the TF10s LOL. They don't sound like crap on their own, they're actually very very smooth and non-fatiguing. VERY smooth. These should do well with any poorly mastered albums.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #140 of 211
That is exactly how i feel! Everyone's saying these are extremely high quality, it might not be specifically for my type of music,(BASS) but it should have atleast 'some'! I mean c'mon!

Quote:
I got in on this deal - got both, received 'em today, couldn't wait to try 'em.

I couldn't have been more disappointed (...and here I was made to believe that I'd achieve aural nirvana). After a few hours of listening through both, I am still trying to convince myself about their "remarkable sound". Firstly, where is the bass? At least, give me some semblance of a punch/thump of the drums. There is nada, null, zilch!

I am listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall (flac), but aside from some minor sounds that I never noticed, I am not much pleased with the outcome. I am afraid Sennheiser HD 202 II contain more (punchy) bass than these expensive abominations. I was hoping writing my rant here, may summon some posters to ridicule me and tell me the correct way to use them, so that I can appreciate the beauty of the sounds everyone seems to have experienced with these things at some point or the other.

P.S. I am pretty sure they are well-inserted and sealed into my ear (almost to the point of touching my ear drum).

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #141 of 211
Me too, i'm getting NO bass, a LOT lower than i expected from Klipsch..... Why could this be??

Quote:
I didn't want to get into IEMs but I'm tired of lugging around my cans. I got both pairs today and son i am disappoint.

i must not be able to get a good seal. the bass response is horrible on the triple.fi 10s. I'm coming from beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm (unamped) for now.

I believe I have small ear canals. I'm using the smallest tips and they aren't moving around at all but the bass response is autrocious for me. Even if I jam them in they are so bright and while I definitely hear the bass, its very underwhelming. Someone said it was like sitting in a car with a huge subwoofer and its so far from that for me. I'm getting significantly more highs than I prefer and the kick is pretty punchy, but theres no depth at all to the bass.

I'm afraid of opening the X10s now.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #143 of 211

Quote:
Got my X10s. TF10s>>>>X10s. The X10s sound like crap compared to the TF10s LOL. They don't sound like crap on their own, they're actually very very smooth and non-fatiguing. VERY smooth. These should do well with any poorly mastered albums.

the x10's sound very good, smooth with a good dose of bass but they aren't very revealing, great for pop music though

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #144 of 211

Quote:

Didn't open mine and might not.
Can you be more specific about it's sound sig?  Is the mid more forward vs tf10?  less bass impact vs tf10?  probably less detail and brightness in the highs.
Not entertaining?

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #145 of 211
Yeah, I think they're the smoothest IEMs I've yet heard. Taking the crown from the MMDT. They aren't exactly bassmonsters but they're still plenty bassy to me. I hate when people say something has "no bass." Do you really not hear any bass frequencies AT ALL?

Quote:
the x10's sound very good, smooth with a good dose of bass but they aren't very revealing, great for pop music though

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #146 of 211
So the x10s are good for pop for you? I have them and i'm still trying to figure out if i want to return them or not! I mean, i'm young, so listen to ALOT of like pop and bass and all.. also some hardcore metal... So is it just because my pair is still too new or something? I've had em for about 2 days.... i have a good seal and all? Whats the problem?

Quote:
Hi everyone, brand new here, great place and thanks for sharing all your experiences with these earbuds.

Just got the X10's from amazon with the deal they were running, and I'm coming from owning the S4's.

Just curious, in order to get the same bass and general volume production from the X10's i'm finding that I'm needing to turn up the volume more.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I need to turn up the volume to drive these?

And yes I've tried to get the best seal with the various ear gels, and I just can't get the same bass as the S4's. I'm no audiophile by any means, but I love alot of bass. Perhaps it's that 'muddy' bass that alot of people don't like, but I can definitely tell a difference.

Quote:

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #147 of 211

Quote:
Can you be more specific about it's sound sig?  Is the mid more forward vs tf10?  less bass impact vs tf10?  probably less detail and brightness in the highs.
Not entertaining?

Well they aren't very hi-fi sounding. They truly sound like a consumer-level product, in that it goes for a safe and forgiving signature rather than high-quality sound. 

If I could compare them to a full-size, it sounds most similar to a B&W P5. It also sounds somewhat similar to the Klipsch Image One, but the bass isn't nearly as overblown as the Image One is. It also sounds like a couple of Bose models I've tried (but not sure of the model names). It's definitely in that category product, IMO. You should be able to demo any of those headphones at an Apple Store or a Best Buy, to give you a good sense of how they sound.

It is much more mid-centric than the TF10s. Most of the focus in the X10 is the lower-mids, so there is some heft, weight and lushness. Definitely less detail and brightness -- which makes them much more forgiving of source and easier to listen to. The entire spectrum is more "rounded off" than the TF10 -- so the articulating edges of the attack aren't as sharp and that sacrifices clarity, instrument separation and soundstage as a result. On the other hand, the mids on the TF10 are both recessed and thin-sounding in comparison, which I find quite annoying. I'm too used to orthos so I need some meaty mids. I find the bass in the TF10s to be better in quality (which seems to be the universal consensus) as well as quantity (which seems that I'm in the minority here). 

The X10 is more musical, more forgiving, has a higher genre bandwidth, and a warmer mid-centric sound. The TF10 is better technically, a brighter/analytical presentation, and more resolving. Both of them are fun in their own ways. 

If absolute fidelity is your main objective, then the TF10 is your choice. For me, neither of them compare to my full-size headphones, so the comfort of the X10 edges it out if I had to choose one. They compliment each other pretty well, so I'm glad I got both. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #148 of 211
Bassy, warm, smooth. I'd say the mids are a bit more forward, not A/Bing much right now though since I'm about to go to the gym. More bass impact than the TF10s, not by much. Good bass texturing. Less clarity, detail, and transparency in general in a smaller soundstage. I wouldn't say they aren't entertaining, and there's something to be said for being able to sound good with bad MP3s and recordings. Pretty good timbre too actually, they might have that over the TF10s since I find the latter to be somewhat unnatural sounding.

But the TF10s just sound strikingly better, and it's immediately apparent. To my ears at least.

Quote:
Not entertaining?

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #149 of 211

Quote:
Not entertaining?

why don't you try it? and if you don't like it, resell it on headfi or return it to amazon.com

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #150 of 211

Quote:

Well they aren't very hi-fi sounding. They truly sound like a consumer-level product, in that it goes for a safe and forgiving signature rather than high-quality sound. 

If I could compare them to a full-size, it sounds most similar to a B&W P5. It also sounds somewhat similar to the Klipsch Image One, but the bass isn't nearly as overblown as the Image One is. It also sounds like a couple of Bose models I've tried (but not sure of the model names). It's definitely in that category product, IMO. You should be able to demo any of those headphones at an Apple Store or a Best Buy, to give you a good sense of how they sound.

It is much more mid-centric than the TF10s. Most of the focus in the X10 is the lower-mids, so there is some heft, weight and lushness. Definitely less detail and brightness -- which makes them much more forgiving of source and easier to listen to. The entire spectrum is more "rounded off" than the TF10 -- so the articulating edges of the attack aren't as sharp and that sacrifices clarity, instrument separation and soundstage as a result. On the other hand, the mids on the TF10 are both recessed and thin-sounding in comparison, which I find quite annoying. I'm too used to orthos so I need some meaty mids. I find the bass in the TF10s to be better in quality (which seems to be the universal consensus) as well as quantity (which seems that I'm in the minority here). 

The X10 is more musical, more forgiving, has a higher genre bandwidth, and a warmer mid-centric sound. The TF10 is better technically, a brighter/analytical presentation, and more resolving. Both of them are fun in their own ways. 

If absolute fidelity is your main objective, then the TF10 is your choice. For me, neither of them compare to my full-size headphones, so the comfort of the X10 edges it out if I had to choose one. They compliment each other pretty well, so I'm glad I got both. 

I agree with this post after listening to the X10s for the second day.  My initial impressions were not favorable, I thought they sounded very tinny and congested.  Very smooth but a congested presentation as opposed to the wider, airier feel of the TF10s.  One thing I've noted on using the X10 is the air tight seal which brings me to the turbines I've had previous. 

When I inserted the turbines, this raised pressure inside my ear akin to a sudden drop in elevation requiring an ear to 'pop'.  If one drives down a steep mountain in say, colorado, you'd know this, or an airplane trip.  Before the 'pop' all things do sound veiled, muddy and congested, then after the 'pop' everything is back to normal.  To remedy this I would insert the turbine, then pull it out just ever slightly to relieve some of the created pressure, the turbines sound great after this.  I've encountered the same with the X10 earphones.  I use comply tips on my TF10s so it's not a problem there. 

cheers lads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back