klipsch s4 ?
May 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

johnfl

New Head-Fier
I have a $100 gift card for best buy and need new in-ear phones for my ipod..I listen to pop,metal,and break beats mainly.should I pick up the S4's or should I try the Bose or Ultimate Ears I walk in the evenings with my ipod and listen to the music at my desk, just a average guy needing some all around in-earphones.I see the turbines are $180 are they that much better than the klipsch S4's ?

May 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 18
The Turbines to me are worth ~$100, maybe a little less. Definitely not $180 and definitely not 2x more than the S4. If you have to purchase from best buy the S4 is probably as close as you're going to get to not getting ripped off. 

May 6, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 18
Warm sound with a lot of bass, but it could be a bit slow for metal. Very comfortable, good isolation. 
There is a comparison with turbines:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/462443/klipsch-s4-vs-monster-turbine-vs-nuforce-ne-7m

May 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 18
Well I went and got the S4's this morning.Man these things rock !! I have the small ovals in there a pretty good fit but it doesn't take much for them to come out.The flanges included are to small I want order some flanges for them will these fit ?

May 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 18
John,

The S4's do rock and just wait until they're burned in a little.  I still love mine, I love the thump.  You do know that these get seated in your ear canal right? They don't just sit in your ear. It may take a little twisting and pressure, but trust me, you'll know they're seated when the bass thumps and everything cleans up. It's a little strange/uncomfortable at first when they penetrate, but your ears will adjust quickly. I actually end up wearing mine with the cable facing up so I can tuck the cable over my ears.  Once they're seated you'll be able to bang your head against a wall and they will not come out.. but I don't recommend that.. LOL  When you're done listening to them tonight, let them "burn in" overnight.  I burned mine in each of the first few nights and listened to them during the day, and they got even better with time.  Set the volume just above where you would normally listen to them and set your iPod to shuffle and replay.  It made a difference for me.

Enjoy them!! For the money, they are tough to beat and still the most "fun" earphones I've tried.

May 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 18
Man your right I put the large ovals on,
wet them with the corner of my mouth pop them in turned them upside down !!
There in there snug as a rug..Deadmau5 never sounded so good !!
L3000.gif
Thanks for the tip brudda !!

May 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Man your right I put the large ovals on,
wet them with the corner of my mouth pop them in turned them upside down !!
There in there snug as a rug..Deadmau5 never sounded so good !!
L3000.gif
Thanks for the tip brudda !!

Anytime.. Deadmau5, Tiesto and David Guetta really come to life with the S4's..

May 15, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 18
Joey, I see you also have a pair of IE8.
Here they cost about 2.3x the price of S4 I convinced myself to buy the IE8 and seeing all the positive words on the S4 I was thinking if going cheap wasn't a good option.
Would the S4 be good for the occasional classical music craving? (the rest of my library is similar to your suggestions)

May 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Joey, I see you also have a pair of IE8.
Here they cost about 2.3x the price of S4 I convinced myself to buy the IE8 and seeing all the positive words on the S4 I was thinking if going cheap wasn't a good option.
Would the S4 be good for the occasional classical music craving? (the rest of my library is similar to your suggestions)

Well I think I have to preface my comments with a disclaimer since I've only had my IE8's for a few days now and I'm still putting them through their paces.  I'm enjoying everything (all genres of music) on them so far.  The soundstage is very wide compared to the S4's, the mids are more present and their signature (overall sound) very enoyable. The isolation levels are very different and I'm searching for the best tip combination right now. 

If you just ordered the 8's or already own them, I wouldn't suggest picking up the S4's, for two reasons. First, buyer remorse for purchasing the 8's (LOL) and second, the fact that the IE8's are pretty spectacular.  I probably assumed or expected I'd hear more of a difference between the S4's and the 8's.  There are differences, but IMO and to my ears, it's not that big of a step up.  I think it's because I find their overall sound signatures very close in terms of flavoring.  I find both of them warm and for some that would probably mean Bass heavy. 

They both handle classical very well.  I feel that the mids on the 8's help reveal a few more layers when listening to orchestra pieces, however the larger soundstage can actually adversely affect other pieces.  When listening to Glenn Gould play Mozart on the S4's it's like I'm standing right behind him while he plays.  The same piece on the 8's sounds almost veiled in comparison (like I'm in the same room, but listening through a sheet).  It's not bad, just different.  Sometimes I prefer the intimacy of the S4's over the 8's expanded soundstage.  It really comes down to preference at this point.  Even on Jacqueline Du Pre's version of Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor, I feel like I'm 30 rows back in the audience with the 8's while I'm front row with the S4's.  Again, not bad, just different. 

I don't know if any of this helps or confuses you, but I'll sum it up this way.  If I were forced to choose between the S4's or IE8's today, with only about 8 hours of listening to my IE8's, (purchased used - already burned in, still searching for the right tip), and live the rest of my days with only one.  Based on isolation, overall sound quality and comfort level I'd choose the Klipsch S4's. 

Again, this is based on my opinion only and what I value most in regards to listening pleasure - fun factor.  I don't listen to my IEM's I listen to my music.  They may not be best in any one area, but they work for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for reading and remember, enjoy the music first and foremost.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Joey, thanks for your posting with recommendation of the S4's. I needed something to replace my Shure 310's and I apicked them up last night at Best Buy cause I couldn't take it anymore. Shure wants $80 to repair my 310's so I thought why not try something else after reading heard on Head-Fi. I am totally in love with these and they aren't even burned in yet. I can enjoy my music again and these blow away the $300 Shures by a lot. I set my iPhone to flat EQing and they it's perfect withou to much bass or treble. Thanks for yor advice.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Joey, thanks for your posting with recommendation of the S4's. I needed something to replace my Shure 310's and I apicked them up last night at Best Buy cause I couldn't take it anymore. Shure wants $80 to repair my 310's so I thought why not try something else after reading heard on Head-Fi. I am totally in love with these and they aren't even burned in yet. I can enjoy my music again and these blow away the $300 Shures by a lot. I set my iPhone to flat EQing and they it's perfect withou to much bass or treble. Thanks for yor advice.

I'm glad you're enjoying them.. They either work for you or they don't, some people experience sibilance or harsh treble from them, but I never did.  I enjoyed the heck out of those S4's and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another pair, knowing that they sound great to me.

Another tip for you.. (pun intended)  Try the Shure Olives on the S4'S.. they worked great for me..

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 18
Very helpful thread.  I was looking for a replacement for my Shure e3c's which I've had for about 6 or 7 years and which finally broke.  Didn't want to spend a ton and just picked up these badboys.  They definitely sounds good (albeit after only 15 mins of listening).

Anyway, what do you mean by the Shure "Olives" - are you referring to the black foamies?  That's what I used on my 3c's and loved them.  Plus I have a bunch at home since I recently ordered a new pack.

I also plan to wear the s4's upside down with the cord around my ear, which is how I wore the 3c's - sounds like you do that and it works well?  I like having the wire out of the way.  I assume that the R/L channels get mixed up but not sure that matters much for the music I listen to - electronic and rock.

Thanks again.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Very helpful thread.  I was looking for a replacement for my Shure e3c's which I've had for about 6 or 7 years and which finally broke.  Didn't want to spend a ton and just picked up these badboys.  They definitely sounds good (albeit after only 15 mins of listening).

Anyway, what do you mean by the Shure "Olives" - are you referring to the black foamies?  That's what I used on my 3c's and loved them.  Plus I have a bunch at home since I recently ordered a new pack.

I also plan to wear the s4's upside down with the cord around my ear, which is how I wore the 3c's - sounds like you do that and it works well?  I like having the wire out of the way.  I assume that the R/L channels get mixed up but not sure that matters much for the music I listen to - electronic and rock.

Thanks again.

They'll settle in after about 30 hours and round out nicely.

Yes, the Shure Olives are the black foamies.. they will fit the nozzle of the S4's perfectly and they were my preferred tip.  Squish them up and put them in and enjoy.

I preferred to wear them up when I was mobile, but I could wear them either way.  You don't have to switch sides to wear them up.  Just twist them so the butt (where the cable meets the housing) is up and enjoy.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 18

Thanks for the reply....maybe I'm just an idiot but not sure I get the last point.  If you put them in your ears the way they are labeled with the bent piece pointing in towards your ear canal they are comfortable.  If you rotate them so the cable is facing up, doesn't the bent piece now point the other way?  They don't seem too comfy.  Or does the piece where the cable is attached actually rotate individually?  I'm scared to push it too much b/c I don't want to break them.
Quote:
I preferred to wear them up when I was mobile, but I could wear them either way.  You don't have to switch sides to wear them up.  Just twist them so the butt (where the cable meets the housing) is up and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back