Klipsch S4 or Head-Direct RE0?
Feb 7, 2010 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Fandangoya

New Head-Fier
Trying to make a decision...they would mostly be used with iPod/iPhone. Looking for really good comfort and isolation....

Amp needed? What would be a good one for $100 or less?

Or recommend another pair or IEMs for $100 or less...

Thanks

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 40
I prefer RE0, but the S4 certainly has a livelier, more bass heavy sound. Neither's soundstage is great but the S4 is especially poor IMO.

I am a bit attached to the RE0 as that is the first pair of IEM that "wow"ed me and introduced me to this unfortunate habit for buying ever more expensive items. The S4 did not do that for me and I find the headphone a bit on the cheaply built side(especially the cord)

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 40
RE0 - not enough bass, good clarity.
S4 - too much bass, not good balance.

I have a slight preference for the S4, but the trade-off is bass vs. clarity and people differ.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 40
RE0. You don't get "thumping" bass, you get bass where you can actually make out details
tongue.gif
. Not as "fun" overall, but a better IEM in the long run IMO.

Different tips make a huge difference on the RE0. Right now I'm using cut up earplugs with holes punched through for a warmer, olive-style sound but with more treble. Best tips ever
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 40
I'm just worried the RE0s might be too "thin" for my taste....I get the feeling from reviews that they just don't have the "umpf" that the S4s have.

But I'm also worried about the S4s having too "boomy" of a bass....I like my bass to be somewhat powerful, but VERY clean.

Decisions, decisions....

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fandangoya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just worried the RE0s might be too "thin" for my taste....I get the feeling from reviews that they just don't have the "umpf" that the S4s have.

But I'm also worried about the S4s having too "boomy" of a bass....I like my bass to be somewhat powerful, but VERY clean.

Decisions, decisions....

I dont find my REO's thin at all. The bass isnt strong, but its still great. And when amped the bass is at a perfect balance (aleast IMO)

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildewonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont find my REO's thin at all. The bass isnt strong, but its still great. And when amped the bass is at a perfect balance (aleast IMO)

Yeah, amped gives them a lot more body. Especially out of an iPod. And you can emphasize the bass with foam tips.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildewonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What amp would you recommend? Will the Fiio E5 do it? It would be really nice if it did...considering it's nice price....

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 40
The S4's bass gets quite a bit better with a full burn-in period. If you want a fun earphone for lively listening, it's great at its price. No worries about umph and the treble becomes nice with burn-in. The S4 is also very light and comfortable (the klipsch eartips are oval, so orient them correctly and you're set).

They're both FOTM here, so I guess you won't go really wrong either way, just different preferences.

If you buy the S4 from the Klipsch website (recommended), they you get a 30 day full refund if you're not satisfied and then the usual 2-year warranty (keep the receipt!) for all authorized Klipsch dealers. Something to keep in mind for sure.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

What amp would you recommend? Will the Fiio E5 do it? It would be really nice if it did...considering it's nice price....

Even the E1 would work, but yeah the E5 should fill in the "deficiency" nicely.

If you do get them, give yourself a chance to adapt before adding in the bass boost. And make sure you've used them for at least 60 or so hours.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S4's bass gets quite a bit better with a full burn-in period. If you want a fun earphone for lively listening, it's great at its price. No worries about umph and the treble becomes nice with burn-in. The S4 is also very light and comfortable (the klipsch eartips are oval, so orient them correctly and you're set).

They're both FOTM here, so I guess you won't go really wrong either way, just different preferences.

If you buy the S4 from the Klipsch website (recommended), they you get a 30 day full refund if you're not satisfied and then the usual 2-year warranty (keep the receipt!) for all authorized Klipsch dealers. Something to keep in mind for sure.

Thanks for the info. I definitely think I'm leaning towards the S4s, since they just seem like the most "fun" pair of headphones, and I'll mainly just be using them for walking around and stuff. I would rather build up my "home" setup (with around the ear cans) for more seious listening, since it seems like that is what the RE0's are for.

Also, that refund is brillaint, didn't know about. I think I'm gonna get the S4s and if I'm unhappy, I'll return and try the RE0s.

Thanks for the input guys.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 40
I tried RE0s with their small bi-flanges yesterday, and they had a lot of bass. I was very very surprised. So tips definitely play a large part in the sound.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried RE0s with their small bi-flanges yesterday, and they had a lot of bass. I was very very surprised. So tips definitely play a large part in the sound.

Just when I think I have my mind made up....haha

Also, I'm not deadset on just those. I'm open to some other recommendations up to ~$150 probably.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 40
Also, I know this is probably like comparing apples to oranges, but...

Can anyone comapre the bass on the S4s/RE0s to the bass on Senneheiser HD555's? I have these cans, and they are known to be a little bass-light. Is the bass on RE0s kind of like those?

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I definitely think I'm leaning towards the S4s, since they just seem like the most "fun" pair of headphones, and I'll mainly just be using them for walking around and stuff. I would rather build up my "home" setup (with around the ear cans) for more seious listening, since it seems like that is what the RE0's are for.

Also, that refund is brillaint, didn't know about. I think I'm gonna get the S4s and if I'm unhappy, I'll return and try the RE0s.

Thanks for the input guys.

It's a good plan. Just give the S4's 120 hrs burn in before you really listen and get them from klipsch.com.

Then, listen for two weeks and decide if you like them. It take a few days to work through all the snap decisions back and forth on these sort of things.

If not, nothing's lost! And you can still get the RE0 if you like (look into a warranty there, someone on the boards had a cable issue with his pair).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back