Klipsch S4 or Head-Direct RE0?
Feb 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #31 of 40
It makes good sense that burn in has an effect on dynamic drivers. They have moving coils (diaphrapms) and it is low freq movement that causes bass, hence bass is more affected by burn in. The movement of this diaphrapm over time can cause it to loosen up over time. How much of an effect is dependent on the type of driver used in the IEM (not all drivers are the same). Im a true believer of burn in for dynamic drivers.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #32 of 40
^^ Yes, ever wondered why there are hardly any instances where0 people suggest 100 hours burn-in for Triple Fi 10s, Shure 530 and other balanced armature drivers ?

Why is it that we see people experiencing burn-in with only dynamic drivers ? Shouldn't the so called mass placebo effect called burn-in apply for balanced armature earphones ?

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fandangoya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to make a decision...they would mostly be used with iPod/iPhone. Looking for really good comfort and isolation....

Amp needed? What would be a good one for $100 or less?

Or recommend another pair or IEMs for $100 or less...

Thanks

Hey OP, I straight up asked head direct if i could return them if they "werent for me" or didnt fit well and they said "yes, 30 day return policy" couple that with best buy having a 30 day on klipsch products, and theres not much to think about...i ordered both. cant offer any insight as i just ordered last week. Pick one return the other, if their both really great in their own respects and can see your self actually using both pairs, keep em both, its only $80.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdaigle240 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey OP, I straight up asked head direct if i could return them if they "werent for me" or didnt fit well and they said "yes, 30 day return policy" couple that with best buy having a 30 day on klipsch products, and theres not much to think about...i ordered both. cant offer any insight as i just ordered last week. Pick one return the other, if their both really great in their own respects and can see your self actually using both pairs, keep em both, its only $80.

But about the RE0's, I'm assuming you will not be refunded the $5 shipping costs? Plus it will be ~$5 to ship them back... So it could be up to $10 to try the RE0's? Just curious.

L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #35 of 40
It depends on the type of music you're listening to.

If you're into modern popular music with a lot of thumping bass, the RE0 loses hands down to the Image S4. If you're into older style instrumental music, then the RE0 is probably a better choice.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #36 of 40
I've been using the RE0s with both a Fiio E5 and E1 amps for the iPod/iPhone and with both, the bass has been adequate, even to the bass-head in me.

The E1 sounds a bit more transparent and natural than the E5 but the E5 adds more body to the RE0s already well controlled and tight bass. Both amps will improve the RE0s bass response but I'm not sure if it will have as much "oomph" as the S4s. I haven't personally used the S4s but I've heard that the bass is tight, impactful and well controlled so if that's more important to you, the S4s might be a better choice.

Personally, I don't find the RE0s to be thin at all. They're very detailed, versatile and musical IEMs that I can use with a wide variety of genres and get a great deal of enjoyment out of.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #37 of 40
Two very different headphones.

I own the RE0s and my roommate owns the S4s. The S4s have gotten much less burn-in time than the RE0s but off the bat, the sound signatures sound almost opposite to me.

Both were tried amped on my EF2A (stock tubes with over 200 hours) using a uDAC from foobar2k (FLAC -> WASAPI).

The S4s are more suited towards bass-driven/bass-oriented songs.

The RE0s to me are more suited for songs that are not necessarily bass-driven (though for /me/, it has an adequate amount of bass). It has more of a focus on detail and tightness of the notes from what I've noticed, so you might not get that "punch" you're looking for from bass songs, but you can appreciate the bass detail.

The S4s immediately were darker. To give you an idea, when I put them on and listened to the same music, it sounded like I had a "veil" that was put over the upper mids and highs. It just seemed like the detail of the mids and highs went away to some degree, though not a "significant" one. The S4 bass is apparently stronger than the RE0's bass, no comparison. It has a more "deeper" and "enveloping" bass sound compared to a tight and refined RE0 bass.

Thus, it boils down to the music you listen to. IMO if you listen to a lot of bass-heavy songs like my roommate, you will be perfectly happy with these.

Hope that helps. Take note that this is for my particular configuration so the setup I'm running might add/remove certain colorations from the sound signatures that you might not get from your iPod. However, I did test the sound using my roommate's iPod with both the RE0 and S4 and got similar results.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #38 of 40
well ive hit, acoustic, screamo, hardcore, hip hop, jam bands, easy listening, rock and oldies, with the RE0s over the past 5-6hrs (right out of the box) and im thinking about not even trying the S4s. all songs are adequate, im pleased with the quality:quantity ratio of bass. Some songs pound and honestly any more is going to be tiresome, especially hip-hop synth. beats. iPhone really lacks presence below 75% volume but no probs off the computer. If i had to reach for something, I would say, 1, which is preference, Id like a hair brighter Mids, specifically the lower mids when fiddling with Eq. a slight boost seems to push the snarl of electric guitars and vocals forward a bit and makes then more engaging. 2, I can see why a wide soundstage is left to be desired. these are my first "real" phones of any type, so my ears are quite juvenile, but ive spent countless hours in my university acoustics lab so i wouldn’t say im a rookie to sound reproduction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame21x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
............. They're very detailed, versatile and musical IEMs that I can use with a wide variety of genres and get a great deal of enjoyment out of.

big +1 to this, I could see where more bass quantity could be nice here and there, but being that i jump across many genres on a daily basis, i could see more quantity being tiresome in my 5-8hrs of daily listening.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #39 of 40
Just for the heck of it you should check out the s4 and let us now what you think, your opinion would be very welcomed. I'm glad you like the re0's, I love them myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdaigle240 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well ive hit, acoustic, screamo, hardcore, hip hop, jam bands, easy listening, rock and oldies, with the RE0s over the past 5-6hrs (right out of the box) and im thinking about not even trying the S4s. all songs are adequate, im pleased with the quality:quantity ratio of bass. Some songs pound and honestly any more is going to be tiresome, especially hip-hop synth. beats. iPhone really lacks presence below 75% volume but no probs off the computer. If i had to reach for something, I would say, 1, which is preference, Id like a hair brighter Mids, specifically the lower mids when fiddling with Eq. a slight boost seems to push the snarl of electric guitars and vocals forward a bit and makes then more engaging. 2, I can see why a wide soundstage is left to be desired. these are my first "real" phones of any type, so my ears are quite juvenile, but ive spent countless hours in my university acoustics lab so i wouldn’t say im a rookie to sound reproduction.

big +1 to this, I could see where more bass quantity could be nice here and there, but being that i jump across many genres on a daily basis, i could see more quantity being tiresome in my 5-8hrs of daily listening.

May 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #40 of 40
I happened upon this thread looking for <$100, reasonably neutral IEMs.
For me, I suspect that'll be the RE0.

But I saw the following and had to ask -- (because I grok bright, warm & dark -- but)
can anyone describe the sonic characterics of olive-style sound?

Cheers,

- Richard

richard A T oldWithoutMoney D O T com

Quote:
... Right now I'm using cut up earplugs with holes punched through for a warmer, olive-style sound but with more treble. Best tips ever
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back